Is CWD Really A Killer?

I thought i would show this seeing though cwd has been spoke of as of late. Just a few things i dont understand?

CWD confirmed in Will County deer

Posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 10:51 am 

Robert Themer[email protected]

The first case of chronic wasting disease in a deer in Will County was reported Thursday — the result of testing of a deer killed in the Kankakee Sands Preserve between Braidwood and Wilmington.
The deer was killed Dec. 10 in the culling program by the Forest Preserve District of Will County to control population density at the preserve.

As a result of the CWD confirmation, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources has requested culling an additional 20 deer from Kankakee Sands and adjacent preserves south of Illinois Route 113 and west of the Kankakee River, the FPD announced.
DNR also will be culling deer on property it owns at the adjacent Wilmington Shrub Prairie. Its policy when confirming CWD is to remove more deer from the area to maintain deer herd health and reduce the spread of the degenerative neural disease.
If additional deer test positive, their meat will be disposed of. If they test negative, the carcasses will be sent to a processor and the meat donated to a food bank, as is done with other culled deer. DNR will pay for processing or disposal, according to Marcy DeMauro, the forest district executive director.
DNR's request for additional deer culling in the Kankakee Sands region will be considered at the Feb. 13 Forest Preserve Board meeting.
The forest district's winter culling plan called for reduction of the Kankakee Sands deer herd by 21. District biologists estimate that DNR's decision to cull 20 more will result in a population of about 23 deer per square mile in the Sands area, which would meet the district plan of maintaining a range of 20-30 deer per square mile.
CWD infected deer have been confirmed previously in counties adjacent to Will County, but not in the county itself.
Since CWD testing began in Illinois, 408 deer have been confirmed with the disease in 11 years — the bulk of them in the Wisconsin border counties of Winnebago (Rockford) with 145 and Boone (Belvidere) 127. DeKalb County, south of Boone, has had 50.
Adjacent to Will County, and not far west of Kankakee Sands, Grundy County has had 10 confirmed cases in the past three years, three of them last year. Kendall and DuPage counties, also adjacent to Will, each had one last year.
CDW has been confirmed in a dozen northern Illinois counties, with Will, Grundy and LaSalle the farthest south.

So i have to ask? They say cwd will run rampant in a herd and wipe them all out. But here we have an OVER POPULATION of a herd in an area and one has cwd.   How can this be?  Does the states dec depts not say this will wipe out all the deer?

So the next statement they say they are going to now kill 20 MORE deer in an area because they found cwd.  Really! Kill more HEALTHY deer in an OVER POPULATED area because they may have cwd?

The next statement is they are going to go to another area, totally different than where they found a case of cwd in an OVER POPULATED area and kill more perfectly healthy deer.

I just cant grasp the fact that most everywhere they find a bug that is going to kill all the animals in an area its always an OVER POPULATED area. Like the Wind Cave Elk Herd where they released cwd positive elk out of an OVER POPULATED area out into public land!!

It seems to me if you put the pieces together its..Whenever the find cwd somewhere its not because its killing all the animals. cwd in fact seems to be making more animals.   Just cant fathom how something (cwd) the so called experts want us to believe is going to kill our animals is in fact doing none of the same!

I have often wondered the same thing. It almost seems that they kill more deer in their prevention programs than would have been lost to the disease if they had just left things alone.....lol.

It seems to me that there is very little that is actually known about CWD even today. You seem to have all kinds of "experts" arguing about some of the fundamental issues such as how it is spread. I have yet to run across any info on disease rates in some of the more harder hit states. It always seems to be just a bunch of hand waving and frantic dire predictions of collapsing deer herds with no real numbers. So, has anyone actually seen infection rates in some of the more seriously effected western states? Does it even get to the level where the average hunter can even tell the difference? I mean we have all kinds of deer diseases that are at work all the time, but incidence rates are so small that we don't even notice the effects. Is CWD just another one of those?

I'm not stating any conclusions, all I have is questions.

Part of the problem is what will cwd do to the biggest control of wild deer. Hunters.

Doc has stated it. I have stated it. If cwd becomes pervasive, I suspect you will only have killers left to shoot the deer. I believe youll have an issue with hunters not wanting to eat a cwd deer. Stick one in front of me, and im passing.

I remember years ago a couple of guys out west ate Elk. They came down with a disease that attacked their brain and eventually killed them. They never had proof it was CWD and couldn't prove it came from the Elk. That is what I remember and I thought a show like 20/20 did a special on it.

I remember years ago a couple of guys out west ate Elk. They came down with a disease that attacked their brain and eventually killed them. They never had proof it was CWD and couldn't prove it came from the Elk. That is what I remember and I thought a show like 20/20 did a special on it.

