Holes in my apple trees

If it's just a few holes, they're only testing. If it gets to be lots and lots of holes, the tree is most likely infected with insects and it's probably on it's way out anyway and you might as well let 'em eat their fill.

Seriously, the birds won't normally do much damage with a few test holes in a healthy tree. They're looking for bugs under the bark. If the bark is tight on the tree there's no dinner there and they'll move on.

Old apple trees can be pretty tough, and can tolerate a fair amount of stress from birds, bugs and gnawing animals, depending on what you expect from the fruit. Be gentle with the pruning, and as long as it's producing fruit and only for feeding the deer, don't fuss with it too much.

thanks philoshop i don't go crazy with the prunning. I just remove all ther sucker shoots and cut back some of the large growth. The first year i had this property these apple trees didnt produce much, but after pruninng i can get a bushels from each one and the deer love them.

I'm not trying to sabotage this thread but I need advise on pruning apple trees. I know you are supposed to take out the suckers and I heard that each main branch should only have 2 side branches but I look at my apples and they are out of control and I fear taking too much off. The fruit last year was plentiful although very small sized. I need to see how to prune a tree because I've read about it on line and it just confuses me.