Avon Bowmen

Is there anyone who knows what ever happened to Avon Bowmen. I was a member for several years back in the 80's. But now I don't even think they exist. In fact, I haven't heard anything about the 5 Nations Archery League. Has organized NFAA competition bit the dust in Western NY?

Just curious.

Doc

No kidding!! I was over there a few months ago and drove the length of pole bridge road and I couldn't even find the place anymore even though I went there a jillion times during the 80's. I remember that the clubhouse and range was not visible from the road, and the driveway was real easy to get past without seeing it. I'll have to go over there and take a more careful look.

I don't think I am interested in joining again. That 30 mile one-way drive hasn't gotten any shorter ... lol, but I think I would like to just go over and see the place again (just for old-times sake). A bunch of us put an awful lot into that place and were super active for quite a few years. I finally had to give up because of the distance. And then the winter facilities (in Caledonia) were even farther.

Thanks for passing on the info.

Doc

• 6 months later...

See what happens when you're not really involved the associations die off  along slow death.

AVON BOWMEN                                                                                                                                716-334-2793

120 N. CAMPFIRE RD.

LIVINGSTON, NY 14467

See what happens when you're not really involved the associations die off  along slow death.

AVON BOWMEN                                                                                                                                716-334-2793

120 N. CAMPFIRE RD.

LIVINGSTON, NY 14467

I found all that info in one of the NYB newsletters or on their web site where they listed their supporters. However, I don't believe any of that is current. Avon had their area code changed from 716 to 585 quite a few years ago so I'm pretty sure that that info is outdated.

Ok, I solved the mystery and the news is not good. I substituted the 585 area code for the 716 and got ahold of the club secretary. They are still organized but just barely. They dropped NFAA affiliation because they could not get anyone to show up for tournaments. They are now down to about 5 active members and it didn't sound like there was any kind of tournament activity. Just a summer weekly get-together and a bit of shooting. What a shame. We used to be a huge lively organization with a great well maintained challenging course and clubhouse. It was sad to hear that they are all but defunct now. We had some great times there and a lot of friends. I guess I'll drop over some Wednesday next summer and see who's left.

I know 3 people who use to shoot at Avon BowHunters. Jim Capenter, Tom Melkoity & Dave Knotowitz.

Jim has to be at least 85 as he was in his 70's when were were in RENIA together. Jim was still an active member in ABH last I knew.

I know Tom is 83 as we shoot together and Dave is maybe closing in on 65

I know 3 people who use to shoot at Avon BowHunters. Jim Capenter, Tom Melkoity & Dave Knotowitz.

Jim has to be at least 85 as he was in his 70's when were were in RENIA together. Jim was still an active member in ABH last I knew.

I know Tom is 83 as we shoot together and Dave is maybe closing in on 65

Jim was the one who answered the phone the other night. My guess is that he is still the secretary.

• 1 month later...

I grew up  'around the corner' from the club, on the Avon/village end of Pole Bridge.  I remember going there as a kid in cub scouts with John Dubois, as part of a hike/shoot thing.  The last time I drove past, the sign was still up, though I never really paid much attention to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi All,

Just wanted to drop a quick note that the Avon Bowmen Archery Club is alive and well. If you are in the area, Avon NY, stop down any Wednesday night after 6:00 pm. The gate will be open. Bring your bow, check out the facilities and shoot some arrows.

It's a NFAA field archery course with 14 field targets, 14 hunter target, 14 animal target ranges plus a practice area by the club house. It's a very beautify course with it's hilly terrain and mature hard woods.

They are located on Pole Bridge Rd. between Paper Mill and Triphammer Roads ( just north of the rail road tracks). You can't miss the sign.

Yearly dues are only $25 a year.

Hope to see you some Wednesday evening,

Bob

• 3 years later...

Avon Bowmen is on a strong comeback with close to 70 members now and membership is only a mere $30. The Avon Bowmen Club held three 3D events in both 2014 and 2015 with plans to host three shoots in 2016. The talk is that one shoot in 2016 may be a NFAA event.

The club has their own website www.avonbowmen.org and Facebook page www.facebook.com/avonboweman/

Although there are winter meetings offsite from January thru March the grounds officially open up beginning in April.

In addition to 3D events Avon Bowmen also hosts Wednesday Night League play which starts early May.

• Like 1