Why so much bow hunting now?

CuseHunter

I've seen a lot of talk about bow kills in late November and December. Curious of people are doing it voluntarily or if they have to due to area restrictions? I know personally I only like bow because I see more deer early season and I guess the challenge can be an added enjoyment.

With that said, I have no desire to go out now. It was in the 0-10 degrees range where I hunt now and with all my clothing layers I know there is no way I'd be able to shoot without the string getting hung up and my form would look horrible in all my gear on.

its not that hard to bowhunt in cold temps. most people just dont want to at this time of year. a few spots I have are bow only.

bowhunting is eleventy billion times more enjoyable whether bow season or not for me.

I also think bowhunting kills in gun season on ground thats not bow limited is impressive. deer get skittish this time of year with the pressure and sealing the deal is not easy.

I love it that in PA there is a 12 day break after gun season before the late archery

season starts. The deer go back to their normal relaxed pattern and it's one of my

favorite times of the year to hunt. I also enjoy hunting the late archery season in NY but without a break in the deer seasons the deer are still pretty skittish. I have been

quite successful in the late seasons. I just turn the bow down a few pounds and do like

HUNTINGS IN MY DNA does ...use lots of hand and foot warmers.

Edited by azhuntress

I love it that in PA there is a 12 day break after gun season before the late archery

season starts. The deer go back to their normal relaxed pattern and it's one of my

favorite times of the year to hunt. I also enjoy hunting the late archery season in NY but without a break in the deer seasons the deer are still pretty skittish. I have been

quite successful in the late seasons. I just turn the bow down a few pounds and do like

HUNTINGS IN MY DNA does ...use lots of hand and foot warmers.

Interesting you say that. In late MZ here, I actually don't hunt the first few days of that season. I most often take off the afternoon of that Thursday or Friday of the MZ season, and find that the few days of respite for the deer does wonders for their daytime activity.

I gun hunted once 25 years ago, shot a buck and a doe in one sit.

Never hunted with a gun again, bought a bow and never looked back.

This yearI hurt my shoulder and missed a lot of season but refused to use even a Xbow.

Bowhunting… it's what I do… it's what I love.

Good for you. Using one in NY would be illegal this year.

• Like 1

How much is "eleventy billion"?  I would be thrilled if it was quiet enough to bowhunt through all seasons, but its pretty tough to get them that close this time of year - at least for me.  My first two gun seasons have yielded few sightings, at least by comparison with bow.

• Like 1

How much is "eleventy billion"?  I would be thrilled if it was quiet enough to bowhunt through all seasons, but its pretty tough to get them that close this time of year - at least for me.  My first two gun seasons have yielded few sightings, at least by comparison with bow.

I've heard of some deer that are darn near bullet proof at this time of year though.

Eleventy billion is a lot.

Edited by phade

Eleventy billion. Isnt that the number of fibers it takes to construct the bed carpet for a sissy truck?

He doesn't like gun hunting because his Savage 220 bites back. That and the old reliable H&R I have has to show him how its done.

You should have seen how tight he wrapped up that doe this weekend before it was gently placed upon the carpet.

My doe simply was flopped into my truck bed.

Edited by phade

I think eleventy billion is the number of stitches I have now.  In all fairness, if someone had shot the injured bedded doe when it was five feet away, I would not have had to take a quick shot through the trees without having my cheek welded. 

Seriously, you guys would laugh if you saw this scope bite.  Beware - properly shoulder your firearm, including getting that cheek on the comb.  Oh how I miss bow hunting.

Just noticed you mentioned the basket rack - also carry more ammo than you think you need unless you like to watch bucks hang around at 20 yds while you text your friend to come shoot him.  lol  Probably better that I ran out as he was not a shooter but I was in the end of season mentality.

• Like 1

In Westchester, I miss bowhunting cause I do both gun and bow.  I just imagine that hunting racks may be different cause during bow cause you don't have all the shooting and in my opinion, they hear that, they just shut down.  Their skittish, alert all the time, and I see more deer bowhunting cause they don't herd up as much as they do during gun.  It could be during gun there's more hunters in the woods in and out to their stands twice a day and that could put them on alert, but they just seem to realize they're getting shot at.  The big racks hook up early, get a smart older doe out in front and rarely take the normal runways after a couple days of shooting.  You have to go off the beaten trail to get them.  We're still getting rutting pictures and all-day movement on our cameras where we bowhunt.  Hope they're still around after next weekend cause come the 14th, I'll be back in Westchester bowhunting, even if it's cold.   

its not that hard to bowhunt in cold temps. most people just dont want to at this time of year. a few spots I have are bow only.

bowhunting is eleventy billion times more enjoyable whether bow season or not for me.

I also think bowhunting kills in gun season on ground thats not bow limited is impressive. deer get skittish this time of year with the pressure and sealing the deal is not easy.

Edited by alwaysarchery67