Whole Muscle Sliced Smoked Jerky 1st Run

Meat Manager

Filled the freezer this season so I asked for some new processing toys for xmas...got a slicer and a smoker among other things so I thought i'd document my first whole muscle smoked jerky experience.

Made my own brine/marinade with some salt, cider, general tzo, worcester, and some other stuff.

Pulled out about 5.5 lbs of front shoulder roast cuts from 3 different deer. I butchered them in this manner for this specific purpose:

post-1622-13884456236798_thumb.jpg

Sliced partially frozen roasts about 3/16" thick and layered them in a Pyrex baking dish I have a nice lid for:post-1622-13884457527972_thumb.jpgpost-1622-13884459479585_thumb.jpg

Poured on the brine and then stuck in the fridge:

post-1622-13884458491097_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow it goes in here with some Alder chips for 12-16 hours...I built this insulated cover quickly today to help maintain heat as per many reviews of this smoker:

post-1622-13884459611768_thumb.jpgpost-1622-13884459733538_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

You shot so many deer this year all the members of the forum should get care packages from you! Please use 2 day delivery! lol

looks great!!

Ha! Thanks

I did make 15 lbs of dehydrator/jerky gun Jerky and gave that away along with 10lbs of sausage and 5lbs of steaks to family for Xmas. I also gave over 1.5 deer to family over the course of the season.

Sorry none for the members tho...If I get a couple more dmfa or in jersey before Feb 15th maybe I'll reconsider!

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

Marinated about 20 hrs, placed on racks and let dry 1 hr:post-1622-138852884949_thumb.jpg

Preheated smoker w/alder for 15 minutes...put it on the back porch with sliding door sized windows.

Placed racks in smoker and put on my insulated cover:post-1622-13885291282752_thumb.jpgpost-1622-1388529140538_thumb.jpgpost-1622-13885291485948_thumb.jpg

12-16 hours and another 2 pans of chips from now I should have some jerky!

• Like 1

looks good...how I get our son to visit more often...leave a big bag of jerky in the fridg...lol...he drops by once a week now on the way home from work

Our dehydrator never seems to make it to the 160 temp....I always put the jerky on racks and dry in the oven at 170 for an hour  before hitting the cabelas dryer...gets rid of moisture and temp is high enough and long enough to kill bacteria with out cooking it...I am able to cut the salt down by soaking in either hard cider...lots of alcohol or in a good bourbon/whiskey

looks good...how I get our son to visit more often...leave a big bag of jerky in the fridg...lol...he drops by once a week now on the way home from work

Our dehydrator never seems to make it to the 160 temp....I always put the jerky on racks and dry in the oven at 170 for an hour  before hitting the cabelas dryer...gets rid of moisture and temp is high enough and long enough to kill bacteria with out cooking it...I am able to cut the salt down by soaking in either hard cider...lots of alcohol or in a good bourbon/whiskey

Grow, I have stopped using my dehydrater completely, due to the fact that they have a hard time keeping the food in the safe temp areas. (After I got food poisoning from chicken wings, I started paying attention more to safety and processing of foods) Not saying it can't be done safely in a dehydrater, But I stick to 165 in the oven until it is perfect texture to me (Crispy) or I will bust out the smoker. I have heard of people marinating jerky in Wood chuck hard cider before but I have yet to try it. (But I have used woodchuck on a pork roast and loved it) 

• 3 months later...

Started on my 5th 5lb batch of sliced/smoked jerky, I'm getting it down to a science.

Sliced about twice as thick as the first time I tried:

post-1622-13986467956187_thumb.jpg

I also add less than 1/4 the salt as the first attempt and apple juice is all that comprises the brine now...smoke flavors it plenty.

post-1622-13986468944526_thumb.jpg

I'll shove it in the smoker tomorrow am and pull it out tomorrow evening.

Keeping myself busy in anticipation of some spring archery hunting Thursday...maybe I'll make turkey jerky next weekend if I get lucky, haha.

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 1

I tried making jersey is my propane smoker..... Came out super dry and crunchy.... I think the temp just does not get low enough. It was only in the for 6-7 hrs too. Had much better results in my dehydrator. Any suggestions?

I tried making jersey is my propane smoker..... Came out super dry and crunchy.... I think the temp just does not get low enough. It was only in the for 6-7 hrs too. Had much better results in my dehydrator. Any suggestions?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say slice it thicker.

• 7 months later...