NRA, Scpoe, NYSR&PA

I know this subject has been brought up before (last year) & I do not want to start any more arguements .   After reading my last few lssues of American Hunter mags. from the NRA. I can't beleive every gun owner & hunter on this site & in NY state ,because of the "safe act" & other new laws they are trying to push on us, does not belong to at least one of these orgs. I think all of us are in this crap together & need to fight for our  2nd. Amend. rights against NY state & Obama & his cronnies.

Also our local radio person is promoting getting 50,000 people at the April 1st  2014 pro gun ralley in Albany on that day, what a showing that would be!    Jmho.

I agree with you.  But I find a lot of guys in NY don't care about any guns they don't own being banned.  If they only hunt with a levergun, a ML and a bow, they couldn't care less about you and your handgun or semi-auto rifle.

They still think the law will never be stretched far enough to inconvenience them.

The background check to buy bullets might change their minds though.

• Like 2

I agree and belong to all three.  However trying to light a fire under people is almost impossible.  I think the ammo background check was one of our big hopes.  However i do not expect to see that roll out until after elections as the king knows it could screw him also.  April 1 is not just an anti safe act rally. It is an anti Cuomo rally.  Other groups interested in getting rid of him will be there also.  And Madison rising the band performing will be a big draw.  The powers to be are realizing we need to join with these other groups to form am alliance to get Coumo gone

I agree with you.  But I find a lot of guys in NY don't care about any guns they don't own being banned.  If they only hunt with a levergun, a ML and a bow, they couldn't care less about you and your handgun or semi-auto rifle.

They still think the law will never be stretched far enough to inconvenience them.

The background check to buy bullets might change their minds though.

According to the article I read, pump action shotguns are on the anti's list also.  They are after All guns eventurally.

They don't yet admit that their real goal is the elimination of all firearms ..... period. However, if Cuomo and his gun-banning buddys in the legislature get re-elected, be looking for the gloves to come off as they will see that as a mandate to bring on the real gun-control that they really want. There will be no more need for any pretenses at all. It will be a frontal assault.

Joining the gun advocacy organizations is a no-brainer. We get nowhere without organization and leadership and support. But that is just the first step. There is no doubt that we have to begin (right now) registering gun owners and shoving them along toward the polls in November. That's where the whole issue in NYS will be won or lost.

We need to vote Cuomo, along with all state & federal  anti gun people out of office when their times are up.

I totally agree. I fear that another term, for this self serving little dictator, will just embolden him to piss on even more of our rights. He is a bad, dangerous little man.

NY state has been cursed by the Cuomo name for decades now. It's only getting worse, Gun owners need to get off their lazy asses and vote!! I think that the little King is planning on them staying home, fat, dumb and happy. I hope he's wrong but sometimes I wonder.

• Like 1

One of the problems is that gunners are assuming that they will be able to skate through the rest of their lives with the couple of guns that they have in their closet, without having to exert themselves even a little bit. The attitude is, I have mine and the hell with the next generation.

How wrong they are with their little self-serving attitude. If we have learned nothing else from the safe act, we should have picked up on just how fast these guys can move when they want to and how one sneaky rushed through vote can change our rights forever.

• Like 1

The ammunition clause effects the greatest number of people and that is what should be emphasized. And it should be emphasized to the point that "Safe Act" is analogous with ammo back-ground checks rather than analogous with bushmaster rifles.

The NRA is great for filing lawsuits and working toward good laws and preventing bad, but we are very weak on the local grass roots level. The NRA cant vote for us and cant write letters for us. Although I have not said much on this forum about the safe act, I did in fact write to the entire legislature about it ( not just my reps) and the governor. I also have been a member and have donated to the mentioned organizations by way of attending their banquets and buying their raffle tickets. What I have done isn't exactly beyond the call, but we do need more people operating on the local grass roots level. The approach needs to be tweaked however. Some of the letters from sportsmen range from being irrelevant to lets just say, much worse. Form letters work very well for the Humane Society of the US; I am not sure why politicians are not as receptive to volumes of form letters from sportsmen. Form letters to the DEC are an entirely different matter. One DEC employee told me that (in his opinion) the DEC does not give as much weight to form letters as personalized letters. I don't doubt him one bit, but I would say a form letter is better than no letter. I posted a video earlier this year of the Crossbow meeting held last May where Senator Grisanti clearly and emphatically stated that writing your state representatives is key to persuading their votes on an issue. Grisanti's statement resonates with what the US Sportsmen's Alliance has preached for as long as I could remember. I notice at least one senator who originally voted for the safe act in committee changed his vote during the general vote and voted against it. That would be Tom Libious representing  the Binghamton area voting district. unfortunately his yes vote on the committee contributed to the bill moving on for a general vote and the integrity of his change of heart is questionable... Anyway, we need to move on the local grass roots level and do it in an effective manor, while still supporting national and statewide pro gun organizations. I do want to say though, the NRA and other groups need to stick to 2nd A issues. When the NRA and USSA come out with foolish statements like lead ammo bans are attempts to ban all hunting and similar lies, they are hindering not helping. They not only have a full plate with constitutional law, they are not conservation biologists. They need to stick to their areas of expertise and the mission of their organizations and not delve into issues they know nothing about.

Edited by mike rossi