Posting Land

Bowtoons

Actually Paula, the way it was explained to me by ECO...... even if the signs were laying on the ground covered in leaves because somebody tore them down = it IS POSTED!

Landowner must make the effort to properly post is all, and then they can tag somebody their first time through even if signs have been removed or destroyed by others.

on the other hand I own 250 acres.  I should reasonable expect people to stay off it without having to post it like a going out of business sale. I have had problems with people leasing the cornfield next to me wanting to put their stands 50 to 765 yards on my property after posting their line to keep me out. 

Walking the property line here over time I found some of the original signs. Some were tin and some were heavy duty plastic. They have the name and address stamped on them, so even some of the inc or coloring that was used the info is still there because it's raised lettering. Not one of them were hanging, I hung those back up on same tree as I would put a new one. Just because

That's about the dumbest thing I think I've ever heard.  Let me get this straight, I paid money for this land, the deed is recorded at the county courthouse, it's mine.  I pay more of my hard-earned money in property taxes so that the county lets me keep it, but unless I spend even more money on signs telling people to stay the hell off my property, they're not trespassing?

on the other hand I own 250 acres. I should reasonable expect people to stay off it without having to post it like a going out of business sale. I have had problems with people leasing the cornfield next to me wanting to put their stands 50 to 765 yards on my property after posting their line to keep me out.

Cut the trees down

That's about the dumbest thing I think I've ever heard.  Let me get this straight, I paid money for this land, the deed is recorded at the county courthouse, it's mine.  I pay more of my hard-earned money in property taxes so that the county lets me keep it, but unless I spend even more money on signs telling people to stay the hell off my property, they're not trespassing?

Don't kill the messanger.... I'm just saying what they told me, but yeah, that's pretty much it in a nutshell,lol

All my posted signs are on a plywood board, which is nailed to a tree. The nails are not driven all the way down to allow for tree growth. I went to separate boards because of the tree growth which would pull the nails right through the aluminum sign, leaving the sign on the ground, perhaps under the leaves and pretty much useless and even in some cases lost. I also have a self-imposed rule that when standing at a sign, I am able to see at least one sign before and at least one sign after. They are well within the required minimum distance and no one can claim that they didn't see the signs. That kind of care eliminates any and all arguments about mistaken trespassing. When someone enters my property they are willfully and undeniably aware that they are breaking the law and trespassing.

• Like 3

Call the DEC for trespassers not the sheriff- there are differences in criminal trespass and encon

Also- tags trees w paint on your lines- had a neighbor that loved to pull signs...it made for easy remarking. The sam e neighbor was in my backyard hunting- the dec's first question to me was the property LEGALLY posted, then if I had asked the guy to stay off- I replied yes to both and was surprised to see how serious they took it from there. 5 or 6 years now with out a single problem.

• Like 2

the dec's first question to me was the property LEGALLY posted, then if I had asked the guy to stay off

Simple as that!

You and Doc have taken a lot of the unecessary confusion out of it for everybody!

I don't understand why some guys have such a hard time with that, and then get all bent out of shape when the solution is that easy.

Saves everybody a bunch of headaches right from the get go!

• Like 1

The land I am hunting now has a stone wall boundry. The peopel next door have their trees spray painted and signed. The thing that pisses me off is that they have permanent treestand 10ft from the property facing the land i hunt. The ONLY available shots they would have are on the land that isn't theirs. I also found a pair of field dressing gloves, so they shot the deer from their land onto the property I hunt and then gutted and left the gloves. I am hoping to return the gloves to the rightful owners.

I even went as far as to have my lawyer send my goofball neighbors certified letters not to trespass. I was wondering if they were sent out yet,.... well I found out. I would say about 20 rifle rounds were fired on and off in 2 to 3 round bursts from a bolt action on the property line. Then came the grunt call blown so hard it sounded like a duck call. I just stood and listened. Then came the voice from the tower stand just off my property. F#*@ you and your lawyer buddy. Then the sounds of a hammer or ax hitting something. I just waved at them and laughed. Grown men acting like babies. boo hoo, I was too cheap to buy the land the 5 or 6 years it was for sale. Grow up. So after making a couple phone calls I am walking back to my truck being close to 4, figuring something could be in my food plot field and what do I hear now??? rooster noises, donkey noises... Then to top it off here comes one of his buddies trespassing on my neighbors. he comes out walks down the road but wouldnt even look at me. I know the face, now I will get the name. no back tag either. I am guessing from the farm animal sounds I heard that either it's family fun weekend , or maybe the "guys" are having "fun" with their pets. On a serious note, they must be on this site. My plans to get a few acres sold for the hobby farm are moving nicely. PS, I am awaiting confirmation that a russian guy in the area shot the buck I call grandpa. Any body think they got it bad... come up and hunt my land, dealing with these things makes me laugh how grown "men" act. By the way JB and BJ perfect initials for your names.