First Dirt hole set

WesternNY

The Day I caught the coon, I pulled my coon sets and furthest dirt hole sets due to time constraints checking the traps.  I kept 2 dirt hole sets that had no action except for one that looked like a deer stepped on the side of the jaw.

Yesterday I put out 3 new dirt sets with my new MB650IL, I meant to get some coon sets out today, but never got to it.

The long weekend coming up I will get them out as well as a hay set for k9's.   If only work didn't get in the way.

Understand the work thing it's a love hate thing ... canines are starting to work sets looking for food trash pile sets been connecting lately but good luck to you up early tomorrow to beat everyone to set up a the swamps tomorrow for rats

how are you constructing your "trash piles"? Are you burying the pile or setting trails leading to it? Just curious.

Depends what I got to work with I put it were a natural backing keeps them working front side and got a coon carcass with deer meat under a boulder with area in front they can work at with two traps offset.. coyote danced on it last nite trap froze but re bedded and let him try it again ... now with snow I can set trails but it was hard to tell without snow .. how do u set your up

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been running just the 3 dirt sets within100 yards of the house to make it easier to check on work days and to prevent having to push deer in season.  Today I decided to put out 8 coon sets and 5 yote sets, 1 with 2 traps.

I am trying the Mark Zaggman Conduit set and then hay sets.

This is my first one, instead of a dirt hole you use grey plastic conduit for your bait/lure.... I have sheeps wools in there.

The white is trapping anti freeze over mainly peet.  This set was a dirt hole and something dug the wool and bait out so it needed a remake.. I think it was froze.

20131207_104107_zps16097e10.jpg

This is my second conduit combo hay set.... trap is just laying on the ground with a little antifreeze powder and hay over the trap.  makes for a good winter set.

Before the hay

20131207_123005_zpse6e97e56.jpg

With the hay

20131207_123131_zps651bd768.jpg

This is a good pic of a traditional hay set.  2 coil springs one on each side of the small hay pile.  They are attracted to the hay... think mice.  In the main pile I have sheeps wool soaked in ground up mice bait from Night Owl Lures.... from the Rochester area.  Give them a look, high quality lures and bait.

20131207_121226_zpsca992986.jpg

Again traps are just laying on the ground, staked well, not dug in.

Coon sets 8, are DP Dukes with dog food and Plum Loco from Night Owl.

I set my yote sets 10 on center from bait... except the double hay...  for that they should prance around looking for mice and hopefully stepping on the pan.  I do have fox, but main purpose is to reduce my whitetail predators.

Edited by WesternNY