First Dirt hole set

WesternNY

A buddy of mine is a very talented trapper..Takes 30 + yotes and 70-80 fox per season..

He just whacks the foxes and coons in the head with a maul handle and then stomps on thier ribcage...DONE !!

Yotes, he shoots them in the lungs with a .22 CB short or CB long... Leaves less blood than a head shot, and excess blood at a dirt hole set can be counter-productive.

Valid concern, I have seen this method and I do not want to do it this way.   If I need to move the set so be it.

Some say yotes will avoid a set circle after a catch.

Usually good to remake after a catch and put a new set in about 15ft away.

I agree with not using loud food based lures, although they will work you will also catch alot of opossum,skunk, and coons. Here's a little tip for dispatching skunks, shoot them in the chest and they (might) not spray as much.

Well, I checked set #1 this AM while I stoked the wood boiler, it is 100 yards from the house in a known fox/yote corridor (trail cam).  Something came in,  the hole where the bait is doesn't looked touched, but the trap was visible, pan cover moved, not tripped.  Skunk, coon??  Dunno.   I should have grabbed the sd card from the cam.   The cam has been there all year...

This is from before I had my set in, the trap is just in front of that pine off to the right

Cdy00005_zps3b1e83eb.jpg

Cdy00004_zpse37cac08.jpg

I will check the cam after my morning sit, and I have 2 more dirt holes sets and 2 coon sets to check this am.

Nice catch!

Water Rat nailed it. I've had some crafty fox actually flip my trap over without setting it off.Coons can get pretty crafty too. I'm thinking the critter probably smelled you. 

Here's a little tip for fox, grab a few mouse traps and run a trapline in the shed, barn or garage. A whole mouse in a dirthole is candy to a fox. You can even freeze them individually in baggies and use as needed.

I tend to be surgical about scent control. Rubber gloves and hip boots are very helpful. My dad taught me alot about K9 trapping. He taught me to evaluate a good trap site from afar, to hang my basket off the ground about 20yds from the set and to only take what I will be using into the set. Before I touch any equipment I will reach down and rub my gloves in the dirt,mud or grass. Always keep your bait,scent,lure from contaminating your traps and tools.

I have yet to try the Full Metal Jacket trap dip, but have heard great reviewshttp://www.fntpost.com/Products/Trap+Dyes+Dips/Full+Metal+Jacket+Trap+Snare+Dip

Just ordered some MB 650's inside laminated CS.  They are pricey, the inside lamination makes them land legal in NY and a better hold.    Still been slow since the possum.   But trail cams have also been slow... seems like end of sept all of Oct they were all over the farm and my deer, now they must have moved on, but I know they will be back.  Look at this pic... sneaky eyes past the first yote just waiting for tenderloin to walk by.

HidingYotes_zps79a4d361.jpg

You sprung for some very good traps. They will hold!

I like to set on edges. Whether it be hedgerows or the edge of a corn stubble field. I will set on trail intersections inside the timber too because they will often take the path of least resistance. Try to keep the wind on your side so they will smell it as they pass. Good luck!

You sprung for some very good traps. They will hold!

I like to set on edges. Whether it be hedgerows or the edge of a corn stubble field. I will set on trail intersections inside the timber too because they will often take the path of least resistance. Try to keep the wind on your side so they will smell it as they pass. Good luck!

For sure.  As soon as my deer season is over..... I will hit it hard.  Right now just the edges I can check quickly with a busy schedule and not bump too many deer.  

I got these, and they are expensive... as I would rather have 6 solid sets than 12 weak sets.... dukes are just not to my liking.

Hey I may have 5 duke # 2 CS for sale... LOL

I also picked up some 6 DP, those I went with the cheap dukes.

Figures  no yotes, no fox in the traps in 4 days... but also none on trail cams either.  They must be making their rounds elsewhere... but I am ready when they come back!  :)

Not sure it's a good idea to have trail camera's near your sets. They might avoid the area due to the metal / plastic odors from your camera's.

Did you guys know the biggest yote on record in the US was 74 pounds from New York State?

Honestly, I would have thought bigger than that.

Here's a big one that I had pics of a couple years ago, over a ribcage. Mean lookin' SOB!!

IM000499crop11.jpg

IM000650crop3.jpg

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 1

Well I got the new MB650's degreased, cleaned and waxed.  Also decided to pull my furthest k9 set and furthers coon sets as work is getting the way of fun.  Wouldn't ya know it... the coon set finally got a coon after I think 11 days.

20131117_121639_zpsd5b586f0.jpg

Got it skinned out, made a mistake at the head, got it fleshed and on a stretcher... Wanted to get new sets in but needed to take care of the coon!

• Like 1