Nuisance Permits?

Dstone001

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uner some permits it is 24 hours a day and either sex, but they request you take the smaller bucks and you must hand the rack in.  The permits run from a week or two after late bow until Oct.

As far as herded, nice idea but not really accurate.  How many guys hunt next to a farmand see 20-50 deer there in the summer.  Do you then see 20-50 using the small trail all traveling together during bow, no and deer don't yard during the summer.  Individual deer groups will travel great distances for food regardless of the season. A lot of those "yarded" yarded deer will also be in those fields during the summer munching on the lettuce.

The reason i ask is for 9 years i had a lease with the landowner and exclusive hunting rights to 90 acres, in that same area. (probably the same piece) Without getting into specifics, within 2 years of starting nuisance permits during the summer ,the "sportsman" who participated  in it completely decimated the herd in that area. Then these same "sportsmen" would all set-up there stands on my leased parcel and say they had hunting rights, when the only thing they had permission to do was  to kill deer during the summer from the farmer not the landowner.. So i was just wondering....Thanks

The reason i ask is for 9 years i had a lease with the landowner and exclusive hunting rights to 90 acres, in that same area. (probably the same piece) Without getting into specifics, within 2 years of starting nuisance permits during the summer ,the "sportsman" who participated  in it completely decimated the herd in that area. Then these same "sportsmen" would all set-up there stands on my leased parcel and say they had hunting rights, when the only thing they had permission to do was  to kill deer during the summer from the farmer not the landowner.. So i was just wondering....Thanks

You should talk to the person your leasing from.  Just an FYI, the landowner is the one who has to give permission to the renter (in your case the farmer) to allow those permits to be used.  I think I'd be pretty upset if I was leasing a hunting lot and that was happening.

The nuisance permits were one issue. I dont think any "hunter" would want to go out and shoot deer at night.  Especially in this day and age. and  i am sorry but" i have to because someone else would" is one lame excuse to participate or support  something.  I was told about it and there was nothing i could do about it. That was my problem  no one else's. The point i am making is I have seen what a bunch of idiots could do to a deer herd in just 2 summers. Complete devastation. And again getting permission from the farmer to kill deer in the summer is not the same and does not give you the right to automatically hunt that property during deer season.

We have 4 spots that we can use the Nuisance Permits . At two of those spots we have permission from the farmer AND the land owners and at one we are allowed to Bow Hunt during gun season . I hunted one of those spots during bow season this year and that was it for me .

As for my statement about if I didn't use the nuisance permit or someone else would do it doesn't meet somone's approval , I could care less . The opportunity was there and I took it . Plus , I don't consider the use of Nuisance Permits hunting . It's shooting .

We have 4 spots that we can use the Nuisance Permits . At two of those spots we have permission from the farmer AND the land owners and at one we are allowed to Bow Hunt during gun season . I hunted one of those spots during bow season this year and that was it for me .

As for my statement about if I didn't use the nuisance permit or someone else would do it doesn't meet somone's approval , I could care less . The opportunity was there and I took it . Plus , I don't consider the use of Nuisance Permits hunting . It's shooting .

A+ Eddie. the act of filling the tags is performing a service to the farmer/owner. no different in their eyes than spraying their crops for them to protect them. It is not hunting but if I owned the land I would want hunters to dot it. Who better to use the deer taken and, in most case, who better to do is safely and effieciently. To be honest when I have been involved in filling them myself it was always a welcomed boost to the freezer reserves since we usually were filled in the July time frame

The nuisance permits were one issue. I dont think any "hunter" would want to go out and shoot deer at night.  Especially in this day and age. and  i am sorry but" i have to because someone else would" is one lame excuse to participate or support  something.  I was told about it and there was nothing i could do about it. That was my problem  no one else's. The point i am making is I have seen what a bunch of idiots could do to a deer herd in just 2 summers. Complete devastation. And again getting permission from the farmer to kill deer in the summer is not the same and does not give you the right to automatically hunt that property during deer season.

I think you should be blaming land owner your leasing from.

The term "idiots" you used...is that directed at the DEC for issuing the permits....the farmer for applying and handing them out....or the guys that filled them?

