Need some advice please

johnnyd5844

Hello

First off I am new to this site so Hello.

I have the opportunity to hunt my aunts cabin in Hancock this weekend and I have some questions about what I should do.  I can hunt either the woods or the edge of a field. What would you guys suggest? Also do you think I should try calling? If so what type (grunt, bleat, rattle)? Also do you think I should try a decoy and some scents? If so what kind of scents like estrus, buck urine, doe urine? Should I drag it in or hang it? Do you think the rut has started?

Sorry for all of the questions its just I am new to hunting and I am hoping to get my first buck but I would be very happy with a doe haha. Thanks in advance.

I would try the field in the evening because deer will probably be coming out to get some food.  The scents and calls won't hurt but from what Ive heard on this site they do seem to possibly scare away does but other people seem to have very good luck bringing a buck into a closer range.  good luck hope you have a blast!!!

If you know the address, go to bing/google earth, etc. Get the most detailed aerial and throw it in MSPaint and remove the relevant location information...then post it up here.

The aerial will provide much more info to all of us and we can point you in the right general direction and explain why. That'll prove to be a much greater learning experience for you, and you'll retain the info a little better.

Fields are all situational in my book, at least at this time of year. Unless the does are on the field in the evening like clockwork, I'd start looking for staging areas, funnels, and travel corridors between bedding and food sources. Bucks are going to start roaming a bit this weekend and I'd want to get in a spot that puts me as close to them as possible at some point. Fields can be big and once they're on it, there's no guarantee that the buck will come close enough to you. I prefer being off the field, on a staging trail or on one where the buck can see/scent check for does in estrous.

Bring the calls...people have different techniques for what works at this time of the year. Go with your gut. Sometimes too much calling can be done...but there's also times where agressive calling seals the deal. Same with scents. If you want to play it safe, bring the calls, and only use them if you see a deer that's out of range and does not appear that it will come within shooting range.

Don't be afraid to try it all Johnny... sometimes experimenting as a new hunter is half the fun. Most anything you can try has worked for one guy or another. Don't be afraid to think outside the box.

Agreed. Best way to learn.

Ok thanks guys. What do you think about code blue estrus scents? Think its worth a shot dragging some to my stand? Here are some pictured of where I can hunt. They are bad because I took them from the screen from my phone I am not that good with computers.

IMG_7776-1.jpg

This is a picture of one spot. The 2 x's in the top right forner are where I have 2 stands. This part is mountainy with huge boulders and there is a stream at the bottom of the hill. I corcled the filed where there is corn. I was thinking about setting up there. I also circled another field where I can hunt.

Here is a pic of the other fields I can hunt

IMG_9980-1.jpg

The parts I circuled arwe where I saw deer one evening about a 3 weeks ago. I saw bucks and does here. The spot in the first picture with the corn field belongs to a farmer who told me he hasnt seen a buck there but it doesnt mean that they arent there. So i guess my question is which spot do you think looks best? I have a climbing stand so I can go to different spots for the morning, mid day and evening.

Nice job on the pics...

Do you know anything about the corn as far as it coming down? Fresh cut corn fields are always worth inspection. If the corn is coming down, or recently came down, say within 2-3 days....I'd hunt in that area. Check for trails entering the fields, and ones that paralell the field. The parallel trails can be good places because deer can stage there in the evenings before entering the field.

Depending on acorns in the area, the corn may be a real draw, especially if there's not much corn around in the area and acorns production is light. I live and hunt in farmland and can attest to seeing a buck at one place in the morning returning to bed, and seeing the same buck almost a mile away in the evening in a cut corn field. I'm sure other can vouch for similar experiences.

Inside corners are also worth picking out. Because it's hilly, although you may have a predominant wind direction, you'll likely be playing the swirling winds and thermals game. Although not a steadfast rule, thermals will rise in the a.m. as the temp heats up and drop as temps do in the evening. Play the wind while on stand, and entering and exiting. I like the box in the lower right of the first pic, it's worth inspecting.

The second pic...I think you answered your own question...although things can change in three weeks, your visual sighting is a good confirmation and a good place to "start out." At the very least, spending some time in a stand there may clue you in to a needed move, such as seeing deer take a specific trail that you were unaware of before.

As far as scents, brands are like cars, bows, etc. People have their favorites. I'm leery of scents, and will only buy Trophy Blend from a commerical standpoint for ease of use. Specifically, I'll order fresh stuff from Northern Whitetails. But, I typically only use it when decoying and very limited as the breeding starts...trying to peg a buck that isn't locked down.

Just remember not to get discouraged, and learn from mistakes that you recognize. I'm not the best hunter in the world, but some of the most valuable hunts I ever had were when I did something wrong and figured it out.

I'd be inclined to doing a morning and evening set at two places, unless you plan on sitting all day. Two walks in and out to the same spot just increased your precense to the deer...some people do it regularly and that works for them. I do it on occassion, but prefer two different stand sets when splitting hunts. Plus, you are learning this place...spread your time out in different spots and take notes to clue you in on the local deer movements. That's half the fun!

Thanks for the info. As of last weekend the corn was still standing. I am not sure of where they are entering the corn from because its thick behind it but I have an idea. The only thing is I think the deer may be bedding down right behind the cornfield there is a grassy area about 15 yards wide between the corn and woods. So do you think I should hunt this in the evening or morning if they are bedding there. I want to try some of the code blue estrus but I heard it scares does and I dont want that to happen. What do you think?

This is my plan of hunting the spots. Tell me what you think

Friday night- Hunt the cornfield

Saturday morning threw afternoon- Hunt the woods in the top right of first pic.

Saturday evening- Hunt the back field in secong pic

Sunday morning- No idea maybe one of the filed I have to see.

What do you think of this order?

Do you only have the use of this area just for this weekend, or is it for the rest of the season? Tactics will be different if you only have a couple of days to jump in there and hit pay dirt immediately. If you have time, I would suggest devoting at least one morning and evening stand in an upwind location for observation of the fields. This will give you a quick idea of how the fields are being used, and where the points of entry are. I think regardless of what your time frame is, some fast scouting time is going to be required. Otherwise you're just flying blind. If you are there only for the weekend, I would plan on spending the first day with intensive scouting of field edges looking for entrance and exit trails. Then try to follow these trails back into the surrounding cover to try to locate staging areas and/or find potential bedding areas. Somehow you have to establish patterns without the luxury of time and experience.

That's a pretty tough assignment to jump into a strange area and make it pay off in one weekend. If you have more time available to you, the job gets a lot easier.

Doc

The grassy spot between the area may be a good spot, especially is it's concealed from the road. It's not a definite that they are bedding in the grassy area...they could be in the corn...or in the thick area.

I might consider a stand location where you can view it with binos the first evening...mark times/locations of entry. Use that for the next evening, assuming wind is right. Depending on what I saw the first evening, I might be inclined to take a very quick, scent-cautious walk on the edge of that grassy area for more information at midday the next day.

You may find a scrape in that area. I'm not all that high on hunting right over a scrape, but scrapes in these locations can be prime candidates for daytime visits, which are a smaller percentage of total scrape visits. Still, that area sounds like it would get activity within shooting hours.

A lot of variables here, depending on what's planted in the field, location, the wind direction, etc. etc.

But, as another poster mentioned - it pays dividends to try it all. Nothing is wrong with that. Deer can be very unpredictable at this point, and a lot of it is being in the right spot at the right time. A hunter can make themselves sick, trying to figure out where to sit, and then nothing shows up.

Best of luck, and just have fun!  ;D