Gas and Oil Industry Courting Hunters

If you are going to attend a clay shooting fundraiser, don't do it for the gas industry please. These clowns will stoop to anything. They have been trying to convince hunters that hunters and the gas industry are partners... If you hunted doves and traveled out of state to gas land, you would see these sort of newspaper ads all over. Ridiculous...

• Like 1

Can we leave Cuomo and/or the Safe Act out of one post? Cuomo, like Obama, was initially Pro-fracking. Obama probably still is. Currently, Last I heard, Cuomo is not committing to a stance on fracking, and is going along with the legislature and the public and agrees to  weigh a health impact study not yet completed.

The intended message here, is the industry is spending money and making an effort to befriend hunters. They don't offer me a darn thing, if you think they offer you something, then be pro-fracking. Personally I am anti-fracking.... I am also anti-BS. And it gets under my skin that the industry is basically trying to weasel their way into the good graces of the hunting community. I think disingenuous weaseling gets under the skin of most people.

Cuomo didn't act alone in the safe act, and there are more vulnerable politicians in the legislature than him. A lot of all this is just wind or a loyalty to the republican party, because if one was truly concerned, they would be after those in the legislature, including the republicans who wrote the safe act and the republicans who voted for the safe act. Cuomo is under a term limit, the lawmakers are not.... We have one of the most egregious republicans in senate district 60 reeling, yet why aren't all the tough guys pouring it on? Promote Kevin Stocker who took the republican nomination away from Grisanti.

On this site, below each post there are buttons for FB, twitter, google plus and other social media sites - start using them...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The article is correct on the specific content in which it explores. It talks solely about the green house gas emissions. If you burn a therm (1000,000 Btu) of natural gas and one therms worth of #6, #4, #2 oil, or coal (the fuels natural gas is replacing), you would have less green house gas (co2 & co2e) emissions than if you burnt those other fuels. That's easy to illustrate mathematically. In all reality they could replace the article with a simple excel chart...

What the article doesn't touch on, and the reason for the controversy, is the method in which the natural gas is obtained. The method is dangerous and the fluids used (last I have heard) are not yet vetted. Last conference I attended on the topic there was a presenter talking about the fracking and the fluid being used was "proprietary", therefor they would not disclose all ingredients. Hydraulic fracking also raises another eyebrow because of the pressure in which the fluid is pumped deep underground. When doing this, you are messing with very old geologic formations that are unpredictable. What happens when something geologic related moves due to delta P (change in pressure)? You can't simply send a crew down there to remedy the problem. Then we have this mystery fluid down there, near water sources... Even if just the natural gas gets in the water, you have just introduced hydrocarbons to the water... I wouldn't want to drink that and doubt you would either. 

Nice article but...only half the story. 

Half the story, yes.  But the only half with factually quantifiable data, rather than speculation and accusation.  The other side of the story has a lot of "what if's", "maybe's" and "suppose's".  If the anti side is correct, they should be able to prove their claims.  Until they can, I do not accept their claims.

Like the Global Warming advocates, they need to prove their claims to justify their agenda.

I'm sorry, your absolutely correct. I completely forgot that we shouldn't question or most importantly research unknowns. As I stated before I would need to charge tuition to go further.

Half the story, yes.  But the only half with factually quantifiable data, rather than speculation and accusation.  The other side of the story has a lot of "what if's", "maybe's" and "suppose's".  If the anti side is correct, they should be able to prove their claims.  Until they can, I do not accept their claims.

Like the Global Warming advocates, they need to prove their claims to justify their agenda.

Nobody suggested we shouldn't question or research.  What was said is we shouldn't make claims without proof.  The anti gun crowd and the global warming crowd do it constantly to support their agenda and their claims have been proven false.  There are plenty of fracking areas, all over America, where answers to claims can be proven, if they are true.  As of this date, most anti-fracking claims remain accusations.

In order to have a more intellectually unbiased opinion, you may have to pay tuition, and avoid anti-fracking seminars pushing an agenda.

