Field dressing question

Borngeechee

Hope you don't gut shoot em and it's warm out. Curious why you wouldn't field dress them? 

The way I was taught  and what I always considered normal was to gut the deer IMMEDIATELY after shooting it.  I have stood over many a deer with my knife in my hand, waiting for it to stop kicking so I could  begin field dressing.  The dragging begins AFTER the deer is dressed.

However, I have learned since then that it is very common practice in the southern states to bring the carcass out INTACT.   The deer is commonly dressed back home or in camp in a butchering shed, or very often delivered to a processor guts and all to be skinned, gutted and  cut up..

Go figure...

Carrion eaters have to eat too. Assuming it is not in somebody's lawn of in the middle of a footpath, or along the side of the road, leave it there for the critters. Whether the location is appropriate or not is a judgment call. When in doubt, move it out of sight.

Good call Doc. It is the right thing to do. I also will drag a deer away from the tree stand area so when the coyotes come in to clean up the pile, they wont spook the deer from the area if I plan on setting someone else in that stand soon. Maybe it doesn't matter, but it seems to make sense to me.

Good call Doc. It is the right thing to do. I also will drag a deer away from the tree stand area so when the coyotes come in to clean up the pile, they wont spook the deer from the area if I plan on setting someone else in that stand soon. Maybe it doesn't matter, but it seems to make sense to me.

In my experience, a deer is not all that spooked by a yote or two. A healthy deer would stomp a mudhole in em and walk it dry. Also, yotes will usually lay low til low light if they smell humans in the woods( and they do smell you).

Using a Gen 4 nightvision rifle scope while out yote hunting we've watched 3-4 yotes in the same field as 3-4 deer and niether group even cared.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

well i bring them home and gut them in the garage, I can take my time, It puts me on the ground

in my hunting area for a shorter period of time, Im not taking clothes off so i dont get them

bloody and scenting everything up, Now that i have a deer cart dragging a deer isnt a real big

work out and to me it does seem to make a difference in the way the deer act on my lease,

In my experience, a deer is not all that spooked by a yote or two. A healthy deer would stomp a mudhole in em and walk it dry. Also, yotes will usually lay low til low light if they smell humans in the woods( and they do smell you).

Using a Gen 4 nightvision rifle scope while out yote hunting we've watched 3-4 yotes in the same field as 3-4 deer and niether group even cared.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I have had hunts busted because coyotes came walking through the stand site, and off go the deer just-a-blowing. But they do live in the same woods together and are aware of each other, however I guess they aren't the best of friends. In my area, we have a lot of coyotes so I kind of gotten used to "if you see a coyote, most likely you wont see a deer for at least a couple hours". Very interesting that you have seen deer and coyotes at the same time in the same field. Still, I am not going to rush out and by coyote pee for cover scent just yet....LOL!

We shot a couple of deer opening day. It got very cold for the rest of the season. Don't you know some of the guts froze into the ground. The crows were such a pain in the ass making noise all day long fighting over the frozen guts. It was a bothersome all day hearing those crows.