Lee & Tiffany.. how do they do it?

JFB

Obviously this is a TV show, hunting large un pressured "farms". I'm not asking how they shoot and see such beautiful animals but I'm asking how in the world do they attain these farms and run this operation? Sure, money is the answer but it still would seem very difficult. 

For the record, I enjoy watching the show even as unrealistic as it is to us common folk. But I watched a recent episode where they were again "hunting a brand new farm Lee just bought"... Here are my questions/statements: 

1) So does he just approach nearby Iowa farms and offer 10x market value because his sponsors will give him the coin? Iowa is not easy to buy good land but yet he just continues to get new farms within driving distance of his original farm?  

2) He's basically a full time deer farmer with what appears to be hundreds of thousands of dollars of farm equipment, let alone the land itself. Do you mean to tell me sponsors shell out THAT much money for this show? Equipment from sponsors like an ATV, bows or treestands are one thing but land and huge tractors and buses seem like a new level of support. I remember reading about how he sold everything he had just to move to Iowa and start out with one piece of property. Man, he's expanded. Do you think these lands are actually deeded to him or do the sponsors just buy them? 

3) I've heard there is a lot of government money available for "farming" and I wonder what the tax implications/ advantages are? Who writes off what? Sure is big business especially when these types of hunting shows are a dime a dozen and come and go. 

Hat's off to you Lee & Tiffany for making it happen! 

a lot of the ground is continued leases I'd imagine that's how a lot of them do it.  they don't own it all I'd imagine.  I know they get a bit of money from appearances and seminars too which is probably how they come up with the money for leases.  I'm sure they aren't getting filthy rich, but simply maintaining the lifestyle they want to live.

The farms are actually ran as farms. Farms can be profitable if operated properly. What he's doing is consolidating large farm markets. You see this here in NY, many farms are either dying out and being sold to the successful farms that are gobbling up land share and improving their efficiency.

Once they start acquiring land and farms, while it's not "easy", they can start to leverage their assets to buy more ground, and in many cases it doesn't cost as much to them because of gov't subsidies and programs.

I know people rag on them, but they've done what many people wish they could (not the TV part, but the general life success part). One was an engineer and the other an airline stewardess. They saved coin, moved south a state and worked up to the dream they had.

Most times the..New Farm...Is just the farm he is hunting for a certin buck on. The owner of the property that the..Big Buck..He is hunting is on gets a good chunk of something im sure.  Most big names dont own the land, They just get to hunt where a big buck has been located.

They own a lot of ground as do the Drurys and Kisky families. They're not so much into the leasing, although they do that from time to time. They've just been so successful they're buying ground now.

• Like 1

a lot of the ground is continued leases I'd imagine that's how a lot of them do it.  they don't own it all I'd imagine.  I know they get a bit of money from appearances and seminars too which is probably how they come up with the money for leases.  I'm sure they aren't getting filthy rich, but simply maintaining the lifestyle they want to live.

The UA contract alone for them was seven figures from what I have heard and seen from multiple people who interact with them.

Don't get me wrong, he leased at the onset. He's just gotten far enough that he's acquiring farms. Kiskys actually started out as farmers though.

Also, from what I understand several people with large bankrolls have bought ground within his area and he manages it with the ability to hunt on it as well.

if you buy land out right, many times you can still rent out the land to other farms to grow crops on and it covers most costs of ownership if you do it right.  you can also have sections logged, among other things.  here in NY there's ag exemptions for deducting some of your taxes, if you've got 10 acres or more of tillable farmed ground.  also like what was said there's government money that can be paided out to basically cover some costs of improvements to your farm or creating habitat for wildlife.  certified wetlands and forever wild stuff is the most common around here because it requires really no money to put in, opposed to ground work or building construction.

• Like 1

The UA contract alone for them was seven figures from what I have heard and seen from multiple people who interact with them.

seven figures would surprise me and I can't imagine the deal was that long term to cause such a high number, but I don't know anything about it.  I've been told numbers by reliable sources for various famous hunting couples or hunters.  weekend long appearances are pretty crazy.  you won't hear me tell you numbers though.  not my place to tell people what others make.

seven figures would surprise me and I can't imagine the deal was that long term to cause such a high number, but I don't know anything about it.  I've been told numbers by reliable sources for various famous hunting couples or hunters.  weekend long appearances are pretty crazy.  you won't hear me tell you numbers though.  not my place to tell people what others make.

