fox with .308

I find the philosophy that some have interesting. " it's legal so he can do what he wants". And I'm not saying that's wrong, but hunting is an interesting area. It's not always black and white and the government isn't always right. If they were right, game laws would not have evolved as much as they have. I do support self imposed restrictions and do not find fault in those whose restrictions are different than mine...

But that blanket statement does bother me. Instead of asking someone to butt out... Why can't we discuss the killing of a fox as peers? A few posted info both in favor and against it that I previously didn't even know. Let's stop resorting to "it's legal, so it's right"

I'd like to arrow a fox someday, but not sure I can. I think they're fun to watch.

Right, we all know your views on obeying the law. No need to constantly restate it to justify you bending the rules that govern our sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the philosophy that some have interesting. " it's legal so he can do what he wants". And I'm not saying that's wrong, but hunting is an interesting area. It's not always black and white and the government isn't always right. If they were right, game laws would not have evolved as much as they have. I do support self imposed restrictions and do not find fault in those whose restrictions are different than mine...

But that blanket statement does bother me. Instead of asking someone to butt out... Why can't we discuss the killing of a fox as peers? A few posted info both in favor and against it that I previously didn't even know. Let's stop resorting to "it's legal, so it's right"

I'd like to arrow a fox someday, but not sure I can. I think they're fun to watch.

I see more fox and coyote tracks than I see rabbit and pheasant tracks. That didn't use to be the case on the property I hunt. The habitat is still very good rabbit cover but they aren't there any more. Until I see that change I will take every fox and coyote I see. Unfortunately hawks are protected because I would lump them right in with the other two.

• Like 1

The only good thing I can say about multi-flora rose is that it protects rabbits from coyotes and hawks, even foxes to a lesser extent.  We hunt some rose thickets that harbor a lot of rabbits.  In them we see weasel, martin and fisher tracks...but no coyote tracks...and few fox (because of the large coyote population).  So, we have no need to whack foxes, coyotes or hawks to protect our rabbits....the roses provide ideal protection.

I would like to kill a red fox for 3 reasons:

1 = because I think a red fox is one of harder species of game to kill in New York (harder than a whitetail, squirrel, chipmunk, and many other species).

2 = because I never killed one before (did miss a nice 1 once during deer season).

3 = To display as a trophy.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

The grouse love it in the rose too. Owls probably take as many if not more bunnies and mice.Twice I've almost had great-horned owls land on my face while out using distress calls for predators. They were about 5 feet away and coming in fast, but I flailed my arms just in the nick of time! Ouch, that would've hurt!

On that note Earl, even I as a predator hunter do sometimes give a little leeway to the fox in certain areas if I notice a heavy presence of coyotes. Fox are the lesser K9 of NYS and are in a constant struggle with yotes to which I show no prejudice. However, my reason for giving the fox a break is not so the bunnies and birds flourish, but so the fox can establish healthy #'s. I very seldom hunt grouse and bunnies anymore.

Our approaches are very different, but they still work. You hunt the prey species, but not the predator. So the prey species will suffer double and the predators flourish to kill mice.

I let the prey species flourish and kill the predators, which lets the prey species flourish even more and that keeps my area chock full of both.

I see more fox and coyote tracks than I see rabbit and pheasant tracks. That didn't use to be the case on the property I hunt. The habitat is still very good rabbit cover but they aren't there any more. Until I see that change I will take every fox and coyote I see. Unfortunately hawks are protected because I would lump them right in with the other two.

And that's just it, isn't it? Many would value a hawk over a pheasant. It's all relative. And that was my only point.

Edited by Belo

All depends on the bullet you are using and the distance. Some .308 bullets will turn him inside out and others just a small entrance and exit.

X2, You are not talking about an animal with a lot of bone mass , the bullet will exit not much larger then it went in.

Someone I know recently shot a Yote at close range with a 180 grain 30 - 06 ,The bullet went in and out just about the same size and it dropped in it's tracks.

Doc I would no hesitate to use the .270 also.I have seen an all white Yote shot with one,If you look at the mount you never could tell it was hit with one.

What the hell is going on here. I can't paste anything. I can do it anywhere else but not in this forum. I had a great link to a fox video that I wanted to pass on. Nope, can't do it.

Wait a minute, I'll do it the hard way:

http://www.edisproduction.de/2013/11/19/fox-hunting-under-snow-in-an-incredible-way/

There, what's the odds I re-typed all of that without a mistake....lol