Well it happened...

TeeBugg

I burned myself out :/ decided to take the rest of the week off and not hunt until saturday. I got in the woods bright and early this morning and something was off. I knew it. My head wasnt clearly in the hunt and i knew i had burned myself out. Still going after my trifecta but this week the deer win!

I know how it is....sounds like you hunt hard, bow & gun......just can't wait to get in the woods.

I'm 51, and been hunting since age 12. I still wake up too early on hunt mornings, too excited to sleep until the alarm goes off, and that's on weekdays, 2/3rds through the season!

My solution, (this year), hunted ducks last two mornings and had a blast. Didn't think about scent control, being quiet, what stand to hunt, wind direction....etc...just had fun with friends. (and shot ducks)

Added benefit, gave the land a rest, and a chance for deer to move without me there.

Good luck & be safe

I hunt every chance i get. Took a great 9 point with my bow and a nice doe monday of last week. Told myself that now im horn hunting lol. I never horn hunt but figure if ive already got two nice deer, a big boy would be a great end to the season. Think thats what had me getting burned out. Missed a giant during bow season and my buddy missed him again 2nd to last day of bow. Then he saw him again the last day. So hes still there but i fear hes gone nocturnal. Still catch his tracks and hes rubbing again in the same area. Ill let em win this week...

Sometimes just switching up tactics can put some extra life back into your interest. I have to say that if all I did was to sit in a stand for hour after hour for a couple months, it would get a bit tiresome. Try getting out and putting in some time still-hunting. It is a whole different way of hunting and very productive as well.

• Like 1

Next week's weather looks nasty cold. I would hunt mid-day during the warmest period of the day. Find some pine/hemlock  cover in low grounds and hunt close to it if not right inside of it. Also may consider doing some 2 man drives. One guy stands in an escape route/funnel and the other pokes around real slow and get the deer up and  moving. Slow is the key word. You don't the deer attempting to establish orbital speed. Nothing hard about making deer drives. You can make a deer go any where it wants to.