Seven figures wouldn't surprise me at all, that's only 200k for 5 years.

I actually don't think they make as much as people think. Yes, they make $ from endorsements and appearances, but it's not like they are winning $ for deer hunting tournaments. Look at Bass Fishing Pros, unless they win the Bassmasters, some of the top guys probably don't even make $100K a year. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Lee & Tiffany combined don't make $300K in 2013. Of course, they get nice gear for free and things like that, but actually cash, I don't think they are multi-millionaires like many people believe.

I'm not saying they are filthy rich, but they are the pinnacle of deer hunting endorsements along with Waddell. They are not the "masses" like most other hunting shows.

I suspect they make more than most people think. I suspect the "masses" make less than people think.

They are the 1% of the hunting celebrities.

It takes $50-65k to run a 13 episode hunting show on Pursuit Channel. That's just what is paid to the bottom barrel hunting channel for a bottom of the barrel time slot. Imagine being on the Outdoor Channel in primetime. Costs are high, but in order to have high costs, you have to be able to offset them easily enough. But for the Lakoskys - the Outdoor Channel pays them to be on it through a multi-year exclusive deal. That's how important they are in the hunting world.

I wonder who pays for the big tour bus with their faces plastered all over it?  I've never been able to stomach watching that show.  They are just making half hour commercials.  And they can't kill anything when they leave the farm unless a guide does everything but shoot their bows for them.  You can count the good hunting shows on one hand and that isn't one of them. 

Wow guys, Jealousy much?

If you think these guys own the equipment, land, buildings, etc that they do on $300k/year, youre smoking your breakfast. Farming, when done right can bring in a healthy paycheck on its own. Managing farms and land for others brings in money, Im sure they do a bit of consulting, another source of income, then the endorsements and what they make off of their marketable products....Im sure the list goes on...

yeah they make a few bucks.  Lee is one of the top whitetail management professionals out there.  Consulting fees alone for him have to be up there.  If he runs the management plan for you...tack on a ton more.  Then on top of all this.  He farms and has the agricultural revenue that comes along with that.  We havent even gotten into endorsement fees.  I know that Michael Waddell charges $10k per appearance.

Edited by jesse.james

Wow guys, Jealousy much?

If you think these guys own the equipment, land, buildings, etc that they do on $300k/year, youre smoking your breakfast. Farming, when done right can bring in a healthy paycheck on its own. Managing farms and land for others brings in money, Im sure they do a bit of consulting, another source of income, then the endorsements and what they make off of their marketable products....Im sure the list goes on...

I honestly don't think they own all the equipment, land, etc.

I actually remember reading on another forum (maybe bowsite) about a year ago or so about people who live near them and had the real inside scoop. They didnt own barely anything except that $200K house they show on TV. 

Like I said, I think they get a ton of stuff for free, get paid for endorsements & appearances, etc.  I'm not saying $300K is fair pay for them, they probably make the Outdoor Channel and sponsors a ton of money. I just don't think that their actual cash cut is more than $300K per year. Of course, they exceed $300K when you throw in all the free stuff, etc. I'm just talking actual cash. I could be way off, but it's just my opinion until someone can prove to me otherwise.  Aren't tax records open to the public? Can somebody get their hands on their 2012 tax return? I will guess $287K combined for 2012.

of course im sure they bury their income into their farms and businesses. plenty of people do it on any level of taxable income.

But I'm saying that I don't think they own many farms or equipment, etc.  On the topic of hunting celebrities, not sure anyone tops Duck Dynasty.

There are many moving parts thats for sure and again hats off to them for making it work. Think about everything they have to juggle and manage... land purchase/lease, farming knowledge/equipment, TV contracts/negotiations, finance/budgets/capital preservation/taxes, hunting knowledge, public appearances and surely many things I've not listed. 

Someone mentioned some friends with large bank rolls... that makes sense to me as something that may help them and I hadn't thought of. Seems they are mighty tight with lots of celebrities and if I had Rascal Flats money or Blakes I'd give them a pidly million to have my hunting farm all set up for me when I want it. In return, they film on it. Not a bad deal on both sides and I'd be willing to bet the celeb's accountant is able to use it as a business investment for tax purposes. All very possible and legal.