They made a movie about that, I think it was called "Brokeback Mountain"...........and it turned out not to be CWD.

CHRONOLOGY OF SIGNIFICANT EVENTS IN THE HISTORY OF CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE.

Year Event 1967 CWD was first identified as a clinical disease in captive mule deer at the Colorado Division of Wildlife Foothills Wildlife Research Facility in Fort Collins, Colorado. 1978 CWD was officially classified as a Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE). TSE's include scrapie in sheep and goats, Mad Cow disease in cattle, and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans. 1979 CWD was first recognized in captive mule deer and black-tailed deer at the Wyoming Fish and Game Department's Sybille wildlife research facility.

CWD was diagnosed in captive elk for the first time. 1981 The Colorado Division of Wildlife identified CWD in a wild elk, marking the first documented case of CWD in a wild cervid. 1985 The Colorado Division of Wildlife confirmed the presence of CWD in a wild mule deer for the first time.

The Colorado Division of Wildlife attempted to eliminate CWD from the Fort Collins Foothills Wildlife Research Facility by treating the soil with chlorine, removing the treated soil, and applying an additional chlorine treatment before letting the facility remain vacant for more than a year. The effort was unsuccessful.

The Wyoming Fish and Game Department identified CWD in a wild mule deer, marking the state's first case of CWD in a wild cervid. 1996 CWD was found for the first time outside of the Colorado/Wyoming CWD "endemic zone" in a captive elk farm in Saskatchewan. 1997 CWD is identified on several captive elk facilities in South Dakota, marking the first documented cases of CWD in the state. 1998 June 1998 and again in June 1999, elk shipped to Oklahoma from an alternative livestock facility near Philipsburg were confirmed to have CWD. 1999 The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission discovered CWD in a wild mule deer, the state's first documented case of the disease. 

CWD is detected in a captive elk facility in Oklahoma, marking the first time the disease was found in the state. 

In November and December 1999, all 83 elk at the Philipsburg facility in Montana (the source of the CWD captive positive in Oklahoma) were destroyed. 2000 CWD was found in a Saskatchewan mule deer, marking the first time the disease was found in the province's wild cervids. 2001 South Dakota discovered CWD in wild white-tailed deer for the first time. 

Nebraska discovered CWD in a captive white-tailed deer facility for the first time 2002 The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources detected CWD in wild white-tailed deer, the state's first documented case of CWD.

The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish discovered CWD in a mule deer near White Sands Missile Range. This is the first case of CWD in the state of New Mexico. 

The Minnesota Board of Animal Health confirmed the presence of CWDin a captive elk, the state's first documented case of the disease. 

The 1st International CWD Symposium was held in Denver, Colorado. 

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources detected CWD in a captive white-tailed deer, the state's first documented case of CWD in captive cervids. 

Saskatchewan detected CWD in a mule deer outside of the province's previously delineated CWD containment area. 

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources discovered CWD in a wild white-tailed deer, the state's first documented case of CWD. 

The South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks discovered CWD in wild elk from the Wind Cave National Park. This documented the first case of CWD found in the state's wild elk populations. 

The first case of CWD in Alberta was found at a white-tailed deer farm near Edmonton.

Wyoming confirmed the first case of CWD in a mule deer west of the Continental Divide.

2003 The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources detected CWD in a wild mule deer, marking the state's first case of CWD. 

A dot blot ELISA test for CWD, developed by VMRD, Inc., was licensed for CWD testing. 

United States Department of Agriculture licensed a CWD dot plot (ELISA) test developed by VMRD, Inc. The test analyzes retropharyngeal lymph node samples and has a turnaround time of approximately 24 hours. 

U.S. Senator Wayne Allard (R-CO) introduced a comprehensive bi-partisan bill targeted at coordinating and increasing federal response to CWD management. 

Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI) introduced two bills created to assist states in combating the spread of CWD; the National Chronic Wasting Disease Task Force Establishment Act and the Chronic Wasting Disease Research, Monitoring, and Education Enhancement Act. 

The United States Department of Agriculture approved a second-generation CWD test developed by Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc. 

Congress approved a bill that includes $4.2 million to expand research on CWD in wild deer and elk populations. 

2004 Agriculture Secretary Ann M. Veneman and Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson announced creation of a federal interagency working group to identify gaps in scientific knowledge about abnormal prion proteins and promote coordination of prion research projects by federal agencies. 

CWD was set as a national priority for piloting a Wildlife Disease Action Plan by the Canadian Councils of Resource Ministers. 

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department discovered the presence of CWD for the first time on the east slope of the Snowy Range Mountains in the north-central part of the state. 

