what percent?

fisher2

20% tops, backstraps become roasts along with some of the bigger cuts of the hind quarter. most of the rest of the back legs become stew meat chunks. this year we tried doing some bone-in roasts from the front shoulder, cooked one last night in the crock pot, came out great. kinda like a pot roast. gonna do something like that with the shanks too.

I agree.  First time I made Jerky myself.  I didn't want to invest the time in cutting muscle meat so I opted for the ground.  Either will work, although I have heard cutting strips opposed to ground tastes better. 

This will work for now, beggers can't be choosers.

Bought a jerky shooter, used it once. Did not like results. Whole batch became dog treats. I'll only use muscle meat, store bought mix which I add a few things too. Goes in oven at 180 degrees for a few hours. Everyone tells me my jerky is stellar. Helpful hint in cutting muscle meat into strips: cut it when it's about half thawed. Makes it alot easier .

• Like 2