October Lull

LuckyPickle123

Is it really a lul or change in pattern. We scout all summer and in fall things are changing fast. Acorns start to drop. The deer that had cornfields to bed in, do  not when the corn is cut . All that change along with bulking up for the winter and getting a hot doe changes the whole pattern we thought we had. Hunting season starts at a time when deer start to get into survival mode. So what we perceive as a LUL is a change in the pattern we saw all summer when food and browes was plentiful.

the guys that believe in the lull seem to be the ones who usually NEVER see shooter deer during that time period. find those doe bedding areas with the right strategy to hunt it and 99% of the time i promise you, you will see big bucks moving around during day light hours. 

just my opinion... otherwise hunt your normal stands during that time see NO bucks and wait for your lull to be over. bucks are not going to stay bedded up 24-7 and wait, there in particular areas of timber looking for one thing. 

i have areas i hunt where i DO NOT even know where mature bucks bed up before this time. i hone in on where the doe bed up and when that time of year hits those bucks know right where to be. its like clock work.. its almost funny how it works and its hard for me to say what times to be there, i usually go in for the long hall and sit all day just because i have bucks come in at 8am all the way up around 2pm.

some guys simply stay home during this time, the way i see it is, you have to be in the woods to kill one and being in the right spot at that time can really get you in em.

No such thing? I think a lot of whitetail experts have some helpful information on it:

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/featured/alsheimer-how-the-october-lull-influences-your-deer-hunting

No offense to Charlie. He's a great person and after I sent him a letter as a younger adult, he called me back and gave me very sound advice relating to my career path in outdoor writing. His discussion was one of the two moments that convinced me to pursue the path - even as a partial income or hobby income.

But, some of the things he puts out there are starting to really be questioned and regressed as time and science goes on. Back dating fetuses show that the breeding doesn't change much at all from year to year - really shaking up his perception that the moon can make wild swings in rut timing.

Question for you - you posted in the pic I took of me in it with a buck in his bed, and you totally avoided any conversation about it. Why?

You can't see the forest for the trees. I on the other hand, can't wait for legal crossbows, simply for your sake.

Good lord dude. I'm trying to let it die, that's why. But you won't. So he bedded down. Bucks bed. My skepticism is with your belief that is this is where he beds every night after he tucks his yearlings in. We had a disagreement. Can we not just move on? You seem like a good hunter with good knowledge. People are going to disagree from time to time, that's all. If it can't turn into a ball busting joke between you and I, then you've taken it way to personal.

No offense to Charlie. He's a great person

But, some of the things he puts out there are starting to really be questioned and regressed as time and science goes on. Back dating fetuses show that the breeding doesn't change much at all from year to year - really shaking up his perception that the moon can make wild swings in rut timing.

This I agree with you on. Personal study for me points more toward sunrise times then anything.