little help here

jojo68

Im new here and new to hunting. Its been frustrating trying to learn n get info on turkey hunting in ny. I live on long island and have been trying to find somewhere to take a day trip to with my gf and give our first try at this. Shes really been into the turkey hunting learning n reading and i know she has her heart set to go. Ive tried looking up places but cant and dont wana go somewhere where my already crap newb odds are worse lol. Any tips or anything is appreciated.

I prefer the spring because of the type of calling and Fall usually conflicts with bow for deer.

Just curious. If you are new to hunting, why starting with turkey? To be honest. they can be one of the most frustrating animals to hunt IMO.. you may want to consider cutting your teeth on some other type of small game.

• Like 1

If plan on Turkey hunting in Sterling, it is only bow until Nov.1 and you need a permit from Sterling.  Nov. 1st is start for firearms in the portions that allow hunting.  Note there are Bow only areas and some no-hunting areas.  The hunting guide pamphlet is needed.

There are places at Stewart State forest too, but you are competing for the single parking spots scattered through out the interior for Deer, Turkey, pheasant, duck, and small game hunters.

I have seen Turkeys in parts of Westchester, but sure where to hunt there, but you can look into that too.

I have been busted by turkeys a few times, their eyesight and ability to move quietly is no joke. Then there is the smart one that just sat behind my vehicle in the parking area where it could not be shot at.

Take some Hunter Orange to display when other hunters are near.  You do not want to be mistaken for a turkey.  I have called in another hunter before.  At least I had a better view by being uphill from them - stopped calling and put on my blaze orange hat.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you prefer spring over fall? And thanks for the responses fellas

Mostly a spring bird hunter here. Only went once in fall and did manage to kill a nice tom though. 

Spring: listening to the woods wake up, thrushes, catbirds, phoebes, robins and cardinals singing before it's even shooting light, newborn fawns. I LIVE for spring bird hunting. Warmer. Gobblers are ripping hard . Fall bird hunting is tougher in birds don't come to the call as easily, less likely to gobble at your call. Most guys I know leave fall birds alone. Actually just read an article in NWTF magazine asking hunters to abstain from fall hunting. No desire to shoot a hen ( not opposed to people doing it as everyones prize is different. ) I'll wait and dream of May 1.