Ballistics question

fu2lmao

Anyone here ever shot a rifled slug through a rifled barrel of a shotgun?  If so what were the results? accuracy compared to a smooth sabot?   Is it safe ?

Before anyone gets on the soapbox, no I have no intentions of doing this, yes I know smooth sabots are designed for rifled barrels and vice versa etc.

A friend of mine is planning on trying this out and we were just debating the pros and cons

I agree shawn.  From what I have read lead can accumulate in the barrel.  It seems to me the rifling on the slug would conflict with the engineering of the rifling on the barrel and make the projectile unstable.  As I understand it though the rifled slug itself does not spin in the barrel.  A buddy of mine with military and ballistics training didn't think there was a safety  issue.  Personally, I wouldn't try it.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

According to this article, a rifled slug doesn't really spin enough to stabilize the projectile in any way. It's the other attributes to the rifled slug that aides in its accuracy over the non-rifled slugs.

Regardless if the rifled slug spins in the barrel or not, a rifled slug shot from a rifled shotgun barrel will most likely cause a huge amount of lead fouling. Chunks of lead may break off and cause an obstruction, resulting in a potentially very dangerous situation for the shooter.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

The so called rifling on a rifled slug is to make it easier for the slug to go though different size chokes a long with the hollow base. The rifling put little to no spin on the slug. What stabilizes the slug is its weight forward design most of the weight is up front.
You can shoot rifled slug though a rifled barrel Brenneke makes some slugs like there Black Magic and there Green Lighting. You can also shoot Remington or Winchesters the worst that's going to happen is you're going to have to spend a lot of time with a wire brush and hoppes to clean the lead out of the barrel.

• Like 3

What Larry said...

The barrel may need frequent cleaning to maintain accuracy, but there is no safety issue. The rifled slugs may or may not group well from the rifled bore.

As a matter of fact, in the early days of rifled shotgun barrels, when the selection of saboted projectiles was very limited, Hastings recommended two slugs for it's rifled barrels.   BRI  sabots or Winchester Super-X rifled slugs.

I started shooting rifled slugs through a rifled barrel over 20 years ago with my 12 ga Winchester 1200 . Never had a problem taking deer with it . My longest take was just over 100 yards .

Never had a problem with any lead build-up as my mother gave me something to counter act that ...... a jar of elbow grease !

• Like 1

Do you need a choke to use a rifled slug out of a smooth bore?

I shot a few rifled slugs out of my Mossberg 500 home defense barrel and the slugs were going every where.  I gave up on them.  Now I hunt with a muzzleloader in shotgun only areas.  Plan on buying a rifled barrel for my H&R Handi-Rifle this summer to give me a rifled barrel to work with.

I shot a few rifled slugs out of my Mossberg 500 home defense barrel and the slugs were going every where.  I gave up on them.  Now I hunt with a muzzleloader in shotgun only areas.  Plan on buying a rifled barrel for my H&R Handi-Rifle this summer to give me a rifled barrel to work with.

I have had many years of experience shooting rifled slugs from smoothbores. For years, before rifled shotgun barrels became readily available, it was our only choice in shotgun areas of NY.

In the days before screw in chokes became available, shotgun barrels were made with fixed chokes, which simply means that a certain amount of constriction was built into the barrel.

Cylinder bore was no constriction whatever.  Full choke was  maximum constriction.  Don't quote me on this, but I believe that  12 gauge cylinder bore was about  .720"  and fullchoke was around .690".

In general,  open chokes such as cylinder bore ( no constriction) or improved cylinder ( slight contriction)  grouped best with slugs.  Full choke GENERALLY was the worst choke for rifled slugs.

Most commercial smoothbore slugs barrels were choked improved cylinder.

However, each barrel was an individual.  I have seen IC barrels that did not group well, and modified or full choke barrels that grouped very well.  You just had to shoot your gun of the bench and find out how well it shot, and what slugs it grouped the best with.

I put a 20 ga. rifled barrel on my H&R 2yrs ago & the thing is dead on at 100 yds.with 1&1/4 groups. (Fyi) I found that Hornady Sst  shoot the best with with Fusion coming in a close 2nd.  The gun is enjoyable to shoot & hunt with.   I use it hunting on damp/wet days & the ML. on nice  days during shot gun season.  Have fun with it.

• Like 1