Recipes For Rabbit

I ate rabbit years ago, like decades ago actually. My grandmother use to put it in a dutch over with herbs and garlic. She would set vegetables around it. As I recall, it was good. She also pan fried it sometimes.

Does anyone have a good recipe that they would like to share?  Thank you in advance.

The best meat that I have ever had was domestic rabbit. We raised a bunch of them, and they were delicious. I have had wild rabbit also, but there is no comparison. Wife breaded and deep fried the tame ones just like colonel Sanders would do it, And to this day I still remember that flavor. 

• Like 2

I’ve always just cooked them in the crockpot on low with cream of mushroom soup, the same as I do squirrels.  Wild cottontails are ok that way, but grey squirrel is considerably better.  Starting next weekend; I’ll be getting out after them.  

I’ve never had tame rabbit, but I suppose I’d cook them up the tame (same) way.  Maybe they would rival the wild squirrels a little more than the wild rabbits do.  

• Like 1

Doc is right about domestic rabbits, they are very tasty and their meat is not as dry and as tough as wild rabbits. I do wild rabbits like wolc, low and slow in a crockpot, cream of mushroom soup is great for flavoring so is alfredo sauce.

Slow cooking the meat off the bone and making vegetable soup or stews, slow cooking them in a good tomato sauce is pretty good also.

I used to be a fanatical rabbit hunter and if I had a dollar for everyone I ate I could buy a pretty nice side by side double.

Al

• Like 1

Domestic meat rabbits are sedentary, fed a controlled diet and are slaughtered young (10 wks on average). Wild rabbits live life on the run and have a different diet. Domestic meat is therefore more consistent in taste and tenderness. I cook it frequently. 

You don't need a crock pot or anything special to slow cook rabbit. Any old heavy bottom pot with a lid will do. As previously mentioned there are a plethora of rabbit recipes on the web. Find one that sounds good and give it a try. I'm sure you can easily find one similar to your grandmother's. I'm sure it'll be great.

My go to for farm raised is par boiled till tender, coated in Louisiana fish fry mix and oven baked. Crazy good. Good luck!