Nocturnal Frustration

Five Seasons

I dont understand the frustration people have with Nightime pics.  Those same bucks are somewhere during the day, either beddedor walking around. Regardless, they are somewhere during the day, they don't disappear. In my opinion, try moving the cameras to a different area in hopes of finding where they are during the day. These pics are doing you no good.

I dont understand the frustration people have with Nightime pics.  Those same bucks are somewhere during the day, either beddedor walking around. Regardless, they are somewhere during the day, they don't disappear. In my opinion, try moving the cameras to a different area in hopes of finding where they are during the day. These pics are doing you no good.

i hear ya. I'm actually pretty sure I know where they are. There's a nice bedding area, but it's not on my property and even if it was I'm not sure i'd disturb it. You don't get several mature shooter bucks on your land by accident. It's sort of like luck of the draw and hoping they're there when you're in the stand.

I find it funny how people get frustrated when they don't ever see the deer they capture on their game cams.  Maybe they shouldn't put any cameras out and then they won't need to get frustrated?  Simple solution really.  Just go hunt and not worry about what was there when you weren't.   

Edited by steve863
  • Like 2

The cold hard truth of small parcel hunting. All night pics do is show you what is in the area. While that may seem positive, the reality is that your 5 acres is nothing more than a nighttime travel corridor between beds, beds and food, food and the next food on the circuit, or doe beds.

If you don't have daytime pics of those bucks by now, there's not much to be positive about. If bucks were willing to travel through there in daylight, you'd know by now even with a doe leading them around.

• Like 2

I'll bet they'll make a mistake during the full rut and show up right at the door.  If your seeing does during the day, they'll start sniffing around sooner or later.  Some young bucks will probably make an appearance, and move around, and if they're around, you can hold off till one of the big boys come by.  At least you know they're there and not just some does. Always pays to put the time in, and good luck.  We've had 3 different eights walk by our area, one my son shot, and 2 last weekend.  All three were not on our trail cams.  We've got quite a few bucks at night and a couple of big racks.  It's tough when you only hunt the weekends but what can you do.

The cold hard truth of small parcel hunting. All night pics do is show you what is in the area. While that may seem positive, the reality is that your 5 acres is nothing more than a nighttime travel corridor between beds, beds and food, food and the next food on the circuit, or doe beds.

If you don't have daytime pics of those bucks by now, there's not much to be positive about. If bucks were willing to travel through there in daylight, you'd know by now even with a doe leading them around.

great points but its still not to late for those deer to show their face in the day light and also its one camera facing one direction. one of those bucks could possibly be traveling behind that cam or even in between pic of other deer.

anythings possible, with deer like that id be in stand collecting my own field data. i have many bucks walk right behind my camera so many time this season that if i wasnt in my stand i would never know they were there or moving in the day.

my advise, hunt it. you know you might not blow them out but if they are moving through there and your cam isnt picking it up, you might see it first hand sitting that set. you have big bucks passing through, thats enough to get you on that stand

must be a hot doe or 2 in that general area bringing them to that spot

they've been around since september. they're local. I have some healthy local doe that bring them in I think.

Maybe a doe bleat call at the right time could bring 1 of them chasing.

oh believe me I've tried!

I find it funny how people get frustrated when they don't ever see the deer they capture on their game cams.  Maybe they shouldn't put any cameras out and then they won't need to get frustrated?  Simple solution really.  Just go hunt and not worry about what was there when you weren't.   

last year i moved to this house and put up cameras for giggles. I have some great property I hunt. I saw a few does and scrub bucks. Did some work on apple trees, run cutting and some better cam locations. I honestly was encouraged and might not have considered the spot at all if it wasn't for the pics... and the huge scrapes.

The cold hard truth of small parcel hunting. All nigh

t pics do is show you what is in the area. While that may seem positive, the reality is that your 5 acres is nothing more than a nighttime travel corridor between beds, beds and food, food and the next food on the circuit, or doe beds.

agreed. I do have a few daytime. They're just few and far between. Making it hard to hunt without a 4 leaf clover :)

the real kicker? Hunted one morning last week till 9:30 (wife wanted to go to gym). I only had 2 spare cards. So I pulled 2. Went back 20 minutes later to change the last... only to see this guy go through haha. I'm tagless now anyhow, but still

(on my way to 1 cam)

PICT0436_zpse587e736.jpg

PICT0439_zps49f89257.jpg

oh look who shows up

PICT0442_zpsaa2c780b.jpg

PICT0443_zps99751b64.jpg

PICT0001_zpsb9003a03.jpg

PICT0007_zps447b4a98.jpg

Edited by Belo