My Deck And The Cold

Lawdwaz

I built the deck about 16 years ago and never heard noises out of it like I have this year.  When the temps really drop the boards crack like a gun shot.  The other night I was letting the dog out for the last time around 11:00pm and we were standing there, and KABAM!  It startled the dog and I pretty good. 

It has never cracked like it has this year.  Probably 4-6 times a night.  I assume it is the wood expanding and contracting as the sun heats it up during the day them the cold rocks it back a little?  WAG?

BTW, it doesn't get a ton of direct sunlight, just about half of it until maybe 10-11:00am.

Is the deck all pressure treated wood or is it wood framed with synthetic wood decking? Is it nailed down or deck screws. Could be a lot of factors. How is the deck supported frost heaving very bad this year, just look at all the roads!!

All PT wood, screwed down.

4x4 posts, dug to China. :fie:

At least it seemed like I was going to China at the time.....................................

I'm afraid to look when the snow is gone. B)

My deck is 6 yrs. old and it's been doing the same thing. I've also had a few "pops" coming from the roof structure. Nothing like sitting in the recliner wondering if the ceiling is going to drop on your head. My phone has been ringing off the hook with roof leaks from all of the ice back up.

I built the deck about 16 years ago and never heard noises out of it like I have this year.  When the temps really drop the boards crack like a gun shot.  The other night I was letting the dog out for the last time around 11:00pm and we were standing there, and KABAM!  It startled the dog and I pretty good. 

It has never cracked like it has this year.  Probably 4-6 times a night.  I assume it is the wood expanding and contracting as the sun heats it up during the day them the cold rocks it back a little?  WAG?

BTW, it doesn't get a ton of direct sunlight, just about half of it until maybe 10-11:00am.

Are you located in some of that Amherst ( Getzville) clay, for when you drain the subsoil out, things start to shift and crack.

Oh, for how I remember that free for all back a few.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Are you located in some of that Amherst ( Getzville) clay, for when you drain the subsoil out, things start to shift and crack.

Oh, for how I remember that free for all back a few.

i hate digging threw that getzville clay especially during a dry summer the 2 places I hate to dig In WNY is in Clarence and down town buffalo. Those are some really hard places to dig