Fat and hair no blood.

First-light

For the record I was up a tree 15 feet. I put the 10 yard pin on the bottom of the shoulder. deer was standing 5 yards out. That should work..............

last one I shot at about the same distance and height, I put my top pin at the bottom of the chest (broadside) and hit perfectly..........my top pin is good for 10-20 yards.

• Like 1

Shooting a deer from 15 feet up, facing you at 3-5 yards is a very difficult shot. Over the years I have taken several deer within yards of the base of my ladder or tree and it's not something I would recommend without a ton of practice on  deer target under the same type of conditions. I would never suggest doing it at a deer quartering towards you. It is a recipe for disaster. That close I have one lunged them, spine shot them and even had one run off as the arrow went down through the back and out the chest leaving the arrow stuck in the dirt below him. At that close a range you need to aim LOW or you will shoot over the deer. In fact that close I actually see the leaves on the ground under  the targeted spot. At least 40 years I have been bow hunting this has been my experience.

The bigger issue now though is where is your deer? It sounds to me like you hit him at the top of the shoulder and passed either through the brisket or chest wall. You may have one lung shot the deer and that can be a real hard find because they can go a long way. If this deer was a nice one or not is really of little significance here. What is important is he was good enough to put an arrow into I hope he is good enough to go look for, and what type of shot to avoid in the future. I hope you find your deer. Good luck!

• Like 2

For the record I was up a tree 15 feet. I put the 10 yard pin on the bottom of the shoulder. deer was standing 5 yards out. That should work..............

well then theres the rest of the story no that wont work... think about the ANGLE

you were aiming LOW to begin with with a 10 yard pin, essentially that pin should suffice and act like my tree stand pin. you want the point of entry HIGHER. 15 feet at 5 yards if you hit high will exit out so low,  A LOT LOWER then you think. so you just answered it for yourself. you hit probably low with your 10 yard pin right where you were aiming the arrow came out almost immediately causing no trauma,  hence why you have a lot of fat from that area and no blood. thats MY HONEST OPINION. that deer is alive i bet if you set a cam up and he is sticking around you will see it.

just some insight, a 5 yard shot at 15 feet, i personally would hold high lung to top of the the lung and come out somewhere where the pit is on the off side. thats how low the arrow would exit.

not critiquing, just giving you some insight. when they say shot placement is key, its all distances especially the close ones. knowing the path your arrow is going to take is something you have to imagine in your head. those shot simulators are good educating tools 

• Like 2

So with a 10 yard pin he should be aiming dead on but with a 20 yard pin he should be aiming low?  Not trying to be sarcastic here.  I've been hunting on the ground but I'm really thinking about going back to the tree stand this weekend since I've gotten busted the last few times.  I don't have a 10 yard pin set so I'll be using a 20 yard pin.  A close proximity, I should put my 20 yard pin under where I want the arrow to go?

So with a 10 yard pin he should be aiming dead on but with a 20 yard pin he should be aiming low?  Not trying to be sarcastic here.  I've been hunting on the ground but I'm really thinking about going back to the tree stand this weekend since I've gotten busted the last few times.  I don't have a 10 yard pin set so I'll be using a 20 yard pin.  A close proximity, I should put my 20 yard pin under where I want the arrow to go?

I have one pin that covers 10 & 20 yards.....if I'm shooting from the ground, it's dead on at 20 yards and an inch or two high at 10 yards.........if I am in a treestand, and the deer is broadside at 10 yards, I'll put the pin at the bottom of the chest........if closer, I may hold slighty under the deer.......that's what works for me.

• Like 1

Deer was looked for yesterday and today. We even had the help of some 4legged friends no luck. I had one other friend come in to help out this afternoon and have not heard from hm yet.

were you aiming to have the arrow enter the front of the deer, like in front of the shoulder / neck area or was it more towards the side of the deer to have the arrow enter above the shoulder? if what I'm asking makes sense to you.

If they are walking to you they will walk away, be patient in a tree stand and go for the quartering away or broad side shot...  If you shoot out of a stand, practice in a stand at all angles of shots you will take.  Slow bows will hit the same spot at 10 yard and 30 when the rest is set to high due to ark.  At 300 fps with a properly set up bow rest I have to aim about 1 inch low with my 20 yard pin at 5 ft -10 yards.   If I use my 30 yard pin I might miss the target high...

Everyone has different bows at different poundage and draw length and arrow rest differ, plain and simple if you take these shots you need to practice them...  If they are directly under you wait, every step they take gives you a bigger target! 

I know this is easer said than done especially with a buck you want to shoot but it makes for a much better shot with more vitals exposed.  If you really want a good, ethical, high percentage shot take a quartering away shot, even bad shots usually result in a kill with so much exposed and pass through usually results in easy tracking. 

