Crossbows

sodfather

I love it when these discussions degenerate into people pulling out their imaginary dictionarys and trying to declare their personal versions of term definition. It happens about a dozen times in each one of these crossbow threads. Look, just admit that you want to jam weapons other than bows into bowseason and be done with it. That I understand and we don't have to sit there and parse every syllable and play the Clinton game of defining what the meaning of "is" is.........again.  ;)

I didnt pull out an "imaginary dictionary" and come up with anything. Ive posted the definitions of crossbows in the past, use google and look it up for yourself. FITA and most of the other major archery organizations consider a crossbow to be archery equipment. I dont see you saying the same thing when someone gives a spin on the definition of a crossbow as a gun. I wonder why? Pretty convenient that you start your brow beating only when someone disagrees with your opinion.  ::(

Like I said, Id like to see all archery equipment in archery season.

I love it when these discussions degenerate into people pulling out their imaginary dictionarys and trying to declare their personal versions of term definition. It happens about a dozen times in each one of these crossbow threads. Look, just admit that you want to jam weapons other than bows into bowseason and be done with it. That I understand and we don't have to sit there and parse every syllable and play the Clinton game of defining what the meaning of "is" is.........again.  ;)

I didnt pull out an "imaginary dictionary" and come up with anything. Ive posted the definitions of crossbows in the past, use google and look it up for yourself. FITA and most of the other major archery organizations consider a crossbow to be archery equipment. I dont see you saying the same thing when someone gives a spin on the definition of a crossbow as a gun. I wonder why? Pretty convenient that you start your brow beating only when someone disagrees with your opinion.  ::(

Like I said, Id like to see all archery equipment in archery season.

I'm not browbeating anyone, and by the way, I have never said that a crossbow is a gun. In fact, I have never seen anyone saying that a crossbow is a gun. I have no idea where you come up with this stuff. It must be from that imaginary dictionary that says that a crossbow is a bow and belongs in bow season.  ;)

Either NY has the stupidest Fish & Game Dept on earth, or the anti-crossbow crowd got them to vote for this law this way.

Why on earth would anyone choose to use a crossbow in the gun season?  What point would it serve? 

If it were legal in the bow season it might give an advantage to the hunter over a bow.  But compared to a finger released longbow, so does a recurve and a compound.

And compared to a flintlock ML, there is a huge advantage to a percussion cap rifle or a 150 grain powder charge capable, scoped inline rifle.

So why all the resistance to a crossbow in bow season?  I really do not see any logic in the argument.  It is obvious a line has been drawn by bow men in this debate, and that line is arbitrary and protectionist against others who do not see archery season the same way they do.

If you side with the anti-crossbow crowd, you are showing no appreciation for other hunters who stood with you when the anti's went after bow hunting as unusually cruel.  Maybe the next time bow hunting is attacked, other hunters will stay silent.  Are bow hunters sure they want to burn that bridge?  Are they sure they can afford to in the future?

We all must hang together, or we will surely all hang separately.

Doc read the New York Bowhunters website.. they absolutely relate a crossbow with a gun!

Yes, I think there are definite features on a crossbow that relate to a gun, but I still don't think that anyone is giving "a spin on the definition of a crossbow as a gun". I think that anyone with decent vision can see that a crossbow is not a gun and is not a bow. And, I don't know anyone who is really confused on that point. There are those that would blur the lines on those definitions, but a crossbow is a unique and specific weapon that should not be confused with either a bow or a gun.

Doc

You guys are probably right crossbows are here to stay I just don't think they are a bow. Should be cross guns. ;)

Doc, you didnt see this post apparently. Plenty more instances of similar comparison have been posted in previous threads on the subject.

Saying things like "imaginary dictiontaries" and "play the Clinton game..." arent brow beating? Really? Sounds like brow beating to me.

Twist it how you want, but a crossbow IS archery equipment and in the same group as a bow. I didnt come up with the classification, so you are just shooting the messenger here.

Should we do another 500 replies on crossbows (34 pages on just one of the threads)? Starts pretty easy doesn't it? Somebody lays out for the hundredth time some thought that they figured sounded pretty profound (as though one more repeating of the same line would magically convert it to fact), and then a dummy like me comes along and picks up the bait.... ;D .

I think I'll set that bait back down now before we wind up boring each other with another 500 repeat arguments  ;) .

Doc

Quit saying crossbows are like guns . When it gets close to having crossbows legal during regular season , I will spend some of my Social securuty money on one of the PSE Tac-15 crossbows with a speed of 408 fps . It can be mounted to the lower receiver of my AR-15 . I'll wait because something faster with more range of 100 yards might come out before they are legal in regular season .

I'm new at this stuff and I'm just making my comments based on logic instead of experience so take it with a grain of salt if you will.

I think the two determining factors as to why crossbows are grouped with guns is 1. terminal range.  Crossbow arrows may not travel as far as bullets but don't they go further than bows?  If a crossbow arrow misses in an area that is densely populated like Westchester county which I think is archery only county, there is a better chance it can hit a nearby home or something.  2. Animal control.  Crossbow hunters would have such an added advantage during archery season that the number of deer takes would jump beyond the number the DEC would allow.  This would force the DEC to either shorten the hunting season or reduce the number of tags it hands out which would piss off the rifle hunters and bow hunters altogether.  By forcing cross bow hunters to hunt during rifle season, there would not be any major increase in the number of deers taken during the season.

And finally, a friend of mine who is also trying to get into hunting thought about going with crossbow but he figured that this was signed off by Gov Paterson and it's not firm.  Now that Coumo is in, it can just as easily be erased.  He didn't want to spend all that money on a crossbow only to have it banned a few years later.