One of New York's Finer Departments at Work

I had a few private contracts with some union companys and I personally seen things and had to do things that made me sick.  Just for an example I will give you detail of one such instance.  I was called in to fix a large printing press for at the time Niagara Mohawk.  In this particular instance they had several jobs that were a rush and had to get out on monday. Now mind you it was about 2 days of printing.  Tuesday I go in trouble shoot the machine, order parts for over night early am delivery per the companys request. Wednesday I show up when parts where due to arrive.  After a couple hours of waiting on parts while I was tearing the machine down ready to replace the bad parts I questioned where they were.  I track the shipment and find out it was delivered.  But the guy who made rounds through the building to drop off deliveries to each department had called in sick.  I had zero security access to the loading dock to retrieve them myself.  SO thursday rolls around and I return nice and early to install parts.  I get all the parts in the machine and request paper to test print to fine tune.  Yep the warehouse guy who gets all the paper and supplies called in sick.  Friday I show back up and test print and fine tune the printer.   By mid day I release the press back to the operator.   Mind you the operator sat in a chair tuesday, wednesday, thursday and half a day friday drinking coffee, reading the newspaper and any magazine he could scrounge up all while making close to 40 bucks an hour.  SInce the jobs where due monday all he could do was brag to me how he had to work the weekend pulling time and a half. What is baffling is the only reason I got that contract was being low bidder on it yet they waste more money than any one of us can fathom.  Every month when I look at my electric bill I cant help but shake my head and get pissed. So how is Unions good for us cause all I know is that stupid antics just like that cost me and everyone else more money while that press operator reaped all the benefits and was happier than a pig in crap.  Makes me sick.

I had a few private contracts with some union companys and I personally seen things and had to do things that made me sick. Just for an example I will give you detail of one such instance. I was called in to fix a large printing press for at the time Niagara Mohawk. In this particular instance they had several jobs that were a rush and had to get out on monday. Now mind you it was about 2 days of printing. Tuesday I go in trouble shoot the machine, order parts for over night early am delivery per the companys request. Wednesday I show up when parts where due to arrive. After a couple hours of waiting on parts while I was tearing the machine down ready to replace the bad parts I questioned where they were. I track the shipment and find out it was delivered. But the guy who made rounds through the building to drop off deliveries to each department had called in sick. I had zero security access to the loading dock to retrieve them myself. SO thursday rolls around and I return nice and early to install parts. I get all the parts in the machine and request paper to test print to fine tune. Yep the warehouse guy who gets all the paper and supplies called in sick. Friday I show back up and test print and fine tune the printer. By mid day I release the press back to the operator. Mind you the operator sat in a chair tuesday, wednesday, thursday and half a day friday drinking coffee, reading the newspaper and any magazine he could scrounge up all while making close to 40 bucks an hour. SInce the jobs where due monday all he could do was brag to me how he had to work the weekend pulling time and a half. What is baffling is the only reason I got that contract was being low bidder on it yet they waste more money than any one of us can fathom. Every month when I look at my electric bill I cant help but shake my head and get pissed. So how is Unions good for us cause all I know is that stupid antics just like that cost me and everyone else more money while that press operator reaped all the benefits and was happier than a pig in crap. Makes me sick.

Seems to me like that private union company made you some money that week. If I were you I would simply boycott all union companies because you don't like their business practices. Let them hire someone else to fix their machine next time.

It's always the same shpiel.

"The union does good for me, but I have a problem with a business that does good for them."

When is someone going to explain how the unions are good for all?

I'm not trying to convince anyone that unions are good for all since Unions don't usually benefit those that are not members. Being a member of one I benefit everyday with job security, fair salary and benefits, and of course, my pension!

Pension ? Who needs a pension I'll work until I'm 75 and then just die.haha,for you people who are in business I understand your attitudes against collective bargaining,seniority,OVERTIME,all things that cut into your profit, and your forty million dollar salaries to be the presidents of nimo, or nat fuel gas or verizon but for you guys who have this idea that the union worker is some kind of freeloader,well we work hard for our money some harder than others but we do this with the thought that if we live to retire at a decent age we'll be able to actually afford to.as far as union rules the company or gov has,as part of collective bargaining, the ability to negotiate changes to the work rules with the unions when they feel that work rules are hurting their business.and to you people who have a problem because you chose or choose to work at non union, at will employee shops and Get screwed by your employers don't rail against us,go screw yourselves.essentially you do everyday when you repeat the union bashers stupid half truths against unions.or....go join a tea party group.