The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission confirmed a case of CWDin a white-tailed deer near the town of Grand Island. This is approximately 250 miles east of the Panhandle where all previous cases of CWD had been documented. 2005 The Colorado Division of Wildlife identified a case of CWD in a mule deer south of Colorado Springs. This is the farthest south on the Front Range that CWD has been detected. 

The New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets confirmed the presence of CWD in a captive white-tailed deer, marking the state's first documented case of CWD. 

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservationdiscovered CWD in a wild white-tailed deer from Oneida County. This documented the first case of CWD found in the state's wild deer populations. 

The 2nd International CWD Symposium was held in Madison, Wisconsin. 

The first documented case of CWD in West Virginia is identified in a wild white-tailed deer. 

The Colorado Division of Wildlife confirmed the first documented case of CWD in a wild moose.

Alberta discovered a case of CWD in a wild mule deer, marking the first time CWD was found in the province's wild cervids.

The New Mexico Department of Fish and Game discovered CWD in two wild elk from the Sacramento Mountains, documenting the first cases of CWD found in the state's wild elk populations. 2006 Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks discovered CWD in a white-tailed deer from Cheyenne County. This is the first time CWD was found in the state. 

Researchers at the University of Kentucky found that CWD prions are present in the leg muscles of infected deer. 

The Minnesota Board of Animal Health confirmed that a captive white-tailed deer from Lac Qui Parle County tested positive for CWD. This is the state's first case of CWD in captive white-tailed deer. 

University of Wisconsin-Madison researchers discovered that infectious prions adhere to specific soil minerals where they remain infective. 

The New Mexico Game and Fish Department identified CWD in a mule deer on the Stallion site of White Sands Missile Range, 75 miles further north of the state's northernmost infection area. 

Colorado State University researchers found that infectious prions are capable of transmitting CWD through saliva and blood

The Colorado Division of Wildlife reported finding two additional moose with CWD in the northern part of the state. 2007 The first white-tailed deer to test positive for CWD in Alberta was identified by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. 

The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources published an e-book addressing various modeling approaches to describe the spatial epidemiology of CWD. 

Research from the University of Wisconsin-Madison revealed that theinfectivity of prions significantly increases when they are bound to certain soil minerals. 2008 The first cases of CWD in Saskatchewan's wild elk population are found in the province's east-central region. 

Researchers from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service and Colorado State University developed anew pre-mortem CWD test for elk

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources detected CWD in a captive white-tailed deer from Kent County. This is state's first documented case of CWD. 

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department discovered CWD in a wild moose. This is the first time a moose infected with CWD is found outside of Colorado. 

Elk meat sold at a Longmont, Colorado farmers market was found to come from a captive elk infected with CWD

2009 Researchers found that prions are shed in the feces of early-stage CWD-infected deer

Colorado State University researchers were granted $2.5 million from the National Science Foundation to study transmission of CWD.

2010 The first documented case of CWD in Virginia is identified in a wild white-tailed deer.

The Missouri Department of Agriculture discovers the state's first case of CWD in a captive white-tailed deer.

The first documented case of CWD in North Dakota is identified in a wild mule deer.

2011 Minnesota's first documented case of CWD in a wild cervid is identified in a white-tailed deer.

The first documented case of CWD in Maryland is identified in a wild white-tailed deer.

2012 The first cases of CWD in Missouri's free-ranging cervids are found in two white-tailed deer.

CWD detected in far west Texas

CWD Found in Deer at Iowa Hunting Preserve.

First case of CWD found in captive Pennsylvania deer. 2013 First documented cases of CWD found in Blair and Bedford counties in Pennsylvania wild white-tailed deer.

vert_line.gif Click these links for more information

CWD Videos

FAQ

Overview

CWD Timeline

Map

Magazine Articles

© Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance

The biggest thing to remember is that cwd prion came out of the same man made research that they found/invented the sheep scrapie prion.  If you research how many cases of sheep scrapies happen every year in sheep herds..In the same states that have cwd..it will make ya go hmmmm.  Funny thing is..When they find a positive sheep herd that has scrapies they walk in, pay the farmer top dollar for all his animals,walk out the door and kill every one of those sheep, tell the farmer to scrape up some poop and clean some water buckets and then give him the ok to repopulate that farm in 30 days!

Now a deer farmer gets cwd somehow,,Same prion as sheep.. They walk in, Kill all the deer on the property, give the farmer a big,,F-U for any kind of payment for his animals, Make the farmer take the top 4 inches of topsoil off the landscape of the total farm/preserve and make them keep the fence up for 5 years with no animals being allowed to walk on that land.  Same prions different animal,different name for the disease!