stand of corn. Researching it. A lot of peeps say

it is a waste of time for a stand that small. By the

time you need it, it is wiped out (rodents, coons,

deer, etc...)

What is your experience? I am in southern

Ontario County and it would be about the

only corn around.

Thanks!

Yeah Id say it tough, I plant a small plot of corn and the coons killed it last yr. Sounds like were in the same neck of the woods and from my experience id stick with a perennial seed like clover. Our property is all timber and so is everyone around us and there isn't a corn field for miles. We started with a 1/4 to 1/2 acre clearing and I planted brassica. It grew great for the first 2-3 inches and the deer wiped it out before October, so i ended up having a dead plot all season. In the spring I went to WI alpha rack and that has worked great and the turkeys like it too!!

I think when your areas surrounded in timber + the fairly dense deer population combined with a smaller plot clover is the way to go since it can withstand heavy grazing..

Edited by zag

a 1/2 acre plot of corn will work ok for the first few years... coon can get into it but a 22 or traps can control that easy enough. i started with an acre plot of corn and deer had it cleaned out by mid november. You need to know what your goal is a hunting plot/kill plot or a winter food source. i use brassica and clover and oats as my hunting plots and my corn now 7-10 acres is my winter feed/ destination plot. if your using it for hunting by all means plant a 1/2 acre. if your trying to draw late season or create a winter food source your wasting your time. Try and find a corn that will be maturing in late october. 97day corn planted in june .. the deer and coon will hit it hard in milk stage (bow season) and again when dried and brown in late october.... get after those coon by trapping/hunting them and you'll have a great hunting plot. a lot will depend on deer numbers on how long it will last.. and plant it in a square block..the first 4-8 rows will be lost to coon and possum. but deeper rows tend to last longer for deer... Doing anything is better than doing nothing......

Hey Guys. Thanks! You guys mow your clover in late August

and broadcast Brass right before a rain?

Or do you just deserve a section of

the plots and plant nothing until Brass

time?

Just wondering. Much appreciation.

I have been throwing clover seed down at the same time I plant either the Brassica or the Winter Rye in late summer. It seems to take over in the spring summer for a early food plot.

I mow the clover with a brush hog on the highest setting about 3-4 times per summer.

I have to plant when I am up at the camp regardless if there is rain coming, so far so good. If you are able to time it perfectly that would be even better.

If it was me, and I was starting a new food plot this year, (and time and money are not a concern) I would spray Roundup this spring, if it seems to have killed all the weeds I would till it and plant some clover. You can get rid of some rocks, and have a food plot for the deer to get used to using. It will also loosen the ground to make tilling a lot easier for the fall plot.Then in late summer you can till the clover under (a great source of Nitrogen) and plant your late season crop.

I have to add I am a newbie. I have been doing this for three years. I have had pretty good luck. There are guys on this forum with a lot more experience, and they have given me great advice.

Oh, also don't forget the lime. Do that as soon as you can.

That's what I have heard.

I have had good luck rotating Brassica, clover, and winter rye on my 1/2 acre plot.

Same here,they were even digging in the snow for the clover this year.I have a lot of smaller plots planted with the above and they go from one to the other. I planted 8 rows of corn and 8 of sunflowers and they were hitting the sun flowers more then the corn. 

You guys rock :good:

I probably should have stated that I am not looking to do this as a hunting plot.  Rather, just a feeding plot.  I am looking to have my food sources centralized with hunting

opportunities around that area, which will be around a total of 5 acres of mixed feeding opportunities.  That area is surrounded by thick brush and stand locations.  I may

out in some smaller plots.

It sounds like corn probably would not be ideal.  Rather, a lot of clover and a couple of select areas within that 5 area (up to one acre) that get planted later with Brass

or Rye.  Sounds like the clover will get hit almost year round while it lasts and the late season stuff will enhance.

Like everyone else - I have decisions to make and I appreciate the help.

I have 2 small plots. One is a mixture of different things like rye, clover and other plants. (I think the seed I used was called "secret spot" The other plot is turnips. I have had real good luck. The deer won't hit the turnips until winter time, but they will pick at the clover and grasses that grow between the turnips.

Corn is a great winter food as it stands above deep snow, the question is can you provide enough to last from nov-march.. deer need carbs in winter... protine is great when they need it but the carrying capacity is determined by late winter early spring available food. Turnips will work if the snow doesn't get to deep. The deer will do fine but turkey do not do well in deep snow and corn is great for them as well. Diversity is the key try provide a feed plot plan that provides what your game needs in all seasons.