Get ready for more gun control BS......

the only reason this would fuel new gun control is because of the innocent people dying. Every day this happens in the hood, but no longer even makes the front page.

Correction.  It's now an issue because middle class and upper class people are dying.  Every day this happens to innocent children in the hood, but no longer makes the front page.

My SIL is a pharmacist for a major chain and she gets assigned to different locations.  In one location, an innocent boy (she estimates around 8 to 10 years old) took a stray bullet to his eye in front of the drug store.  We waited for it to appear in the next days paper but nothing.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 3

The corrupt, filthy  low life media has an agenda, when it comes to guns. They want guns out of the hands of everyone including every day, law abiding citizens.  The fact that criminals have untraceable, illegal guns is of no interest to them. If they were honest and reported that most firearms violence occurs because of inner city, gang banging thugs (RATS), then that would shine the light on a major part of the problem, and thats the last thing they want.

Inner city gang bangers kill three people in a drive by shooting in the hood……White privileged nut job kills the same amount of innocent people in a drive by…..Which one makes the national headline for the next week????

Edited by ants

Two recent acts of violence committed by folk on the spectrum would appear to contradict your assertion, namely Sandy Hood and now Santa Clara. And I was recently reading a story of an autistic man who axed his mother to death.

There goes that piece of pseudo science, eh Doey?

Seriously, you think there is a one size glove for people on the spectrum?

Here's an experiment for you. Google the following: 'Autistic man kills Mother'.

Good long list of stories there.

you're just letting your mind read what it wants. Plenty of horrific murders every day committed by people without autism. Plenty made by people who don't play videogames. You can't cherry pick your stories and make correlations. Even scientific studies attempting to find statistical links are often proven wrong. While I believe certain factors in a child's mental health and most importantly their upbringing will increase the likelihood of violence, there is never a one shoe fits all.

• Like 1

In California yesterday, two assembly members proposed a gun restraining order that would allow family members and therapists to ask police and a judge to bar someone from buying a gun.

Lawmakers are also proposing a law that would adopt new protocols for police making welfare checks on people. It would require that police check to see if someone has bought a weapon, rather than just talk to them.

well, I can't say I'm against certain people owning guns.....guns aren't the problem, it's some of the people who are currently allowed to have them unchecked is the problem....and that proposal makes more sense then just a blanket law against certain guns that are deemed dangerous, like the old saying goes, "guns don't kill people, people kill people"

• Like 1

Simply playing devil's advocate here:  Only problem with that is how to you work around those people who purchased the gun while they were sane but then had a major break down later in life?  No need to block gun purchase when gun is already in their hands.

I'm thinking that unless you are dealing with extreme cases, it is not likely that you can successfully come up with rule-of-thumb mental diagnosis that can serve as a litmus test for legal gun sales. How many times have we read interviews with friends and acquaintances of killers that came up with this kind of quote: "Gosh, he seemed like a real nice normal person". What the heck, sometimes a single event can send people over the edge.

I'm thinking that unless you are dealing with extreme cases, it is not likely that you can successfully come up with rule-of-thumb mental diagnosis that can serve as a litmus test for legal gun sales. How many times have we read interviews with friends and acquaintances of killers that came up with this kind of quote: "Gosh, he seemed like a real nice normal person". What the heck, sometimes a single event can send people over the edge.

I think that mental illness only comes into play in a small number of the gun crimes we hear about, mainly these extreme mass killings.........I'm sure there are many killings that were carried out by people who by all standards were your normal everyday person who you would never think capable of something like that until something sets them off.

More innocent people die from drivers impaired by texting and drinking, then guns. There are laws against both yet people continue to do it, because we all ignore the fact that there are some bad people out there and there are some stupid people out there and we've gone so far in a society to protect these people that Darwin is no longer weeding them out. Not to say the world was a better place centuries ago, but the stupid and lazy did not survive and did not breed to continue to spread their useless genes. Now the welfare cycles are generations long.

We are our own worst enemy. All the legislation in the world will never protect the death of innocent people. We can highly regulate guns and ammo and still criminals and nuts will get them or some other weapon to inflict pain. We can outlaw drunk and texting while driving and still daily people will wreck their cars and kill others. I'm not sure there is really an answer.

So years ago, there was an occasional murder, but it was not a daily event. I never locked a door until I was mostly grown and even then we didn't really have to worry about break-ins.  In the cities, gang wars usually were really fist fights. That was pretty much the limit on any kinds of violent confrontations. There was always complete respect for police, elders, parents, teachers and each other. Sure there was the occasional trouble maker, but nobody whipped out their gun and started shooting people over their bicycle or sneakers or car.

So what the hell has happened over the decades. Whatever it was, new laws have not been the answer, because we sure have had a pile of them added on and each day violence gets worse. If passing laws was the answer, why do we still have a growing problem? As in-love with studies and surveys as we are, how come nobody has studied the heck out this evolving violent society and tried to come up with any real answers that make more sense than banning and restricting guns? It seems that people are always looking for an easy answer, and trying to find ways to blame some in-animate object. I guess that's easier than finding and working at solving the real underlying causes.

So years ago, there was an occasional murder, but it was not a daily event. I never locked a door until I was mostly grown and even then we didn't really have to worry about break-ins.  In the cities, gang wars usually were really fist fights. That was pretty much the limit on any kinds of violent confrontations. There was always complete respect for police, elders, parents, teachers and each other. Sure there was the occasional trouble maker, but nobody whipped out their gun and started shooting people over their bicycle or sneakers or car.

So what the hell has happened over the decades. Whatever it was, new laws have not been the answer, because we sure have had a pile of them added on and each day violence gets worse. If passing laws was the answer, why do we still have a growing problem? As in-love with studies and surveys as we are, how come nobody has studied the heck out this evolving violent society and tried to come up with any real answers that make more sense than banning and restricting guns? It seems that people are always looking for an easy answer, and trying to find ways to blame some in-animate object. I guess that's easier than finding and working at solving the real underlying causes.

it's a total breakdown of society as we once knew it.......just look around and see what people are doing today as opposed to 25 years ago, everyone has their faces planted in their smart phones, kids spending hours on end playing video games, nobody knows their neighbors anymore, the days of the stay at home mom who raises her own child are pretty much gone, if someone's kid does something wrong it's never the kids fault, the Police who are trying to do the right thing have to answer to every silly complaint, this past Memorial Day I was driving around and was totally shocked by the lack of people flying The American Flag, years ago it was odd if someone didn't fly one, to me that say's a lot..........they can pass all the laws they want and at this point it will make zero difference because too many people no longer care.

Edited by jjb4900