Damn ticks

MACHINIST

Sorry to hear this. It's a good reminder that this is a bad year for ticks, please everyone check yourselves when you get home. If you have a SO to help, that's great, otherwise invest in a handheld mirror. They like to get into places where the sun don't shine if you know what I mean!

Lyme is nothing to mess with. It gets downplayed a lot in the medical field but if it hits you wrong it can really mess up your entire life, trust me!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. It's a good reminder that this is a bad year for ticks, please everyone check yourselves when you get home. If you have a SO to help, that's great, otherwise invest in a handheld mirror. They like to get into places where the sun don't shine if you know what I mean!

Lyme is nothing to mess with. It gets downplayed a lot in the medical field but if it hits you wrong it can really mess up your entire life, trust me!

My friends son was diagnosed with lyme disease over the summer. I always check myself when I get home but after seeing what he is going through with the meds and all I am extra diligent now. Definately worth a trip to the doctor.

Where does one check for them? Knock on wood i dont think ive ever had one on me....now that i say that probably will. Then again i tuck pants in and shirt in, then put coveralls on.

Everywhere but especially in areas that tend to be warm and moist. Arm pits, "upper thighs" etc. Really though check everywhere. Tucking pants and shirt in, etc will help but trust me, use the stuff I posted the link on.  Spray clothes everywhere as directed but pay special attention around collars, pant legs, cuffs, etc.

Also bear in mind that there are multiple kinds of ticks. It's the tiny little deer ticks that are the bad ones. 

Does that stuff smell real bad?Anyone ever had deer smell it while in stand?

Doesn't to me, but honestly?  I don't really gaf.... I don't want ticks and the possibility of lyme.  I like venison but not that much.

Edit: it's a natural insecticide made from certain species of the chrysanthemum

Edited by SteveC

I use the sawyer stuff it works very well. It smell when you put it on so I do it when I will not be out for a couple days . I can not smell any hint of it after a while. Says it lasts a few wash cycles too. I am getting low and need to get more. I got at Bass last time. Anyone know anywhere else that sells it? Or mail order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ticks are a disgusting creature.....I've had good results treating my clothes with permethrin. I was a member of Deer search for a few years, and living on Long Island, my dogs would get covered every time we went out and I would spend hours trying to get them off my dogs and always missed a few...that was enough to make me give it up.

When I was in Missouri for the Army the woods there were loaded with ticks. We were told that the best ways to prevent is to wear long socks, keep pants legs tucked in, sleeves tightly cuffed. Popular places I've found was the groin area, arm pit, and behind the ears. The sprays do wore from what I've read too. I know they gave us deep woods with high DEET in it and they said it helps against ticks too, not sure if it actually did though.

Doesn't to me, but honestly?  I don't really gaf.... I don't want ticks and the possibility of lyme.  I like venison but not that much.

Edit: it's a natural insecticide made from certain species of the chrysanthemum

I agree...I bought the stuff but unfortunately got bit by a tick before applying it to my clothes... the first time for me in about 25 years of hunting.  Luckily I found and removed it within 24 hours and got a dose of doxycycline within 72 hours.  A good source of info about lyme disease can be found here http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/

I didn't waste any time applying the permethrin after that.  I noticed a slight odor when applying it, but nothing when it dried.  

Does that stuff smell real bad?Anyone ever had deer smell it while in stand?

If it keep's the ticks or other off or away from you who give a s***. I am spraying every thing this year

after being bitten 18 times by Yellow Jackets.The last time I just dropped everything and went right to the ER., Just is not worth waiing for something to happen that might kill you.