End of my 2013 Archery Season

Yotehntr

So sitting in my stand Sunday morning thinking about how my season had gone. Remembering all the bucks I had seen and the big ones that mocked me at 20yards in front of my stand in the thick brush.  I was startled when the buck we call Tan the Ten stepped out of that thick and into a spot I had wanted those big ones to step into all season.  This deer we have no pictures of but have seen him making this his 3rd appearance on the property.  So as he walked from right to left at 30 yards I slowly stood, brought my bow up, and anchored.  I could feel my heart racing when he stopped broadside and looked over his right shoulder.  I placed the 30 yard pin behind his shoulder, placed my finger on my release, and began to squeeze.  I felt the release let go and watched the arrow fly through the air and........Into the dirt.... Missed to the left in front him by 2 feet.... as I sat back down to nock another arrow he slowly walked back into the woods wondering what had just happened.  I too sat in disbelief as my lighted knock showed bright sticking out of the dirt.  Everything took about 15-20 seconds too happen and I rushed the shot.  I can only figure that I pulled the bow on release being right handed.  I can be grateful that I did not put a bad hit on this deer and that he was not spooked so may see him again with the rifle.  As for my season it was a good one I let small 3's, 4's, and an 8 go knowing there are some good ones here.  I guess I will have to wait until next year to try and kill my first deer with the bow.  Looking forward to seeing any of these big guys with the gun cause I am much better with that then the bow...

I went up to hunting camp this weekend, (rifle only, no bow hunting) and there were a lot of the guys there all syked up for the upcoming season.  I constantly tell them, my son and I've been hunting since October 1st, have had that feeling for a month and a half.  My friend keeps saying he's gonna take up bow, but never does.  I can't see not taking it up cause it gives us great experiences like your situation.  Maybe not the miss part, although we've all had some kind of shot go bad, but at least we're out there. Thinking back, after having 6 kids, would I have been able to bow hunt then as much as I do now, probably not, too many teams and sports to coach. But I still wish I would have taken it up a long time ago rather than the last 9 years, (and still waiting for mine). 

And remember, if he ducks you during the gun season, you still can go late bow and nail em. I'd still like to get that Xmas time buck, and will someday.

I think I bow hunted more this season then most others past. Saw great bucks early,before crops cut ground plowed,routes changed.

Passed many young bucks never had a shot I would take at a shooter one.

Went this morning nothing from a top stand with a view of a thicket bucks always pop out of looking for does,zero not grunts crunching nothing.

Moved a stand for gun.

I'm off till the 22nd, only going once more in bow,I'm burnt out. I'm gong to walk the dog go to the gym,sleep in.

I'll be where I can't kill 'em on the couch, and I can't wait.

Edited by Larry302

Two more days I'll be able to hit before gun season. Passed on a few this year. Some were just out of range, another just behind enough cover for a no shot encounter, letting does on the property slide. Had to pass on another because it wasn't my place and there was a point rule. Crap weather - down time for a few days. Last weekend I pinched-pulled a neck muscle and scrapped a day. So I figgure hit an old favorite spot. I would be nice though, if the weather cooperated a bit.

To luck!

Giving it one more shot this Friday. My place was plowed under mid bow season and it changed the travel routes. Will suffer this year to have corn in the next three. Saw some big ones and should of taken of them. Shot wasn't good and didn't hit any vitals. Saw a lot of small bucks and doe so I hope to connect for gun.

Edited by First-light

This afternoon I drive up to my gun sighting in spot,to set up a target , Had My Buddy ( 105 pound mt. Kur/ Lab. mix. ) on the back of the ATV,He loves taking rides with me.Just as I get ready to set up the target 5 does get up,they were  bedded on the edge of one of the food plots,they were in no hurry to leave, and Buddy just stood up on the back of the ATV looking at them.Went back to the house to get my rifels and ammo and leave Buddy home.I get back and they are still there walking around brousing.I guess I wil have to put my Bow back on the ATV,Took 3 shots each rifel 50 and 100 yards, did not have to do any adjusting within a Quarter size hole at both distances.