AR- who would benefit and who wants it.

noodle one

This pass Sunday I was talking to Paul from Reading,PA. He is up to our hunt club as a guest of another member. I asked what his thoughts were on PA's mandatory AR in PA. I was surprised by some of his answers. He told me that he had mixed feeling about it. PA has not only AR, but also HD in place (Herd Reduction) the shooting of does. PA wants to bring the deer herd more in to balance (bucks to does) . He told me that he hunts on private land that is next to SGL (State Game Lands). He said that before AR there were more deer ,but smaller bucks.  Before AR he would see 15 to 20 deer in a day of hunting. Now with AR in place they are seeing fewer deer, but bigger bucks. Before AR they would take 6 or 7 bucks a year and a few does. With AR in place they take 1 or 2 bucks and 10 to 12 does. He said that on the SGL before AR the hunters would shoot out the deer herd and they wouldn't see any deer the SGL after season. Now with AR in place they are seeing a few deer left after season.

What he told next is what surprised me. He said that the PA bowhunters put the pressure on the PA Game Comm. to bring in AR., they are the ones who really wanted it in place and pushed for it. He said the bowhunters are getting the most benefits from it. The bowhunters are taken most of the bigger bucks and the gun hunters are getting the left overs. In PA , part of the state has 3 points or better on one side and some parts of the state has 4 points or better. He said that the bowhunters are now pushing to have it 4 points on one side or better through out the whole state.

We know that NY already has HD in place in parts of the state. Some days you are lucky to see a doe. Just take a look at the doe kill. The deer herd (does) is going down. Do we want AR in place to keep one small group of hunters happy. What do you think?

Oh, yes I almost forgot that he said that the PA SGC.  passed the crossbow hunting in bow season because it was to keep the gun hunters happy and off their backs. So come on lets hear your thoughts on this. 

The doe take in NY is going down because they have cut the number of doe permits. The DEC allowed the glut of DMPs because the herd was too big, they dont care about the buck to doe ratio.

Do I want to see AR? Im on the fence about it, there are more effective means to try and cut down on the 1.5 y/o buck take. Out here in the fingerlakes, most 1.5s would meet the 3 points per side anyway, so it would do nothing to save them. In other parts of the state, I hear from the hunters there that it works for them.

In NJ they have a few AR areas.  When the doe herd was high, bow hunters were required to kill a doe before they were given a buck tag.  They could kill as many doe as they wanted after that too.  Only 1 buck per season was allowed though.

As long as the bow hunters are getting a head start on deer hunting, they will literally get first shot at the big bucks, and the bow season usually runs in the middle of the rut.  It used to be a lot harder to hunt deer with a bow.  Today's compounds, and now crossbows, have made it easier.

There is no reason gun hunters can't take up a bow too.  But eventually, the deer herd will shrink with AR, and the bow season, and gun season, will also become shorter.

AR means more big bucks, but fewer deer.  That is considered to be the best deer situation in the eyes of the DEC and the public.  Wildlife management, done correctly, will control the herd as effectively as possible.  It isn't supposed to manage the herd to make hunters happy.

first purchased tag should be either sex imo... anybuck needing a buck tag and 1 buck a year...

Ars arent the answer but neither is your buck take being 80% 1.5yo or lesser

I back them for theyre simple...but we have a laundry list of managment issues here.. (dont get me going on gun season)