New gun

Woodjr55

Went with my buddy he purchased a new 535 from dicks sporting goods and before he was approved they asked him what he's using it for. He said killing animals. The lady gave him a look and said don't say that. I've never been ask what I'm going to use a gun for when buying one before

You guys are too nice.

I would have said: "Killing cute, fuzzy defenseless animals. You know, like Bambi."

Upon hearing the comment, I would have replied: "Yeah, but the gun is better and less messy than the rock I have been using."

If people don't want to hear the answer, they shouldn't ask the question. Especially when it is none of their business.

Of course, this could have been a security question. You know - like when they used to ask people boarding airplanes if they packed any explosives in their luggage. After all, they caught SO many criminals with that clever strategy.

Edited by jrm
  • Like 2

I would simply say "I am exercising my 2nd Amendment right"

personally I would only buy a firearm from a true gun store...nothing wrong with anyone who purchases from a chain store, not knocking it, you find a deal where you find it. If I were to attempt to buy a firearm from one of the chain/department type stores...and the liberal wahoo employee who is wrinkling their brow @ my purchase decides to say to a manager....this guy gives me a bad vibe, just to push their freaked out agenda,  I guarantee you wont get the gun. Imagine in the event they are running your check and somehow could communicate that the clerk has a "bad feeling" (dont know if its possible) and your going to be on some sort of blacklist for god knows how long. I am not some paranoia addict...lol...but the anti's, most who are way beyond the lexicon of clueless....have no issue resorting to any tactic available to keep guns out of good law abiding citizens.....

If I were to attempt to buy a firearm from one of the chain/department type stores...and the liberal wahoo employee who is wrinkling their brow @ my purchase

That's the thing. What I wrote was more sarcasm and hyperbole. In reality, I would probably leave and just buy it somewhere else. However, I have shopped in Cabela's, Dick's, Gander Mountain, Wal-Mart and Sports Authority. (Mainly looking for ammo although I did buy a gun in Gander once).

I have never come across anyone at the hunting/gun department who came across as anti-gun or anti-hunting. Despite the job market, I find it odd that anyone who had a problem with hunting would apply for a position at a store like that. Even if they did, it would be odd for them to work the gun counter.

Went with my buddy he purchased a new 535 from dicks sporting goods and before he was approved they asked him what he's using it for. He said killing animals. The lady gave him a look and said don't say that. I've never been ask what I'm going to use a gun for when buying one before

Could it be that the comment wasn't really an anti-hunting remark, but simply a suggestion that there might be less offensive public ways of stating that you're using the gun for hunting? We don't always have to present ourselves with maximum shock value and confrontation. As far as the original question, that may have simply been a way to start a conversation. Without hearing the tone or seeing the facial expressions and body language, it is hard to tell from the described scenario, just what the remarks really meant. Could have been all quite innocent. Lacking in person observation, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

It seems that her question may have been totally innocent. I have bought a long gun or two over the years and can recall a few salespersons asking me the same question. I always took it to mean "what game are you hunting" My reply was always something like "Deer" or "Turkey".

If the woman asked the question sarcastically or with a scowl on her face then thats a different story.

Hunting, or plinking/target shooting, or self defense are the technically correct responses when asked by someone in a position of authority. Any other kind of response, especially to LE or on something like a pistol permit application is asking for trouble.

The person behind the counter is processing your background check and inputting information. Not a person of authority per se, but I can't think of a good reason to push it. There's a time and place for everything.

I did a backwoods canoe trip with three friends back in the mid 1980's. We spent hours sorting gear and carefully stowing everything into 4 heavy packs in preparation for 12 days in the the middle of the wilderness in Quebec. We finally left Potsdam, headed for the bridge crossing in Ogdensburg at about 3 AM so that we could get a good headstart into the canoeing when we finished the 12 hour drive. We were laughing and joking and just happy to be moving.

The first of our two vehicles went through the border crossing without a problem. When we pulled up, we did the expected Q&A thing, telling the border guy that we were with the vehicle ahead.

All was fine until the officer asked, "Any alcohol or firearms?"

To which my buddy said,"No thank you sir, we brought our own." A joke, as we had nothing of the sort with us.

4 1/2 hours later we were back on our way after having to repack all of the gear the humorless border agents had strewn all over the asphalt for us in search of a reason to keep us out of their country.

Funny as hell to think back on, and we still tell the story whenever we get together, but it could have been worse. I wouldn't recommend trying it today. Could be much, much worse.

A time and place for everything.