will you take a deer of 2.5 years old or younger?

skyzmine

When I first started I was just happy to see deer, so the first one that walked within range I took a shot at usually, except for fawns.  Since I've had the opportunity to harvest a lot of deer I've made a personal choice to shoot 3.5 or better.  If I need meat, I'll harvest a doe.  But, it should be whatever is reasonable for the hunter.  If someone doens't hunt often and only gets out occasionally, then by all means shoot whatever you want.  If you try to manage your property and waiting on a 3.5 seems unreasonable, then shoot a 2.5.  Especially the younger hunters, they can shoot anything and everything if it helps the hunting heritage.  My sister just started hunting last year and we manage our piece of property pretty heavily, but when she took her first buck, a 1 1/2 old 5 point, we were all thrilled for her even if it wasn't in the plans.  Seeing people happy is what matters the most.

mx - what happens when the next buck you take is a 12 point?! are you going to wait for a bigger one!?!?!?  lol!

probably wont have to worry about that for quite some time, im lucky if i see a 2.5 yr old buck where i hunt. but when that happens and i take a really decent buck guess ill have to re write the rules!!! hahaha

When I first started I was just happy to see deer, so the first one that walked within range I took a shot at usually, except for fawns.  Since I've had the opportunity to harvest a lot of deer I've made a personal choice to shoot 3.5 or better.  If I need meat, I'll harvest a doe.  But, it should be whatever is reasonable for the hunter.  If someone doens't hunt often and only gets out occasionally, then by all means shoot whatever you want.  If you try to manage your property and waiting on a 3.5 seems unreasonable, then shoot a 2.5.  Especially the younger hunters, they can shoot anything and everything if it helps the hunting heritage.  My sister just started hunting last year and we manage our piece of property pretty heavily, but when she took her first buck, a 1 1/2 old 5 point, we were all thrilled for her even if it wasn't in the plans.  Seeing people happy is what matters the most.

mx - what happens when the next buck you take is a 12 point?! are you going to wait for a bigger one!?!?!?  lol!

Yep pretty much hunt along the same lines. The best I can take or the best buck I can find with some age. We do shoot all age classes of deer from our herd though. No button bucks. Not always perfect but for the past 20 plus years. Two button bucks were harvested.These are my standards though not the rules. I've taken a few 3 .5 's that only scored 105 to 115. And 3.5's that scored better.

I practice my own kind of QDM, but I dont enforce my practices on the people I hunt with (dad and uncle), however last two years my uncle and dad have opted to pass on 1.5 year olds during the rifle season. I will take a younger buck (not button bucks) during the bow season, however during the rifle I'm much more selective. Last rifle season I let 4 bucks walk and countless does.  For some odd reason I cant bring myself to shoot does (have not in years) and if I dont have it in me they get a pass. Next bow season I think the 1.5 old bucks will get a pass.

The deer dont wait around when I ask them for a birth certificate. A first year fawn is easy enough to tell by its stubby face and square proportions, but at the end of its 2nd summer (approx. 18 months) size can vary tremendously by region. I have shot 5 1/2 year old northern tier bucks with very small headgear, and 18 month old Yates county bucks with very long 10 pt. racks. Muzzleloading season and doe tags I look to put venison in the freezer, so the first grown deer that qualifies feeds me. If i am seeing alot of deer, I will be more patient. Dont be fooled by TV show influenced hunting partners about what is big...