Nuisance Permits?

Dstone001

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are these permits only allotted to those who make a living off of what is being damaged? I'm asking because I have seen cases in Westchester NY, where a home owner has spent a few hundred thousand dollars to landscape their property only to have the deer decimate it.....can the get these permits?

I ran into a fruit farmer that lives 1/2 mile from me as the crow flys . He has shooters for his property . He said he just got his Crop Damage Permits and they are good until the end of September . Apparently the fruit farmer gets them much sooner than the crop farmers .

Interesting point there, but since deer aren't protected it's apples to oranges.  Out west when a protected animal destroys livliehood the govn't pays market price for the losses.  Wolves and cattle, sheep, etc....  The rancher gets market price for each head lost.

::D Oh really, ya don't say, the government pays them! And ahhh who pays the government. In many cases the rancer nevers gets fair value, the antis have drafted the laws so the ranchers pay into a fund & ranchers have to prove what killed their stock.

OMG...I tried to read all 8 pages..with that high school foolishness thrown in the middle..really :;) ...lol

I'm sorry but the entire post missed the BIGGEST point....The State of NY loves to put into place all kinds of "programs".then summarily stick their heads  where the the sun never shines ..when it comes to logically over seeing such programs...

I find the over sight of nuisance permits the biggest problem...why should a farmer be allowed to get payed big bucks for leases and then allowed to get free nuisance permits? When we have to pay for doe tags....Why is it that these deer don't have to be documented as a recovered kill...how many times does the DEC have to be told of gut shooting deer and shot and rot deals...and why is it that the government can't see that paying out thousands of dollars every year to farmers especially nurseries could in a few years be eliminated..... that spending several thousands of dollars out to high fence these places...most farms have both wooded and open farmed fields...fine fence just the fields...just the vineyards...  ....Ya I know.... then we'd have a starving deer and turkey population..or would we...I know we'd have some poor farmers...Oopps not.... for then there would be the Devastating mobs of ground hogs to get $$$ for...yes ..Just thinking on this I digress into sarcasm...sorry

Its the same old ME ME ME mentality without looking at the whole picture.. a good example would be: farmers won't let people hunt there land , then they wonder why there is a deer problem... if they let a certain amount of hunters keep the herd down naturally year after year they could keep populations in check without nuisance permits. seems it would be better to be proactive than reactive if my livelyhood was at stake.