blood runner broadheads

2012_taco

Any one using these broad heads? I was looking at them at a local archery shop, the owner says they work great, but he is a salesman! They are mechanical but will cut 1" even if they fail to open. Supposedly fly like field points. Of course they all say that.LOL

Any one using these broad heads? I was looking at them at a local archery shop, the owner says they work great, but he is a salesman! They are mechanical but will cut 1" even if they fail to open. Supposedly fly like field points. Of course they all say that.LOL

are those the ones that when they impact the tip pushes back and the blades open up to a wider diameter? if so, I was told they are illegal in NY due to the fact that when you go to pull them out they do the same in reverse creating a "barb", most mechanicals allow the blades to fold over fully when you go to pull them out, these do not..........I bought some and this appears to be true, so I never used them.

Edited by jjb4900

are those the ones that when they impact the tip pushes back and the blades open up to a wider diameter? if so, I was told they are illegal in NY due to the fact that when you go to pull them out they do the same in reverse creating a "barb", most mechanicals allow the blades to fold over fully when you go to pull them out, these do not..........I bought some and this appears to be true, so I never used them.

I always thought they were illegal as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Grim Reapers and they work great. I tried Rage broadheads and failed to get a good blood trail. I could not find any Grim Reapers last fall so I went with Shawackers and they made a blood trail like I have never seen. It looked like someone just dumped blood on the ground by the buckets.

I have used Grim Reapers and they work great. I tried Rage broadheads and failed to get a good blood trail. I could not find any Grim Reapers last fall so I went with Shawackers and they made a blood trail like I have never seen. It looked like someone just dumped blood on the ground by the buckets.

I'm with ya on the shwackers.. Been using em for the past 5 years or so n won't switch until they stop maken them...

I'm with ya on the shwackers.. Been using em for the past 5 years or so n won't switch until they stop maken them...

Have you guys always had pass throughs with the shwackers? Have you ever not had a pass through and if so how was the blood trail?

That's my only reservation is the small entry hole and thus probably a light blood trail.

I had a Shwacker just shatter the rib cage (on exit side) due to the angle of the shot. The shot was at about 8 yards from my tree stand.It looked like it was gun shot on the exit side, and like I said the blood trail looked like someone took a 5 gallon buck of red paint and painted the ground, trees and everything else on the ground. I have used Grim Reapers and love them, but could not find them and after researching the Shwackers I went and bought them to try them. This was my first year with them and only shot one deer, but I am very impressed with them. Only think I don't like about them is the little batter band to hold the blades in place.Had problems with them breaking after taking them in and out of my quiver. So I just replaced them with a o-ring, and it worked find for me.

Have you guys always had pass throughs with the shwackers? Have you ever not had a pass through and if so how was the blood trail?

That's my only reservation is the small entry hole and thus probably a light blood trail.

Last years buck and two doe's were lung and/or heart shots , easy pass through and dead within sight... Year before that shot a buck through both shoulders , dead in sight, and a doe that was at a steep angle jumped on me hit her square in the spine and was sticking out 3 inches or so from her brisket, dead AT THE tree... The only one I had a problem with was a diflection off a small twig n hit a buck at a funny angle with 5 or 6 inches of penetration , luckily that was good enough to clip the bottom of the heart, little bit a tracken but blood trail was fine... I believe they have inch n a half diameters now, but with rediculous penetration it all works out... The bone crushing ability is unreal even at sharp angles stays it's course through n through... Can't hurt to give em a try , or even better check out the Elmer's edge , an improved version of the same design...