• Like 1

for a extremely close range shot like that from 15 feet  or more, i would.... anything 15 yards or out you can use your 20 yard pin and shouldn't have any issues at all otherwise it would be on the hunter. but as far as gear, yes a pin above your 20 for shots under 15 yards would work wonders. try it tho, take arrow with a field point in your stand, when things are slow pick a leaf that sticks out and use your 10 yard pin and take a shot at 8-10 and see what happens. should be right there with your 20 you will be high

but you guys have to do what works for you BUT you have to try and practice that shot to know that. i happen to have a:

• tree stand pin 5-15 yards

• 20-35 yard or so

• and 35 out

(3 pins)

i think 10 yard pins are funny to me. who needs a 10 yard pin? with most bows your talking about not even an inch difference. slower older bows maybe a tad more. but an inch at 10 yards is still killing them quick if the shot is placed right.  that 10 yard pin some have might be perfectly setup for close range shots in the tree stand holding dead on or you might have to tweak it after a few shots but that pin takes the guess work "oh i use my 20 yard and aim high / low" one pin, one shot one less thing to worry about and it will allow you to focus more on the animal and anything else you have to such as brush in your way and so on. if you have to worry about how close or far he is and where you have to aim high/low with your 20 then good luck. if it works for you tho, use it. if you want to try something easier, alls im doing is providing and idea that works. ive killed many deer under 10 and when you do they go down faster then any other deer ive shot and BLOOD IMMEDIATELY every time without fail.... i prefer those chip shot shots because they truly are chip shots for me and knowing where to slide that arrow in is key. just wish they would all come in close lol

If they are walking to you they will walk away, be patient in a tree stand and go for the quartering away or broad side shot...  If you shoot out of a stand, practice in a stand at all angles of shots you will take.  Slow bows will hit the same spot at 10 yard and 30 when the rest is set to high due to ark.  At 300 fps with a properly set up bow rest I have to aim about 1 inch low with my 20 yard pin at 5 ft -10 yards.   If I use my 30 yard pin I might miss the target high...

Everyone has different bows at different poundage and draw length and arrow rest differ, plain and simple if you take these shots you need to practice them...  If they are directly under you wait, every step they take gives you a bigger target! 

I know this is easer said than done especially with a buck you want to shoot but it makes for a much better shot with more vitals exposed.  If you really want a good, ethical, high percentage shot take a quartering away shot, even bad shots usually result in a kill with so much exposed and pass through usually results in easy tracking. 

This is exactly what my Brother-inlaw told me. I should of waited until he passed me but I was worried he would wind me. The wind was blowing right in his face. 

were you aiming to have the arrow enter the front of the deer, like in front of the shoulder / neck area or was it more towards the side of the deer to have the arrow enter above the shoulder? if what I'm asking makes sense to you.

Side of the deer on the shoulder.

no offence first light, if you were using your 10 yard pin and aiming low on top of that, your were doomed right out of the gate.

if you held higher on him with that pin even with the slight quarter to, it may have come together. you live and you learn. hop in your stand and try that pin holding right on like i told elmo. see where your hitting...

but you guys have to do what works for you BUT you have to try and practice that shot to know that. i happen to have a:

• tree stand pin 5-15 yards

• 20-35 yard or so

• and 35 out

(3 pins)

i think 10 yard pins are funny to me. who needs a 10 yard pin? with most bows your talking about not even an inch difference. slower older bows maybe a tad more. but an inch at 10 yards is still killing them quick if the shot is placed right.  that 10 yard pin some have might be perfectly setup for close range shots in the tree stand holding dead on or you might have to tweak it after a few shots but that pin takes the guess work "oh i use my 20 yard and aim high / low" one pin, one shot one less thing to worry about and it will allow you to focus more on the animal and anything else you have to such as brush in your way and so on. if you have to worry about how close or far he is and where you have to aim high/low with your 20 then good luck. if it works for you tho, use it. if you want to try something easier, alls im doing is providing and idea that works. ive killed many deer under 10 and when you do they go down faster then any other deer ive shot and BLOOD IMMEDIATELY every time without fail.... i prefer those chip shot shots because they truly are chip shots for me and knowing where to slide that arrow in is key. just wish they would all come in close lol

I never gave much thought to a treestand pin......good idea, I've always just compensated with my top pin with good results, but may try that next year.

Belo

From the angle of your arrow it looks like you were not only high above, but also just behind that deer with him walking away from you. Correct? 

he said he was 30 feet up, thats high in a tree and honestly that how high you want to hit him at the height... that deer could have rolled on the arrow so its heard to tell the position of the deer. BUT, if i were to guess id say almost perfectly broadside or maybe slight q-way (just slight). at 15-20 feet you wanna hit em maybe 2" lower then that to take out both lungs and come out low. you hit em in the middle or slightly lower and the mortality changes fast.

Deer was not found, my cams are out. Hopefully I'll catch him on the cams or again from my stand.

What I have learned:

•aim high on a shot close in think exit hole placement.

•quartering to is not a great shot, let the deer pass for a greater chance at the vitals (quartering away)

Deer was not found, my cams are out. Hopefully I'll catch him on the cams or again from my stand.

What I have learned:

•quartering to is not a great shot, let the deer pass for a greater chance at the vitals (quartering away)

I think on a close shot you want to aim low......aim at the point you want the arrow to exit, not enter................I think this is what most people are saying, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What I have learned:

depending on how close he is you want the HIT him high lung...aiming maybe different depending on your setup. 

take a few shots to confirm what you have to do. good luck bud, hope he comes out for you again

I misunderstood Belo. I thought this was a deer you shot. Sorry about that! The point I was trying to make though was that it looked like a quartering away shot, not faced forward. As far as holding high or low goes when your shooting up close, my best advice would be for anyone here to try it for themselves. I shoot with just one pin out to thirty yards but limit myself hunting to twenty and under, usually much under, and when shooting further away hold pretty much on with my current bow (a little higher with my old bow), and lower if real close up.

I try to keep my same form and just bend at the waist, but hold low. Like I said, best bet is for anyone who plans to take such shots to do a lot of practice from elevations the same as they plan to hunt and to practice on a deer target at different angles. It really gives you a sense of the real deal when you practice that way.