• Like 1

Having been involved in local election politics, I can state unequivocally that opposition to fracking cuts completely across party lines in rural Otsego County. A long-term Republican Councilman lost to a first time independent in my town last year. This is unprecedented. Fracking was the single issue that separated them. Until more is known, I don't want this in my neighborhood.

My VJP is correct to a point. The science about fracking is growing daily and it doesn't look good.

I own my whole watershed but according to NYS law, if my neighbors go along with the oil and gas companies, they can drill under me and I can't stop them. For those of you who think fracking is a good idea, how can you support such a violation of individual property rights?

I was under the impression you had to sell them the rights to go under your land.  When they come into an area, they pay a price per acre to all landowners for the right to extract from the shale deep below your land.  Why would they pay each landowner if they could go under your land without buying the rights?

No, you don't have to sell them anything. The Oil, Gas and Solution Mining Law allows them to drill under unwilling landowners. The gas company must have leases to 60% of a unit. I think a unit is a square mile. The units can be defined by the gas company. They can gerrymander a large lease into units to take advantage of unwilling owners around it. The process is called Compulsory Integration - http://www.dec.ny.gov/energy/1590.html.

They must pay you royalties for the gas you don't want to sell. They get to meter the gas they pay you for. They are not allowed to set foot on your property - but they can drill under your feet.

It is an outrageous violation of property rights.

The units are different sizes depending on how deep they are going to drill. I found a old lease my grandfather had on the farm I own now. The farm is 200 acres and they wanted to drill in the Queenston Formation and those unit only need to be around 40 acres per well, so they could have drilled up to 4 wells on the property. Lucky they never drilled as this lease was all for the gas company and not for the land owner. The lease stated they had the right to 100,000 cf of gas per well before they started to pay a royalty .

Economist Stephen Moore: "The one common theme of the green marchers these days is they hate fracking, even though it has done more to reduce greenhouse gases than all the government subsidies to wind and solar power combined. The Sierra Club and other environmental groups which once saw natural gas as a valuable 'bridge' fuel to the future, now denounce this wonder fuel. ... Shale gas is a wonder fuel because it is clean-burning, abundant, domestically produced, and cheap. The price of natural gas has fallen by more than half over the last six years and we have at least 150 years of supply in the Marcellus Shale and elsewhere. The Left’s unhinged objections to natural gas exposes their real aspirations. They aren’t fighting to stop global warming or the rise of the oceans; they’re fighting to stop growth itself. Americans better wake up to that reality, before the greens actually succeed."

Would be interesting if a compressed air option can be developed to replace the liquid under pressure method in busting up the shale, then numerous concerns on water quality underground and above ground could be greatly reduced. Just a thought.

Economist Stephen Moore: "The one common theme of the green marchers these days is they hate fracking, even though it has done more to reduce greenhouse gases than all the government subsidies to wind and solar power combined. The Sierra Club and other environmental groups which once saw natural gas as a valuable 'bridge' fuel to the future, now denounce this wonder fuel. ... Shale gas is a wonder fuel because it is clean-burning, abundant, domestically produced, and cheap. The price of natural gas has fallen by more than half over the last six years and we have at least 150 years of supply in the Marcellus Shale and elsewhere. The Left’s unhinged objections to natural gas exposes their real aspirations. They aren’t fighting to stop global warming or the rise of the oceans; they’re fighting to stop growth itself. Americans better wake up to that reality, before the greens actually succeed."

So, if I want to preserve my property rights and pure water, how do I fit into this "theme"?

Do you like the idea of home rule, or do you think the court should have ruled that towns have to accept it?

So, if I want to preserve my property rights and pure water, how do I fit into this "theme"?

Do you like the idea of home rule, or do you think the court should have ruled that towns have to accept it?

It won't affect your property rights, and unless there is a well drilled on your property that has a leaking shaft, it won't affect your water, because is way too far below it.

I think home rule is a problem because the majority of voters don't own a lot of land and are being scared by anti-fracking accusations.  Most of those who are for it own big land parcels and are in the minority of total voters in a given area.  But the economic benefits of the gas production, from jobs, to taxes and peripheral income at diners, stores, gas stations, etc., benefits all in the area.  Until the negative claims from fracking are proven, I thing the quote above from Economist Stephen Moore is accurate.

