First Dirt hole set

WesternNY

If you have your trap bedded rock solid and have the dirt hole deep and at an angle, you can get away with little to no backing. It would then be almost like a flat set. Your sets look quite believable. Just think what a dirt hole is simulating. A hole where a yote or fox buried some food, so there may or may not be grass covering the bare dirt. Little stones get dug up too so you can even replace your guide sticks with a small stone or even a few little feathers in your pattern.

Edited by PREDATE

Kludes,   I do indeed have pan covers under the peet.  I tried using the native soil and it was to wet.

Crappyice,  I am hoping for coyote first and foremost, also fox in the dirt hole set.  Space between the hole and where the trap lies helps determine (not 100%) fox vs yote.  fox pan is closer to hole, yote further away.

Under the peet is a #2 Duke Coil Spring Trap, anchored with a disposable stake.  In the hole Is bait, nasty smelling meat stuff.  Also some gland and yote urine around the hole.

The metal DP  (dog proof) look like a can is for coon.  That gets triggered when the coon puts his hand in the canister to get the bait. Coon are pretty easy to catch.

I will try to take some pics of the sequence when I make a new set, but may have to wait for a camera person...

Thanks for the feedback guys.  

I've had alot of heartache using duke #2's without inline springs. The yotes will pull out!

Springs will help. As will center plating to attach the chain from the middle of the trap frame. Offset jaws will also help hold them. If you're able to weld, it would be wise to laminate or bubble tip the jaws. 3 crunchproof swivels on the chain is standard setup nowadays.

• Like 1

A foothold trap would do nothing except snap shut when you lift your foot. At most it might clip onto the tip of your boot, but not likely. I've had trespassers step in my sets on purpose and I've had a trap catch my fingers while setting it.

The ones you don't want to get caught in are 330 conibears, but they cannot be set on land, only in water. The instructor at my trapping course told us about a woman who was an anti-trapper and how she thought she'd show the trapper that she meant business by kicking their legally set 330. LMAO HAHA!!!

Oh BTW, it's very much illegal to harass a trapper or to mess with a trap/animal.

looking good,  I would take some scissors and cut a little grass, to sprinkle over the peat moss

good luck and remember to take the camera, we love pics

I agree, you should blend that fresh soil with grass and maybe even a leaf or two so that the trap bed matches the surrounding ground. The fresh dirt is an attracter, but you don't need it if you bait or lure the set. Often you can take a hand rake and comb grass right over the bed so it looks like it is growing there. Same with snow, I know there is freezing issues, but I like to blend snow over when its on the ground.  Just be sure you can find your set when you hide it really good, else you will be back with a metal detector... And if you use drags, a metal detector wouldn't even help if a catch moved off...  

A foothold trap would do nothing except snap shut when you lift your foot. At most it might clip onto the tip of your boot, but not likely. I've had trespassers step in my sets on purpose and I've had a trap catch my fingers while setting it.

The ones you don't want to get caught in are 330 conibears, but they cannot be set on land, only in water. The instructor at my trapping course told us about a woman who was an anti-trapper and how she thought she'd show the trapper that she meant business by kicking their legally set 330. LMAO HAHA!!!

Oh BTW, it's very much illegal to harass a trapper or to mess with a trap/animal.

Cool, thanks. No snaring in NY, right? When I was in Alberta I was shown how snares work. Pretty cool. They even snare squirrels with a little peanut butter on a tree branch.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

she is luck she didn't need a cast.

No water rat I did not.....  I just got a decent book on Yote trapping and I am reading it now.  

Nothing this AM, it rained pretty much all night so I wasn't expecting too much.  All the sets looked good still, I did have to add some peet to one.

If you decide to use call lure , I would suggest not using anything to loud unless it gets cold where you are . Hope you get a nice coyote or two.

It is fun, the hardest thing for me will be checking them.... on work days.   I plan on only leaving a few sets close to the house so I can check them before I go off to work.  Skinning can always wait til I get home.   Predators have a real impact on Turkey and Fawn recruitment rates... and in my area the yote population is getting out of control.

It is fun, the hardest thing for me will be checking them.... on work days.   I plan on only leaving a few sets close to the house so I can check them before I go off to work.  Skinning can always wait til I get home.   Predators have a real impact on Turkey and Fawn recruitment rates... and in my area the yote population is getting out of control.

Same here I'm in 8P and the yotes are out of control.

A buddy of mine is a very talented trapper..Takes 30 + yotes and 70-80 fox per season..

He just whacks the foxes and coons in the head with a maul handle and then stomps on thier ribcage...DONE !!

Yotes, he shoots them in the lungs with a .22 CB short or CB long... Leaves less blood than a head shot, and excess blood at a dirt hole set can be counter-productive.

Edited by Pygmy