adkbuck Whitetail Challenge thread

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guys,

Not a big scorer but I was very grateful to get him. He was chasing a doe when I stopped him with a verbal grunt.  Looked at the arrow 10 minutes after the shot and it looked like a good pass through.  Found him  within 35 or 40 yards of the hit and I was very grateful for that as well. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last Day Buck

On Sunday in the rain and the snow we cut and gave away Christmas trees and I was pretty tired when I woke up Sunday morning.  After a nice breakfast with wife I packed up and headed out.  The weather conditions were ideal for deer movement today.  The wind out of the NE and NW at 5-10 mph with clear skies an cold temperatures was (teens with a high of 23 forecast for this afternoon.  .

I hiked up the ridge with all my usual outer layer clothing tied onto my back pack so I wouldn’t sweat.  I got in my deer stand at 8:25.  I put my outer layers on and climbed up the tree.  I had just pulled up the shotgun and put my heavy cotton gloves back on when I heard something about 50 or 60 yards to the NE.  I saw it was a deer and  then I saw he was a buck.  He was moving slowly from east to west up wind of me.  He didn’t have a huge rack but he had a good sized body.  The sun was also to my advantage, directly to my south.   I could see he was going to cross an opening at about 35 or 40 yards.

I grunted and stopped the deer when he was in the opening and took the shot.  In retrospect I may have fired a bit too fast.  He took off running but I could see that I had hit him and he was running up a hill the swung back down and around back to the NE. He disappeared from view and I hoped that he may have dropped.  I waited about 20 minutes before I came out of the tree.  I couldn’t find any blood.  But soon found him dead about 50 or 60 yards from the place of the shot.  I had hit him in the shoulder muck closer to the front of the deer from where I had wanted.  Fortunately it was a lethal shot and the buck went down quickly.  He apparently had been doing quite a bit of fighting as his right beam was broken off at the point where it forked with the third tine.  I was very grateful for him.   The buck is a young one but I decided to take him as we have a growing family of venison eaters (two new grand children this fall alone).   Photos below.  I included a photo of his smaller (right side) brow tine since it is barely an inch and leave the decision to WNYBuckhunter and the powers to be as to whether or not he is a 7 pointer. 

post-725-0-68767500-1418044296_thumb.jpg

post-725-0-27176600-1418044326_thumb.jpg

post-725-0-49621400-1418044346_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Joe and WNY, 

Thanks.  I am happy have him called a six point.  Just wanted to explain my thinking a bit.   According to B&C the length of a point is measured along the outside of the point starting from where it arises from the beam to the tip.  This is why I thought it might be a legal point.  By this definition a point can be a bit longer than the length bisected with the imaginary line across beam top surface (see B&C diagram):

post-725-0-61188000-1418055704_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to explain the way I took the measurement.  I am fine having him called a 6 pointer. 

We have a method for getting the continuation of beam across the point... using a piece of tape at the intersection of point and top of beam.. we run a string from one side of point to the other, holding the string on the top of the beam on each side.. then make a mark on the tape at the bottom of the point where the string passes through.. then measure the outside of the point (following the curve of point if there is one) from the tip of the point to the mark made. The image in the last post is just a poor image of the same thing.

point must be at least 1" and must exceed the width at the base of the point.. you can call it a point if you like... it's just not a scorable one

• Like 4

Joe, I agree with you . It all make perfect sense  Since I have no training in scoring racks I really wasn't sure.  Anyway I though the best thing to do was to call attention to it because without some sort of a measurement it is impossible to tell if it was a scoreable point or not.  That photo on the B&C site is a little misleading to the uninitiated. 

Edited by adkbuck

Joe, I agree with you . It all make perfect sense  Since I have no training in scoring racks I really wasn't sure.  Anyway I though the best thing to do was to call attention to it because without some sort of a measurement it is impossible to tell if it was a scoreable point or not.  The photo on the B&C site is a little misleading. 

For the record.. in my personal book that's a 7-point :) Congrats!

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...