Sept 1st bow opener?

So i was at the feed store today and hear of talk from a guy in the know...Hunter ed class teacher..and he says the north will have a Sept 1st opening day and NO use of last years tags?  Any Ideas?

I sure dont like a Sept 1st opener...More like Oct 15th would be good but i like the no using last years tags.  Sounds like they are trying to fix some things in Ny but a Sept 1st bug hunt does not sould like fun. Man the freaking corn fields will still be green with no thoughts of a frost yet!!

Why don't you like the "no use of last years tags"?The way everything else works is if you hunt before OCT1st you use the previous years license,that would include tags for bear and deer.I am not sure of the Sept 1st opener,I love being able to go up from the 27th - 31st of september and we have done it for years,it would be a change I don't want to see and also do see a reason for it to change.Did this Hunter ED teacher happen to state a reason they would do this?

So i was at the feed store today and hear of talk from a guy in the know...Hunter ed class teacher..and he says the north will have a Sept 1st opening day and NO use of last years tags?  Any Ideas?

I sure dont like a Sept 1st opener...More like Oct 15th would be good but i like the no using last years tags.  Sounds like they are trying to fix some things in Ny but a Sept 1st bug hunt does not sould like fun. Man the freaking corn fields will still be green with no thoughts of a frost yet!!

I think the DEC knows that starting early will always equate to more deer killed and that is their sole intention... even those who don't find it ideal hunting that early will probably find time to hunt.. again that is the DEC's intention.

Talk about hunting deer in their summer pattern!!!  Will be good time to harvest bigger bucks for anyone that has any on their property in the north!  They make deer season even longer now in the north where there are no deer! Just really shows that the dec does not know the true numbers of deer in every area. Tough job i know, but with our winters up here killing a boat load its not even close to the population even 40 miles up Rt 81.  I have a fresh yote kill on this ice we just got in an area where a deer never would have been caught with no ice.  

We are going to take a massive hit on a very low population and the dec is going to give you more time to hunt.  Time will only tell on the tags but in my area...No does taken with any weapon! period!!!!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

no less time.  License will run from 9/1 to 8/31.  Season will open 10/1 I understand.  If they keep it 9/27., you will have to use new tags as old ones will be expired.  I expect a big hit this winter especially with this ice and deeper snows it seems. 

I would have to see this September 1st opener in a DEC press release to believe it.

If it did happen I know this, I would be hunting the bucks hard early September. I have seen buck with velvet still on their antlers this time of year and have always wanted to harvest a trophy in velvet for the wall.

Apparently I did not say it right.  License dates will be from 9/1 to 8/31 not 10/1 to 9/30 season will not open until 10/1.  So even if they keep the 9/27 date. you will have ot use new tags.  No where did I mean season would open on 9/1. 

Upstate you are close to the NZ border as well.  I think I will take advantage too. I've got some land to hunt in Fort Ann, looks like I'll be scouting while sugaring. Actually I am supposed to go for some small game up there tomorrow, looks like I can do some scouting then.

Buck I hunt out by Old Forge mostly! If you ever need some young blood sugaring/ small game hunting let me know I am a pro!

Apparently I did not say it right.  License dates will be from 9/1 to 8/31 not 10/1 to 9/30 season will not open until 10/1.  So even if they keep the 9/27 date. you will have ot use new tags.  No where did I mean season would open on 9/1. 

You will have to look into this for us few north guys on here. My guy said 9/1 open bow but he may have took it wrong and it be like you say. Yes year starts 9/1 but no hunting till 9/27.  I think thats kinda strange though. If thats the case then the tags we have leftover now are junk unless they let this year pass.

I think the same opener as SZ is a stupid move.It was nice getting to hunt a few weeks up north before SZ opened.These changes that they are making or proposing to make dont make any sense to me at all.We already have a long enough season and I can see not starting it 9-1 but I also dont want to loose the time we have now.If they are worried about the amount of deer being killed then they need ease back on the DMP's a bit if you ask me 

exactly the plan.  i know the plan is to go to 10/1 opener same an sz

But this negates the whole reason they said they were moving the license date start to 9/1.  The DEC said it was because we have to use last years tag before 10/1.  If they wanted to move the start date to 10/1 they could have done that years ago. 

umm they want to negate the using last years tags. That is part of the plan. I never said the powers to be were brilliant.  if they just changed it to 10/1, people would be upset.  change the license date, then it takes it away and people get used to it, then poof it is 10/1.  The thought is people use others tags or do not tag deer to save tags for those 4 days.  Plus they shoot anytning just to burn the tag.  They hope yo legislate ethics.

• Like 1