Good youth/ladies rifle

Al Bundy

My wife been borrowing a 308 and likes it real good. Its big for her and heavy though as its full size. So.. Santa is going to bring her one that fits her. Question is.. which one?? Should be a youth model.  Anyone have suggestions for a good youth model? Im not real worried the caliber much. thinking a 308 though.

take a look at the Ruger American they make the .308 in full size & compact they are very light & not much recoil a lot of bang for your buck great feeling bolt adjustable set trigger you will need a scope as they do not have iron sights bought one for my daughter & she loves it. Her's is full size but I am going to buy the compact also

• Like 2

Do remember that as you go to a lighter, compact rifle...recoil increases.  A lightweight, youth model in .308 could be a real bruiser.  I have one of the original Remington Model Sevens in .308.  It KICKS!!!  A couple years ago, I bought the new Remington Model Seven CDL in .260 cal.  It is much more pleasant to shoot.  The single shot .243 mentioned would be a good choice also.  Good luck....Great Christmas gift!

The Ruger American "compact " Is a cut down version of the standard American and its available in all standard hunting calibers including .308, 7mm-08, .243…. Excellent, accurate rifle for around $400.00

It would be my #1 choice.

Looks pretty good for the Ruger American compact. I found a 7mm 08 on the shelf about an hour and 15 drive away (one way...) in PA. Or I found a .308 on the shelf 15 mins from where I will be Christmas eve in NY. Could get it on the way into town Tues...  (Side note: I didnt really like the attitude of the guy in PA. Kept trying to hang up. Asked price, sure its compact, store hours, etc. Kept trying to get off the phone. I need to call back to make 100% sure the gun in fact was the compact in 7m 08 IF I choose that one)

The more I looked the more I thought a 7mm 08 would be better choice, recoil wise. What to do...  Is there lot of diff recoil wise between .308 and 7mm 08, especially in this gun?   The easier choice would be the .308. I really dont want to do that to her though IF recoil is a big thing. She did shoot the thompson .308 with zero issuues but that is a much heavier gun I think.

Also anyone have recommendations for a scope? Scopes and rifles are new territory for me and I am learning as I go.

Thanks!!

Have you thought about a semi auto or a pump in .308 ,I had an old Remy. 740 in 30 - 06 was not  bad at all and a friend has a Remy. pump in .308 loves it. And both have a box type mag. which is nice.

Scopes I have had everything from factory added lower quality to the most expensive  threw the years Fixed and variable  power.It all depends on your how much you can spend.For a .308 a 3 to 9 power would be a good choice.

Those Rem 788s had a reputation of being REAL accurate, even though they are ugly as a side order of s**t...

I'm a big fan of the 7mm08 myself... Performs well on game, accurate, and kicks noticably less than other chamberings with similar performance, like the .270, .280, 30-06 or .308.

take a look at the Ruger American they make the .308 in full size & compact they are very light & not much recoil a lot of bang for your buck great feeling bolt adjustable set trigger you will need a scope as they do not have iron sights bought one for my daughter & she loves it. Her's is full size but I am going to buy the compact also

X2 on the Ruger in compact. A real nice gun and will be a good fit for someone of small frame. I had the 7mm08 and it was a tack driver. I also would look at a 243 as that is a good cal. for deer or bear that she would come across. I have taken deer with both cal. and they do the job as good as a 308 with less kick..

I have a remington 700 in. 308 and its a great gun little pricey but a 400 yarder + for sure. I like the. 308 cause ammo is still around and fairly cheap. Can order brass online for 11.34 for 20 rounds. I put a luepold on it and have slayed the deer with it.

when the people fear the government there is tyranny. when the government fears the people there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

Edited by breethwithme