Damn ticks

MACHINIST

Holy moley... hunted the same area, same trails as we have been all fall, but today we all came out with new decorations. Must have had 10+ ticks on (the outside) of our clothing each. This is the worst I've seen it in this area, and I pay close attention.

Jennifer, have you tried the Sawyers? I've just sprayed aaaalll my stuff, outer clothing, backpack, climber seat with it for the 1st time, I have absolutely no ticks up in the home woods here in the Adirondacks, but I'm very curious to see how well it works come the 16th when SZ gun opens and I'm hunting the tick woods. All these people on here and buddies I know personally swear by it.  Has anyone else here seen it "not" work??

Just looked up the ryno skin.How is it to wear?Light?

I just Googled Rynoskin.   Looks like the light weight - skin tight under armour.  Similar to the summer weight.    I can't imagine it being any thing else.

Else, if you look at the Rynoskin web site.  Their English is poor.   The pictures are not impressive.   I'm not sure what to think.

Holy moley... hunted the same area, same trails as we have been all fall, but today we all came out with new decorations. Must have had 10+ ticks on (the outside) of our clothing each. This is the worst I've seen it in this area, and I pay close attention.

I went down to penn yan Saturdsy with my brother to talk to some of the landowners whose property we hunt. Just standing on the road talking to one of the landowners I pulled one off my brothers jacket. He went up in the woods to check his ground blind and came out with about 10 on him. The area he hunts down there he always seems to come out of the woods with some on his clothes. We need a really long spell of cold weather. And a long cold winter would help to. The last few mild winters have not helped either.

Jennifer, have you tried the Sawyers? I've just sprayed aaaalll my stuff, outer clothing, backpack, climber seat with it for the 1st time, I have absolutely no ticks up in the home woods here in the Adirondacks, but I'm very curious to see how well it works come the 16th when SZ gun opens and I'm hunting the tick woods. All these people on here and buddies I know personally swear by it.  Has anyone else here seen it "not" work??

DS:  When used properly, Sawyers works... period.

I've always heard there is a direct connection between tick population and rodent population, I did a quick search and found this, has anyone else heard of this, and does it seem to hold any truth?................................................. "The probability of more people and their ‘litmus’ dogs becoming infected increases with the more there are of tick infested rodent species that harbor this, and other diseases in the environment that these people inhabit or visit. In one field study it was reported that “the strongest predictors of a current year's risk of Lyme disease were the prior year's abundance of mice and chipmunks and abundance of acorns 2 y previously. In no case did inclusion of deer or climate variables improve the predictive power of models based on rodents, acorns, or both” 

I'm surprised to hear that.   Maybe yours eat too much chicken feed.

It's very possible- I meal feed them, but they don't have free range 100% of the time so they may have grown used to only picking the larger insects. Some of the breeds I have are not as good as foraging as others, too. I just know that guineas have a reputation as putting a hurt on the tick population in any given yard/area.

I'm going out to get some today. If our one little sporting goods shop or Walmart doesn't carry it I'll order some online. When my dad looked at me and said that they (the ticks) were taking the enjoyment out of hunting for him, I knew I had better find something that works better than OFF...

I've always heard there is a direct connection between tick population and rodent population, I did a quick search and found this, has anyone else heard of this, and does it seem to hold any truth?................................................. "The probability of more people and their ‘litmus’ dogs becoming infected increases with the more there are of tick infested rodent species that harbor this, and other diseases in the environment that these people inhabit or visit. In one field study it was reported that “the strongest predictors of a current year's risk of Lyme disease were the prior year's abundance of mice and chipmunks and abundance of acorns 2 y previously. In no case did inclusion of deer or climate variables improve the predictive power of models based on rodents, acorns, or both” 

This is accurate, based on the research I've done. Of course, I must make the disclaimer that I'm not an expert!! This would fit with our area, as we have not had a good acorn mast in a few years.

My parents have had more dog ticks on their dogs this year than ever before, too. This is simply from their well-mowed lawn, in town.