Owl

the blur

Saw an Owl today;  he was within 20 yards.  Beautiful animal.  I kicked him up walking in, and he watched me for a bit.  I'm glad they're protected,  as I could had easily plastered him with my 7mm.  Instead I watched him, and he watched me for a while.

Then I took my eyes off him to look down hill, and I looked back up;  he was gone, or he blended in so well I could not find him again.

It's unusal to see them active during the day.

Even if they wern't protected, I wouldn't have shoot upwards into a tree, as there was highway, and houses on the other side of the mountain.....

Would have made a nice trophy.

Several years ago,while sitting 20 feet up in a stand,A snow white owl landed on a branch in the tree next to mine.He stared at me for a minute,Then glided through the woods and out of site.He was a fellow hunter out doing the same thing I was doing.I hear them all the time in Suffolk County,hooting while  walking into the woods just before dawn.

I have been standing on stand in a tree before and all of the sudden have a hawk or owl fly right at me. Talk about flinching I almost fell out of my tree once. They must sit out there and seen me move but couldn't figure out what I was. It is really cool to experience that sort of thing.

When I go crow hunting, I always get hawks to fly in. They think it's easy prey. They will sit there for a long time and just watch me. When I put the crow and hawk fight call on, it's wild to watch. The crows will be flying all around me with the hawk in the middle of them squawking. They will never attack each other during this time either. Of course I can't shoot because of the hawk, But I like to watch and learn from this.

• 3 weeks later...

walked in first morning and watched an owl swoop down 5 yards from me and land in a tree. i did the same thing. looked away for a minute and couldnt find him agin till he took off. amazing creatures. saw one last year take a chimpmunk off of a log that i was watching run around and an owl took him. pretty cool