It won't affect your property rights, and unless there is a well drilled on your property that has a leaking shaft, it won't affect your water, because is way too far below it.

I think home rule is a problem because the majority of voters don't own a lot of land and are being scared by anti-fracking accusations.  Most of those who are for it own big land parcels and are in the minority of total voters in a given area.  But the economic benefits of the gas production, from jobs, to taxes and peripheral income at diners, stores, gas stations, etc., benefits all in the area.  Until the negative claims from fracking are proven, I thing the quote above from Economist Stephen Moore is accurate.

Let's set aside the possibility of a leak. Are you saying that drilling under someone's land and forcing them to sell their personal property is not a violation of individual property rights?

Now regarding contamination, there are multiple issues of health and safety which the industry wants to ignore beyond water contamination: the highest ozone pollution in the country is in a gas field in rural CO. Read a little about Dish TX and what happened there.

You believe they drill too deep to affect my water. Are you aware of the geologic faults that have been mapped in Otsego County? Are you aware that the lubricants in fracking fluid are causing small earthquakes along such faults? Do you know enough about geology to assure me the faults are not a pathway for contamination? True, most leaks are around well casings. That is no comfort if they drill next to my property line.

My daughter worked in this industry before going back to school for her Ph.D. She told me the "best case scenario" for me if drilling went forward in NYS was someone would drill a dry hole near me and they would give up on my area.

There are so many concerns about this technology, caution and patience is warranted. Others are now the guinea pigs for this industry. Let's see how well they do as health studies continue.

There has been a lot of propaganda from both sides. Let the industry prove the legitimate negative claims are not true before they put me and my family at risk. The gas is not going anywhere.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/albany/2014/10/8553530/cuomo-administration-edited-and-delayed-key-fracking-study

interesting read.

I had no idea they were considering another salt storage facility for NG after the one in Avoca went belly up. That one failed when they couldn't get the sand layer in the disposal wells to accept the volume of salt solution that was going to be produced during the cavern construction.

Let's set aside the possibility of a leak. Are you saying that drilling under someone's land and forcing them to sell their personal property is not a violation of individual property rights?

Legally, it's not.  And no one forces you to sell.  You can hold out as long as you like and they cannot drill below your land until you sell to them.  Many people hold out as long as they can and get paid higher prices per acre than those who sold out right away. How deep below ground do you think your property rights go?

Now regarding contamination, there are multiple issues of health and safety which the industry wants to ignore beyond water contamination: the highest ozone pollution in the country is in a gas field in rural CO. Read a little about Dish TX and what happened there.

And with proper regulations in place, it doesn't happen every where else.

You believe they drill too deep to affect my water. Are you aware of the geologic faults that have been mapped in Otsego County? Are you aware that the lubricants in fracking fluid are causing small earthquakes along such faults? Do you know enough about geology to assure me the faults are not a pathway for contamination? True, most leaks are around well casings. That is no comfort if they drill next to my property line.

The gas companies are sure enough about the faults to guarantee your water will not become contaminated or they will supply you with free spring water for life. There is a certain distance required around all wells that would keep it far from your property line

My daughter worked in this industry before going back to school for her Ph.D. She told me the "best case scenario" for me if drilling went forward in NYS was someone would drill a dry hole near me and they would give up on my area.

Hearsay and accusation is the main attack the greenies use.

There are so many concerns about this technology, caution and patience is warranted. Others are now the guinea pigs for this industry. Let's see how well they do as health studies continue.

To date all concerns have proven unfounded and health studies take a lifetime.  How long do you want NY's economy to suffer the lack of growth it has now?

There has been a lot of propaganda from both sides. Let the industry prove the legitimate negative claims are not true before they put me and my family at risk. The gas is not going anywhere.

You cannot prove something will not happen.  You can only prove something will happen.  Can all gun owners prove they will never use a gun to commit a crime?  No?  Should we disarm all gun owners?  

The gas isn't going anywhere, but neither is NY's job growth and economy.  This is a opportunity waiting, but it may not wait forever.