Property Logged

I don't know when our property was logged last....if ever, but the hill is opened up now. I think the deer and other critters will appreciate it. I got some good ATV roads up the hill now too so I don't have to haul my tired old butt up the hill by foot. That just added a few years to my hunting. Yeah, it looks a bit messy right now. Too bad I don't still burn firewood.....lol.

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

• Like 10

19 hours ago, PraiseDiana said:

How did you choose a logging company?

The next-door neighbor had his property logged, so I grabbed the guy and he was happy to  do ours. Some of the roads turned out useable for both of us, and we used a common landing on the neighbors property (which saved some of the damage that usually happens around where logs are piled and loaded onto the trucks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Farflung said:

might want to consider a few broad-based water bars that will prevent erosin but also allow ATV's to pass over them. Maybe the  logger put them in, and they do not show on the pictures. And you are right, the deer will love this.

I have hunted a lot of logged land over the years, and erosion doesn't seem to be a problem as long as the roads tack their way back and forth and do not go straight up the hill. we had an ancient log road that went straight up the hill from decades ago and it held up pretty good. Of course there are existing ravines that formed over the centuries, and they do most of the drainage of the hill already. However most of the tops left behind wound up in those ravines, and likely will slow the natural erosion of them. So erosion concerns should be even less than before.

3 hours ago, virgil said:

Was there a cost, or do you make a few bucks on this?

Actually, I made more than just a "few bucks". The deal was 50:50. He gets half the income from the mill and I get half. With the price of lumber these days, that's a pretty good amount of money.

• Like 3

My oldest son has a camp in Italy Valley . There is a steep trail up the hill and it has water bars . They can be pretty tricky . I almost flipped my ATV over backwards going up the steep hill and over the water bars . The basket on the back kept me from flipping over but scared the heck out of me . Once up the hill , there are fire lanes that go across the hill . His property was logged about 15 years ago . 

• Like 1

Actually, the drainage on the hill is pretty good with ravines that are not too far apart handling most of the run-off. We had an old horse trail that ran straight up the hill. I wouldn't even guess when that was actively used. but it was before tractors, I am sure. It has held pretty darn good over all the years it has been in existence. It's only the most recent couple of years that it has shown any erosion at all and that trail still was being used for ATV travel. It was a little washed out in spots, but with a little caution it could be used. Now I have some nice wide roads that wind their way up the hill instead of going straight up.......Much safer.

I am not really familiar with "water bars", but I didn't see anything put into the roads for water diversion, but at every turn in the road, the water dumps off the road, so it never gets a chance to build up any volume. So erosion should be minimal.