Nuisance Permits?

Dstone001

My neighbor has a small tree farm on his property, and he says he has a nuisance permit that allows him to take up to ten deer, any sex, any time after the regular season ends.  I'm trying to find info on the DEC site, but coming up short.  Anyone know about these?  Can I hunt his land with that permit?

Thanks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

well guys hate to contradict some here but there are two cases that CAN get either sex permits. Orchards and tree farms/nurseries. they are goot for does prior to the season and the bucks can only be taken once rubbing damage starts. There are TONS of hoops to jump through to get these but I hunted on them for a nursery and theyy we specific that either can be taken. This one nursery had $75,000 just rubbing dammage. whole rows of 1" caliber trees scared and no market value.

I have never heard of them extending to include after the regular season though. I would confirm that if you are interested.

And my 2 cents and the biggest reason I do not do those permits anymore. I really hated some of the guys that were filling this were the drop them ...strip the backstraps and drag the rest to the hedgerow types. I protested and was told by the owner they didn't care...so I was out.

6G and 6c I used to see 20 deer per sit.  The farmers got all their permits and that iss all you can hear during the summer at around 9:00 is shooting.  Now I saw 4 deer all season long in 6g.  And the other spot I hunt in 6c a farmer shoots them off his feed pile with a 22 mag in the guts so they run out of his field.  And he has said that the deer are not eating causinghis damge.  He just doesn't like them poking holes inthe covers.

Erussell, you need to remember that most of the land that can be hunted is owned by farmers. I not a fan of these permits, but there is nothing that will every be done about them. They are getting worse and worse. Also I have seen Christmas Tree farmers get tags for Bucks as thy can prove that bucks where rubbing on the tress and ruined them

Taxpayers would be charged for the deer damage too if these permits were eliminated.  Farmers would just get an assessment of the damage and send the bill to the DEC.  The state would probably also decide to add that cost to the NY Hunting Licenses for us to pay.

There is no doubt in my mind that they are hurting the doe population in 6g and on letchworth state park.I own land in 6g and have hunted letchworth for 18 straight years and i can say 100% that they are hurting the park.There was a time when you could go on the park and see deer everywhere and not just in the saftey zones on each end of the park.I think there should be a set rule that if they want tags they open the land to some hunting and it would need to be documented on paperwork.

If you could "see deer everywhere", 20 per sit, or a farmer is killing 65/yr (which I doubt unless he has a huge operation and a lot of time), there are too many deer. I know several farms that use the permits occasionaly. They all allow hunting, but the combination of open land with little cover make it very hard to kill enough deer during seasons to control the population. Once pressured, it gets very difficult to kill them during legal hours in hunting season. Summer permits - used wisely - is the only way to control the damage which can run into 10's of 1000's of dollar's. Don't know about you, but my taxes are too high now - damned if I want one dollar more going to suppliment damage costs because some hunter wants to see 20+ deer everytime they go out or force a landowner to let people he doesn't know on their land.

What you fellas don't understand is that when you are seeing a TON of deer its usually because of over population!! That means too many deer for that area.. you shouldn't be seeing tons of deer... deer are suppose to be wary animals and make it a point to try not to be seen... if you're seeing deer everywhere its because they have no where else to go because there are too many deer. Hence, comes the term hunting.. which means to find deer.

I don't see why they need permits. We have to pay out the arse for the tags and they get them for free and eradicate a natural resource that belongs to all NYers. I don't see how that is fair at all. Make them pay for the permits to or open up there land to hunters.

It would be a cost of doing business and you would be paying anyway...lol

Well how about a little view from a land owner and farmers (and no we do not get NP).I can show you lots of deer damage in our vineyards. So you want me to let every Tom, Dick and Harry on my property? Why should I have to just more goverment control. Do these hunters pay my School and Property taxes and insurance ?  I agree that there are too many NP given out. I think if NP are to be given out, that if the farmer does not want the deer, that the deer should be donated and not just left to rot in a field. Also the DEC also gives out Land Owners DMP permits (which can only be used on that land during regular deer season). I seen a farmer with only 100 acres get over 10 of these regular permits. His land is mostly pasture and hay fields. The DEC does give of these permits like candy on Halloween.

NY already has a liability protection for landowners. unless there is a hazard you nkow of that you do not disclose you are safe....unless you charge money for the priveledges to hunt there.

Also...the lanowner DMP's....the ones in the regular season...I thought there were only one per parcel..50 acre minumum

Culver - that is for the DMP's.

The others are DMAP - in season antlerless only nuisance permits that can only be used by legal huntings following all applicable reg's for the season - limit of 2 per hunter regardless of how many the landowner has.