Cooked My first Venison Meal

Vince1

So I got my hands on 2 pounds of Venison and made dinner for the family, wife was all to happy to let me cook :).

It was funny as hell to watch her eat as she tried to pick around the venison not sure if she wanted to eat bambi. but eventually she caved and actually liked it. woman is weird I tell ya, one minute she wants to hunt with me the next she is a flaming liberal talking about how guns are bad whenever someone kills someone, now she wants a shotgun, women.

but the meal came out pretty good. tried to cut what I thought was all the fat off but I think I got something wrong. cooked it in a slow cooker and on some of the meat there was a layer OVER the actual meat that was quite noticeable once cooked that tasted very slimy (did I cook it wrong or do I need to peel more meat away to get all that off?)

Gamey taste? Wth is that cause my meat didn't taste like anything but beef, not really beef either hard to explain but felt like it took more of the flavor of my seasoning.

One whole onion

cup of hickory bbq  sauce

1 1/2 cups of water 

3 carrots

half a head of cabbage

salt / pepper

green seasoning I cant think of the name (basil?)

1 chicken cube

just kinda winged it and let it cook on low for about 7 hours low then 1 hour on high cause dinner time was close.

the two year old went straight for the meat and wouldn't stop, the 5 year old did his usual play with the food.

like I said came out pretty well considering its the first time but I know it can be done better with more flavor, just gotta figure out the tricks. my main gripe as my wife was the slimy layer over some of the meat.

cant wait till the season starts so I can try and fill my freezer, gonna have a good time cooking that up.

That slimy stuff between the two meats is the fascia. It's a layer of collagen that holds muscle tissue together. It serves like a WD40 so when the two muscles move back and forth, there is no friction. Completely edible. Collagen is the main ingredient on gelatin (Jell-O).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

yeah think I will be removing most of it, the ones inbetween muscles were really thin and barely noticeable, the ones that were on the outside that I could peel off I did, gonna have to get a realllly good kitchen knife for next year and hide it from my wife

I'm not sure what others have found, but when my wife uses venison in place of beef, the meal doesn't taste quite right.  Her comment was "it is more like goat than beef".  She uses a lot of Asian recipes and things taste good.  We had Chinese this week made with deer tenderloin-Yum!

I"m not very good at Asian cooking, so I use a lot of butter or find a venison recipe online.

Welcome to the "This meat is good, and all I have to do is shoot it" club.

The butcher that taught me to process deer explained to me that fat, connective tissue and silver skin should all be removed if you don't want the meat to taste gamey.  I have been doing it ever since and have not had a strong piece of venison since doing so.  It definitely is more work, but worth it.  I also agree with Culver - loin and back straps are grilled medium rare to rare.  The rest is slow cooked like you did Vince or used in chili.