I agree with Max with part of his post . The Land Owner should have the say in what is done on his property . Someone who has Nuisance permits might not necessarily have the right to hunt that area during regular seasons . And ........ if the land owner is leasing the property to hunters during regular season , the persons with the Nuisance permits shouldn't be hunting there .

I agree with Max with part of his post . The Land Owner should have the say in what is done on his property . Someone who has Nuisance permits might not necessarily have the right to hunt that area during regular seasons . And ........ if the land owner is leasing the property to hunters during regular season , the persons with the Nuisance permits shouldn't be hunting there .

I agree too. teh nuisance tags and the hunting season access is really too seperate issues....but both happen to target the same animal.

• 2 weeks later...

you would see 20 deer per sit everytime you went out and didnt see any you wanted to shoot? Thats a healthy deer herd? Just so any of you know, Nuisance permits are very rarely given, usually what guys get are DMAP permits. totaly different. just most you guys cant call them thatr no matter how many times your told. When actual  " Nuisance" permits are given, there is nothing that says they cant be used during regular season. each permit is different, they are to be used at the time of damage, which might mean april or it may mean november.  Just because you "used to see 20 deer" doesnt mean thats when the herd was the healthiest.Where i hunt, im lucky to see 5 deer all season, but one will usually be a 5.5 plus y.o. buck that ends up dying.

When actual  " Nuisance" permits are given, there is nothing that says they cant be used during regular season. each permit is different, they are to be used at the time of damage, which might mean april or it may mean november

This is not accurate at all!

word for word from one of the four permits I hunt on.

PERMIT EXPIRES 9/30/2010.  PS the letter head is DEC

from the dec site "Permits generally are NOT available during an open deer hunting season"  so there are exceptions during the regular season but they are the exception!

Max WHy ask us why not talk to the landowner? Seems like he might have some more insight into his own land, how it is managed, who hunts it etc.. then a bunch of strangers.  Just saying.

Some of the posters need to get off their elitist high horses! It is about the landowners livliehood, period!  It has nothing to do with your, our, my passion/luxury/recreation we call hunting.  THey farm for a living we hunt for fun ( add all your costs, buying it is cheaper fella's no matter what you tell your wives or your selves).  If it kills the heard in the area that sucks but oh well, we hunt for fun, challenge, memories, etc... they farm for life!!  So let's stop being arrogant and egocentric by putting your fun over their source of income!  PS some people abuse it, oh well, some people abuse hunting but that doesn;t mean ban it for all.

To simplify-

Farmer- dead deer equals better living more money pays mortgage.

Hunter- for fun!!!!!

When actual  " Nuisance" permits are given, there is nothing that says they cant be used during regular season. each permit is different, they are to be used at the time of damage, which might mean april or it may mean november

This is not accurate at all!

word for word from one of the four permits I hunt on.

PERMIT EXPIRES 9/30/2010.  PS the letter head is DEC

from the dec site "Permits generally are NOT available during an open deer hunting season"  so there are exceptions during the regular season but they are the exception!

Max WHy ask us why not talk to the landowner? Seems like he might have some more insight into his own land, how it is managed, who hunts it etc.. then a bunch of strangers.  Just saying.

Some of the posters need to get off their elitist high horses! It is about the landowners livliehood, period!  It has nothing to do with your, our, my passion/luxury/recreation we call hunting.  THey farm for a living we hunt for fun ( add all your costs, buying it is cheaper fella's no matter what you tell your wives or your selves).  If it kills the heard in the area that sucks but oh well, we hunt for fun, challenge, memories, etc... they farm for life!!  So let's stop being arrogant and egocentric by putting your fun over their source of income!  PS some people abuse it, oh well, some people abuse hunting but that doesn;t mean ban it for all.

To simplify-

Farmer- dead deer equals better living more money pays mortgage.

Hunter- for fun!!!!!

A+++

Yikes!

Max I'm just sticking up for the guys that make their living off of THEIR  land (by the way I'm not a farmer) and if me putting another persons livliehood over my own recreational needs makes me egotistical, then brother I am dam proud to be egotistical.

You guys will learn how egotistical he is as well as a ----- he is ... iknow him from another forum he is the worst ...