fox with .308

Land observations are critical...you understand that...where we had a bad yote problem years ago ...we had a decline in Fox...rabbits...grouse..turkey ..and fawn...voles were out of control and destroying every thing that rooted

This has now reversed...but as good as that is .....every reversal has a tipping point....some times intervention is needed to stem this.....as you did with the rabid coons...but perhaps fewer would have spread/ contracted the disease had the population been checked before hand

What utter rubbish:  To say that all hunters are good guys...and all that they do must be regarded as totally acceptable by fellow hunters is nonsense......as is your closing paragraph.

Apparently you seem to have a problem with established and proven principles of game management. Sorry about your ignorance. It appears that your anti-hunting mentality runs far deeper than any logic will ever be able to cut through. And what kind of faulty reading skills ever gave you the impression that I ever said anything close to "all hunters are good guys", I can't even begin to imagine.

You are probably right, but I think such comments fuel the anti-gun crew's argument  (See...They will even shoot each other!)  He needs to think a little before he opens his yap!

Ha! like you actually worry about fueling the anti-gun crew's argument. All I have heard out of you is anti hunting, anti-hunter comments.

Actually quite apart from all this garbage from our resident PETA member, I do have a question that is related to the original question. I was wondering the other day about what would happen if I saw a coyote while hunting with my .270. I would like to do something with the hide of one of those critters, but I wonder about what kind of damage might be done. I am shooting a .270 with 150 grain spire point. Am I likely to see some blown apart unusable mess if I take one out with that rifle?

Actually quite apart from all this garbage from our resident PETA member, I do have a question that is related to the original question. I was wondering the other day about what would happen if I saw a coyote while hunting with my .270. I would like to do something with the hide of one of those critters, but I wonder about what kind of damage might be done. I am shooting a .270 with 150 grain spire point. Am I likely to see some blown apart unusable mess if I take one out with that rifle?

well what ever it did to your deer just imagine it on something twice as small

well what ever it did to your deer just imagine it on something twice as small

That's not a pleasant picture. I will just wait until after deer season and pull out the .223 and the caller. I guess they get a free pass when I have my deer rifle.

What is it? Do we have a bit of a fox version of Bambi-ism going on here? Does the fox look a bit too much like a little doggie? you probably have a problem with bobcat hunters shooting the little kitty-cat too. It's a shame these things don't all look like rats ....right? That would make it all better.

Come-on, what the heck is wrong with you coming on a hunting site and whining about such crazy stuff? Do you have a problem understanding the concept of maintaining wildlife health through population control. That's some pretty basic stuff. Try to back off of the Disney movies for a while and throw away that PETA stuff when it comes in the mail. The little cute doggies and kitties of the wild will do just fine with a little population control .... lol.

But why are you and others so passionate about this specific issue? More than one person on here has regurgitated HSUS dove rhetoric, yet you didn't dive in. Either did anyone else. As a matter of fact, you questioned them as table fare due to size. Why would you assume millions - as many people hunt doves as whitetail are complete morons by eating them? Someone else raised the issue they mate for life, to which I informed him that although true, the life span is seldom more than 12 months and over half the population is succumbs to natural deaths within the first year. In contrasts, foxes also mate for life, but live for several years in the wild. Someone on here posted a real nice mount of a pair of gray fox, but when his neighbor in LI says 'OMG, OMG" you killed a mated pair, what is he going to do tell her the tale of little red riding hood and the big bad wolf - millions have heard that tale as well you know... Point is we have a pervasive mentality within our ranks that we are animal control heroes and predators in particular are deleterious. Not only is this mentality embarrassing, it doesn't foster respect for hunting with the public at large who don't fall for it. If you do not share that mentality, then why are you passionate about this issue? What about that TV host who stirred things up by posing with a lion, why does what happens in Africa , hunting a declining species - which costs $100,000 by the time its all said and activate so many hunters? I didn't hear early regurgitate anything from peta, but several hunters, including you, regurgitated stuff from the hsus regarding doves, do you mind if I call you the resident hsus member? You know doc, your smart enough and old enough to know that hunters have made these sort of debates a sport in themselves and not only do they not know what they are talking about half the time - they don't even know WHY they are getting involved in issues that will never effect them...

I have a friend that loves hunting anything. When I say anything, I'm talking from dove to African Safari. Nothing wrong with it, It's just who he is and what he likes to do.

Personally I have 0 interest in more than half of his trophies. I have no interest in hunting lion or wildebeest or anything like that. But others do. I can't trash him or anyone who does just because I have no interest. Seems a bit crazy to think less of a person because he/she hunts a species I don't....don't ya think?

Same thing with fox. I've had opportunity to shoot a few fox but passed. Just MY choice. I'd like to see more fox on my property. But if anyone shot a fox on my property or on this site, i'd be happy for them.

I think this HHH (Hunters Hating Hunters) needs to stop before we lose focus on the fact we are all connected by our sport/love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mike, What points from HSUS has anyone used?

We all know from your posts you are passionate about dove hunting. Great. Truth is I see more pigeons than I do doves in a year. Just can't get all ramped up for hunting something that when opportunity isn't there.

For the record a Lion hunt can be had for less than 100k, especially if you couple it with a multiple animal hunt. Very goo friend of mine  took 12 animals over there and (mounting cost aside) I was surprised at the cost.

I find the philosophy that some have interesting. " it's legal so he can do what he wants". And I'm not saying that's wrong, but hunting is an interesting area. It's not always black and white and the government isn't always right. If they were right, game laws would not have evolved as much as they have. I do support self imposed restrictions and do not find fault in those whose restrictions are different than mine...

But that blanket statement does bother me. Instead of asking someone to butt out... Why can't we discuss the killing of a fox as peers? A few posted info both in favor and against it that I previously didn't even know. Let's stop resorting to "it's legal, so it's right"

I'd like to arrow a fox someday, but not sure I can. I think they're fun to watch.