Safe act question

Yes.  Call these guys and ask away.  They are very knowledgeable and are quite vocal against the safe act.  My buddy purchased just a lower from them recently.

Target Sports

Schenectady NY

518-355-8923

Edited by 88GW

Stoneam206 you are wrong, the barrel does not have to go through a FFL Dealer, the only thing that has to go through a FFL is the stripped lowers as that has the serial numbers on it. I can order every part online Upper, Barrel, Trigger, bolt, stocks, and any thing else and have it delivered to my door except the stripped lower. I can order a 80 percent lower and have the shipped to my door.

• Like 4

Stoneam206 you are wrong, the barrel does not have to go through a FFL Dealer, the only thing that has to go through a FFL is the stripped lowers as that has the serial numbers on it. I can order every part online Upper, Barrel, Trigger, bolt, stocks, and any thing else and have it delivered to my door except the stripped lower. I can order a 80 percent lower and have the shipped to my door.

to my knowledge this is right.  buy all the pieces including the AR-MR2 kit and you've most likely got an AR-15 that doesn't meet the specs of an assault weapon.  to remove the magazine with an AR-MR2 kit installed, you've got to disconnect the upper from the back half of the receiver, so you're now taking the gun apart.  If you have to take it apart to get the magazine out then it's not a detachable mag in the context of using with that gun. No detachable mag and no high capacity limit, means it's not an assault weapon.

• Like 1

an assault weapon starts with a semi-auto with a detachable mag.  if you don't have a detachable mag then it isn't an assault weapon.  if it isn't an assault weapon you can have all the rest of the evil features you pretty much want and it's still legal.  search for it and watch the video and you'll see the reasoning why you'd pick that configuration.  it doesn't take that much to get the mag out.

Stonea, The way the Safe Act reads is if the firearm has a detachable magazine and is a semi-automatic and one of the following features, Pistol Grip, Collapsible Stock, Thumbhole stock, Forward Grip, threaded barrel, muzzle break, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, or grenade launcher its is considers a evil Assault Weapon in NY. So a Ruger 10/22 (has detachable magazine), if you add a thumbhole stock to it that is considered a assault weapon in NY.

The MR 2-AR Kit does technically  does make is not detachable so would a bullet button, but I can see some LEO arresting someone for these's because that NYS Police have not said yes or no if that makes the gun legal. The problem lies with the NY SAFE ACT and its very vague wording, no where's in the law does it state what a detachable magazine is. So you still could be arrested and charged and then have to defend yourself in court. IN California they stated a detachable magazine is a magazine that does not need a tool to remove it, and the CA courts ruled that a Bullet was a tool so the bullet button is legal.

Ok that was my understanding of it too....if you keep the detach mag you cannot have pistol grip stock have to buy the compliant stock and have no other features. I was wondering cause a buddy has one and bought the goofy rifle stock for it and said its legal and I believe so too

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Stonea, The way the Safe Act reads is if the firearm has a detachable magazine and is a semi-automatic and one of the following features, Pistol Grip, Collapsible Stock, Thumbhole stock, Forward Grip, threaded barrel, muzzle break, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, or grenade launcher its is considers a evil Assault Weapon in NY. So a Ruger 10/22 (has detachable magazine), if you add a thumbhole stock to it that is considered a assault weapon in NY.

The MR 2-AR Kit does technically  does make is not detachable so would a bullet button, but I can see some LEO arresting someone for these's because that NYS Police have not said yes or no if that makes the gun legal. The problem lies with the NY SAFE ACT and its very vague wording, no where's in the law does it state what a detachable magazine is. So you still could be arrested and charged and then have to defend yourself in court. IN California they stated a detachable magazine is a magazine that does not need a tool to remove it, and the CA courts ruled that a Bullet was a tool so the bullet button is legal.

also technically if you can plead your case and don't believe it's an assault weapon, you still don't go to jail.  they say it is then by law you now have a grace period ( I think like 30 days) to register it then.  the safe act is very muddy, which helps and hurts both gun owners and PD having jurisdiction.

DBHunter, if I have a Ar with a MR2 Mag lock I can have all the evil features by the way the law reads. But say I do have a AR with a MR2 Lock and say 4 evil features, and say a cop comes when you are out shooting or hunting or your neighbor calls the cops on you because they see you with a evil gun. The say the cop does not know understand the Safe Act and see just the 4 Evil Features and its a post ban gun he could charge you and then you would have to go to court. I am not saying it will happen but it could. 

DBHunter, if I have a Ar with a MR2 Mag lock I can have all the evil features by the way the law reads. But say I do have a AR with a MR2 Lock and say 4 evil features, and say a cop comes when you are out shooting or hunting or your neighbor calls the cops on you because they see you with a evil gun. The say the cop does not know understand the Safe Act and see just the 4 Evil Features and its a post ban gun he could charge you and then you would have to go to court. I am not saying it will happen but it could.

And I would sue them as soon as I could get a number dialed.

• Like 1

My rimfire benchrest gun is/was a Ruger 10/22 with a thumbhole stock. Under the SAFE act it became an "assault rifle" so rather than register it, I'm building a new stock for it. Basically identical to the thumbhole stock but without the actual hole. Just jumping through the hoops in order to appease the anti's.

Doesn't make much difference anyway because I can no longer mail-order the ammo it likes, and the FFL's I deal with aren't interested unless I order a couple cases at a time. Tough to come up with the $2500 for that.

It's currently wearing a light-weight field stock for sniping squirrels and woodchucks, to keep it from becoming a 'safe queen'. Or a SAFE queen, as the case may be.