Nuisance Permits?

Dstone001

It's sounds like someone has sour grapes because I questioned him on the 36 inch spread he saw in Westchester, the 50 inch spread he saw on the taconic (whitetails not moose), your post on how  "bucks NEVER travel more then 300 acres further then there birthplace" or the fact that today alone on the ohter site you had 2 posts and 2 threads removed thru me and another moderator at the site adminstrators request. 

Geez it's only post 4-5 for you and you've already called me an - in this post and tried to make me look silly in your 2-3 post "by the way guys strapper got some ideas for you for the orange ...strapper post ur pic of that stupid outfit" 

PS you failed to mention that I offered to take you and your boy muzzy hunting last year and also offered to take you both turkey hunting this spring. 

PPS Welcome to the site Mr. Cranky Pants.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you never offered jack ...you wanna find out how much you are hated on that site why dont you have the balls and let them vote you off... you have to be the most hated person on that site....boys give him time you will grow to hate him here to trust me...anytime me and him go at it, the powers that be protect him and delete everything...i get so many private messages about him being an  :'( :'( :'(

you never offered jack ...you wanna find out how much you are hated on that site why dont you have the balls and let them vote you off... you have to be the most hated person on that site....boys give him time you will grow to hate him here to trust me...anytime me and him go at it, the powers that be protect him and delete everything...i get so many private messages about him being an :'( :'( :'(

So Wes now that you are quiting Hudson Valley Sportsman; just think all the time you have here to stalk Backstrapper around.

Just so you know this site is private too and you get to post here at the privilege of the owner(s)

Good luck

I guess time will tell which one of us is on the forums to enjoy the comradorie and freindly debates and which one of us is here  to fight and name call. 

PS  Feel free to continue your rant but I will not reply I will not waste this forums time and server space with this petty crap, it's not why I joined.

Just a reminder, lets not start with the curse words... I'll edit the previous posts... Regardless of how you spell it, its still cursing, and I and others would prefer to keep the site as fam friendly as possible.  If there is an issue between two members, take it private.  I'll delete further bickering, and I have yet to delete any posts on this forum yet other then spam.  Thanks guys, and I know you will understand.

Back to the NP's, i know the ones we have on the nursery are buck or doe and the permit is good for one full year and then it must be renewed.  Obviously you must check in before going out and then when you are done. And any bucks taken the head must be turned into the DEC this way there is no trophy hunting going on with the permits.

Back to the NP's, i know the ones we have on the nursery are buck or doe and the permit is good for one full year and then it must be renewed.  Obviously you must check in before going out and then when you are done. And any bucks taken the head must be turned into the DEC this way there is no trophy hunting going on with the permits.

Where did you use those? I am wondering if each DEC region handles thing a little different because the nursery I used them on had a start date of June 1st to the start of Bow season...they were either sex but only for bucks once rubbing damage started. No requirement to turn heads in

Long Island.  The problem is that the bucks destroy the young saplings (rubs)and does and bucks eat just about anything thats green in the nursery.  The nursury manager said last year alone they lost over $60,000 in damaged trees to bucks rubbing.

LI I was involved in a permit last year that was very similiar.  It was 24/7 but does only at first.  Problem was after a while the does wised up and a lot of them stopped coming into the produce but the bucks were hammering the farmers lettuce.  The farmer was then issued either sex but they asked that we not shoot anything more then 5 points and we had to turn the heads in.  I hated shooting bucks,  even if they were smaller ones but I hated seeing the damage to the farmers crops more.

LI I was involved in a permit last year that was very similiar.  It was 24/7 but does only at first.  Problem was after a while the does wised up and a lot of them stopped coming into the produce but the bucks were hammering the farmers lettuce.  The farmer was then issued either sex but they asked that we not shoot anything more then 5 points and we had to turn the heads in.  I hated shooting bucks,  even if they were smaller ones but I hated seeing the damage to the farmers crops more.

Backstrapper...QUICK DIAL 911---I just heard a couple of the guys in the AR thread hit the floor. I think they just had heart attacks.  Seriously though...the nursery I filled the tags on was getting about $75,000 a year in rubbing damage alone. I amazed me how a buck would just walk down a line of small saplings and hit every one just enough to scare and ruin the marketability of the tree.

That was a lot of loss to stomach for a small family owned business.

Ok here is one to think about.. what if this nursery had a problem with hawks, owls or eagles nesting in the trees and scarring them making them unmarketable.. do we still issue special permits to kill off those protected animals? Remember they are hurting the guys ability to feed his family and pay the mortgage.

I know its a stretch... I was trying to get at the fact that there may  be other ways to deter game from the area as opposed to killing them off as a remedy. I think the argument for the permits was because of the loss of livelyhood vs the importance of the animal. Just thought I'd throw in a protected species to see what the thought would be then.

I'd be curious what the DEC's position would be there as well.

The nursery I filled them at spent money to enclose the entire place with a multi strand electric fence....lasted a while until the deer just jumped through it. Amazing how they figured out it didn't hurt too bad if they went fast. And the racks that I saw jump through...you would have had a hard time fitting the horns through with your hands...lol. It was a huge expense and didn't work

Interesting point there, but since deer aren't protected it's apples to oranges.  Out west when a protected animal destroys livliehood the govn't pays market price for the losses.  Wolves and cattle, sheep, etc....  The rancher gets market price for each head lost.

Thats the part that makes it interesting.. the apples to oranges... both affect the you and me.. one by taking away a portion of the game we hunt,, the other tax money... I'm not sure where I stand on this one, but definitely an interesting topic. I feel for the business owners and farmers trying to make a living, but remember, they made a choice to take up a business where they are planting things in the wild where animals live..with that comes a ceratin element of risk.. kind like investing in the stock market.. things could go either way ;D

Since we live in a mostly free market system it could be possible to say like it or lump it to the farmers and others who use the permits. The reality is the losses will be passed on....to you and me. Just like the insurance companies pass their losses on. Food prices go up....nursery stock goes up, this does one thing....makes the foreign grown food even cheaper than stuff grown here. Other countries that are in our food supply chain do not operate under our same set of rules.