Seems to me like that private union company made you some money that week. If I were you I would simply boycott all union companies because you don't like their business practices. Let them hire someone else to fix their machine next time.

Absolutely the opposite, It was a contract, not an hourly job, you make an annual bid.  The place cost me money when they pulled stupid antics like that.  Instead of getting the job done I had extra travel, extra wasted time that could have been used to service time and material accounts or other contracts.  Antics like that have a major trickle down effect.  It effected me and any customer that need my service, imagine how many others in that week it effected and most of all who pays for it in the end to cover operating cost on frivolous spending like that.  

Pension ? Who needs a pension I'll work until I'm 75 and then just die.haha,for you people who are in business I understand your attitudes against collective bargaining,seniority,OVERTIME,all things that cut into your profit, and your forty million dollar salaries to be the presidents of nimo, or nat fuel gas or verizon but for you guys who have this idea that the union worker is some kind of freeloader,well we work hard for our money some harder than others but we do this with the thought that if we live to retire at a decent age we'll be able to actually afford to.as far as union rules the company or gov has,as part of collective bargaining, the ability to negotiate changes to the work rules with the unions when they feel that work rules are hurting their business.and to you people who have a problem because you chose or choose to work at non union, at will employee shops and Get screwed by your employers don't rail against us,go screw yourselves.essentially you do everyday when you repeat the union bashers stupid half truths against unions.or....go join a tea party group.

The company I work for has some Union and some Non-union facilities.  The Non-union facilities make more $, have the same insurance plus have other bonus programs the Union plants don't so we aren't the ones getting screwed, that'd be the ones who pay some Union for the "privilege" of going to work every day.

One major advantage of the non-union shops that makes our efficiency leaps and bounds above the union ones is that if we need more help in a certain area we just move people into the breach.  They can't do that at the union facilities because of all the "That's not my job" crap.

The company I work for has some Union and some Non-union facilities.  The Non-union facilities make more $, have the same insurance plus have other bonus programs the Union plants don't so we aren't the ones getting screwed, that'd be the ones who pay some Union for the "privilege" of going to work every day.

One major advantage of the non-union shops that makes our efficiency leaps and bounds above the union ones is that if we need more help in a certain area we just move people into the breach.  They can't do that at the union facilities because of all the "That's not my job" crap.

there's no doubt that there are some unions that don't do much for their members other than collect dues...........on the other hand, there are a few that help their members go leaps and and bounds ahead of some private sector jobs.....I belong to the second type of union and wouldn't be where I am without them.

• 2 weeks later...

No they are not. You are just wrong.

As an educator the first thread does not make sense.  There is no rule about not doing homework after school.  What is the name of the after school program?  Chances are if its a program like YEP, they receive funds to do a specific curriculum with the kids.  The school may be pocketing the money that was earmarked for specific and important activities then letting kids do homework instead.

I'll be you a doughnut I'm right.

Great, an educator that can't spell donut.  :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great another high school drop out who thinks he knows everything.   :blink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut

LOL!!  Another graduate of the Univ of MD and Georgetown Univ Law School who would bet he knows a lot more than you do pal.

Nobody uses any other form of the spelling of "Donut" in this country anymore, unless you are a pompous ass.

Edited by Mr VJP

• 3 weeks later...

No they are not. You are just wrong.

As an educator the first thread does not make sense.  There is no rule about not doing homework after school.  What is the name of the after school program?  Chances are if its a program like YEP, they receive funds to do a specific curriculum with the kids.  The school may be pocketing the money that was earmarked for specific and important activities then letting kids do homework instead.

I'll be you a doughnut I'm right.

this makes sense otherwise they'd be told to go pound salt (or politely setup communication regarding what the issue is).  Even then I think the school would be contacted about the issue first.  In my field of engineering, people make up regulations and codes all the time who claim to be the authority.  we have ways of politely asking them where there thoughts are coming from.  most of the time they can't answer that or send proper correspondence stating where it came from because it's not correct and then the situation just goes away like it never happened.