Otsego County hunting fatality

PREDATE

Stiffer penalties for these incidents. You can not fix stupid. Make the course tougher. .funny some moron speeds down the rosd loses control hits and kills a family no one yells more driving training

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

The come up with a solution on how to keep trigger happy morons out of the woods.  

He committed manslaughter and should be charged with that if nothing else. Hold people accountable for their actions. It's that simple. Word will get out that "saying "woops" when you shoot another man to death is not going to keep you out of jail.

Maybe due to being a bow hunter along with being a gun hunter, I make sure I take my time and squeeze the trigger only after placing it perfectly behind the shoulder. So are people now just shooting at deer? It makes you think, how much is that person really aiming? If you put the pin on a deer, by the time you shoot it you should be able to describe the darn hair pigment let alone distinguish it is a deer after all...

• Like 1

There was one thing that I still remember from back in the dark-ages when I took my hunter safety training, that made a hell of an impression on me. They showed pictures of some of the hunting accidents. I remember a picture of a guy hanging over a fence with a rather nasty looking head wound. And there were a few of some other shotgun wounds. These shock tactics put those images in my head as a permanent mental display of the consequences of lapses of safety awareness.

Now two things that might put a damper on these tactics:

1 With all the namby-pamby attitudes about subjecting youths to the trauma of death, I'm sure that today those kinds of tactics would not be tolerated by parents.

2 With the constant exposure of blood and gore on TV (especially the CSI programs) the impact might not exactly be the same as it was back in the more innocent days when I took the course.

But anyway, the point is that if somehow it could be brought across to the students that these weapons are not to be taken lightly and that their misuse has some rather disgusting and life altering consequences, perhaps the ideas of firearms safety would be taken more seriously and become something that is always on the minds of future hunters. I would suggest a segment in the course that details some of the consequences of unsafe hunting. I mean some true stories of the impacts of hunting accidents on not only the victims and their families, but on the shooter and his family. I think some "shock tactics" might actually help cut down on some of these fatalities.

There was one thing that I still remember from back in the dark-ages when I took my hunter safety training, that made a hell of an impression on me. They showed pictures of some of the hunting accidents. I remember a picture of a guy hanging over a fence with a rather nasty looking head wound. And there were a few of some other shotgun wounds. These shock tactics put those images in my head as a permanent mental display of the consequences of lapses of safety awareness.

1 With all the namby-pamby attitudes about subjecting youths to the trauma of death, I'm sure that today those kinds of tactics would not be tolerated by parents.

2 With the constant exposure of blood and gore on TV (especially the CSI programs) the impact might not exactly be the same as it was back in the more innocent days when I took the course.

But anyway, the point is that if somehow it could be brought across to the students that these weapons are not to be taken lightly and that their misuse has some rather disgusting and life altering consequences, perhaps the ideas of firearms safety would be taken more seriously and become something that is always on the minds of future hunters. I would suggest a segment in the course that details some of the consequences of unsafe hunting. I mean some true stories of the impacts of hunting accidents on not only the victims and their families, but on the shooter and his family. I think some "shock tactics" might actually help cut down on some of these fatalities.

I agree with this 100%. I had an uncle who was shot and killed by my grandfather when I was just an infant. Try dealing with that your whole life. same story, shooting at a noise in the brush. I do think that people are numb to violence these days to an extent. Even as someone in the fire service, when I'm shown graphic images during training or see graphic things happen in real life it really changes the way you look at things. 

It would be interesting to see the percentages of these incidents that happen on public land vs. private land. We might be surprised that public land is not as unsafe as some of the private parcels.

Years ago on private property a friend was stalking a deer parellel to a road about 10 yards in, He was wearing a blase orange coat and hat. A shot was fired from across the road and hit a tree in front of him. Now the deer he was stalking was 30 yards in fron of him.

I agree with this 100%. I had an uncle who was shot and killed by my grandfather when I was just an infant. Try dealing with that your whole life knowing that you killed your son. same story, shooting at a noise in the brush. I do think that people are numb to violence these days to an extent. Even as someone in the fire service, when I'm shown graphic images during training or see graphic things happen in real life it really changes the way you look at things. 

Edited by Jeremy_K