Awesome first week of the season and first deer down!

StevieSacs

Ive had a pretty awesome first week of hunting so far.   This is my second year at it and I've been fortunate enough to see some good action.

Went up to my cuz's hunting cabin up in Roxbury for the first 3 days of the season.  I really wanted to tag a bear, so I set up over one of his food plots that he had seen bear activity at and hoped to see some action.   On the 2nd day of the hunt I was fortunate enough to have a 150lb sow come in with two cubs.  Obviously not going to shoot a mother and cubs, I watched them play around on their two legs while the mother was looking around for food.  One of the cubs was chasing the other one, right to the tree i was sitting in.  Not knowing I was sitting 15' above them, one of the cubs actually started climbing my tree.   This is when the mother walked over and started to smell the ladder of the stand and knew something was up.  She ended up taking off and the cubs quickly followed, but I was basically $hltting my pants. 

Saturday I came back to Westchester and sat for the afternoon hunt.  Few does came by the stand in the first few hours, but let them walk.  I decided to take my rattlers out and see if I can call in this big 7  that I have on camera.  Started rattling with no response, waited an hour until it was almost last shooting light and tried them again.  Within 2 minutes I had buck come in.  The deer looked like it had a nice big body, but It was getting dark and i couldn't tell if it was the big boy or not.   I decided to let him walk.  He ended up seeing me while I was moving around trying to see how big he was, and he ran off snorting and wheezing for a good 2 minutes.  

Sunday morning I went to my other spot in Westchester and posted up in my stand.  Within 30 minutes of sitting I had 2 does come in.  I decided I had passed up on enough already this season and decided to take one.  I picked the bigger of the two and waiting for her to come in.  As soon as she turned her head to look around i drew on her.  Waited for a perfect broadside shot and smoked her.  She went about 30 yards and dropped.  My first deer ever was down!  After about 10 minutes of not moving, I got out of the stand and went to go check her out.  Both lungs were deflated and i'm pretty sure I got the heart too.

She wasn't very big at all, but I was super happy with her.   I have definitely been lucky so far this season, but hope I can take down the big boy soon.

I can't even tell you how addicted I am to bow hunting now.

-Stevie Sac

• Like 5