carp recipes

Doc

Is there any good recipes that make a carp edible. And I'm not talking about the pine board recipe. I have tried to eat the critters a couple of times and was never able to finish the meal because of the nasty taste. I caught one once that had black colored meat. I threw it out before I even finished cleaning it. I caught a small one out of Hemlock lake, and the taste was terrible. They are fun to catch, but I haven't found a way to make them taste like anything that a human should eat. 

I will tell you what, Carp may not be my favorite fish to eat but they are one of my favorites to fish for. I have some pretty fancy dedicated Rods and reels just for Carp fishing, I have caught some whoppers.

I have fooled around eating some, what I have found most annoying is that the fillets are full of small bones. Brining them and putting them in a smoker yielded the best results, they were actually good.

Most of what I caught went to a buddy of mine and he would put them in his garden soil, the biggest Pumpkin I ever saw was one he grew on the carcass of a big Carp.

Youtube has many videos on how to prepare Carp for eating

Al

Edited by airedale

8 hours ago, airedale said:

I will tell you what, Carp may not be my favorite fish to eat but they are one of my favorites to fish for. I have some pretty fancy dedicated Rods and reels just for Carp fishing, I have caught some whoppers.

I have fooled around eating some, what I have found most annoying is that the fillets are full of small bones. Brining them and putting them in a smoker yielded the best results, they were actually good.

Most of what I caught went to a buddy of mine and he would put them in his garden soil, the biggest Pumpkin I ever saw was one he grew on the carcass of a big Carp.

Youtube has many videos on how to prepare Carp for eating

Al

My dad would bury them in the garden also. 

One day he asked me to rototill a area of the garden. He claims he "forgot" he buried a couple carp a few days beforehand. I wasn't amused.  

I did a lot of bowfishing for Carp when I was younger, there was a Jewish fellow that worked with my brother that took every single one I arrowed, he ate them all and thought we were crazy for burying them in the gardens. I have heard many times that Europeans and Asians love to eat Carp, as the old saying goes it is all in how they are prepared.

The video below is kind of long but the end product these gals from somewhere in Europe end up with looks impressive and tasty, I would eat it.

Al

I eaten smoked carp, pickled carp and carp made into fish patties. It's actually not awful to eat if it's prepped correctly and well seasoned. But that goes for pretty much every other other fish, fur or fowl as well. There are other things I would do with them before eating them.